News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Pristine & Untouched???

Started by Jerry, April 10, 2006, 11:01:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry

Fred Garfield wrote:

Heres another interesting item --

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1959-El-Dorado-Biarritz-UNTOUCHED-AND-PRISTINE_W0QQitemZ4628289857QQcatego TARGET=_blank>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1959-El-Dorado-Biarritz-UNTOUCHED-AND-PRISTINE_W0QQitemZ4628289857QQcatego

From his feedback, he looks like a reasonably honest seller. But expecting a buyer to shell out this kind of money with no photos of the engine compartment or undercarriage is strange -- especially for a guy whos sold a lot of cars on ebay.

(Sellers description: "1959 Cadillac El Dorado Biarritz finished in Black with Red Interior.  This stunning & limited production El Dorado Biarritz has been in the same owners collection for the last 17 years and is a 100percent original and untouched.  It has had some minor cosmetic and mechanical upgrades including a rumored paint job done 19 years ago,  fitted with a custom rear window, a permanently affixed continental kit and the air suspension was upgraded.  The owner of this beautiful, exciting and rare car is finally making it available from his private collection.  The car can be brought to its original condition with little effort or can be left in its current retrofitted condition for great driving and spectacular looks!  This car runs, drives and looks like a dream!")

I was taking a closer look at the car and thought it was worth commenting on the car since it is bid to $125k:

- wrong hubcaps
- redone interior in wrong leather
- we can assume that the 1,568 miles on the odometer are either A. 101, 568 or B. 1,568 miles since restoration
- "rumored paint job" is that a new way to post a disclaimer to anything else that you say as a seller?
- trunk compartment is not original lining but aftermarket carpeting
- how about including a picture with the top up and showing the custom rear window?
- as Fred mentions let see some pics of the undercarriage and engine compartment or are they too easy to indicate that the car has been fully restored (which if done correctly isnt a bad thing but contrary to what the seller states)

Granted this is a beautiful car; personally I dislike the gaudy aftermarket continental kit.  But what I want to know is - - what about the car is "100percent ORIGINAL AND UNTOUCHED"?

Johnny #662

Thanks for posting my feelings exactly about the car.  The only think I would add is that judging a car, wether in a contest or for buying, "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder!"

Dick Heller

Tail end appears extremely heavy with continental kit, hope it doesnt have air suspension (LOL).

Johnny - Hows the sunshine state?

Dick

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

All I can say is what a load of codswallop.

Pristine and Untouched my A**.

Electric Air Bags, Continental Kit that looks like it should be on the front of a train, and repainted.

One day, the authorities should clamp down on ALL people that publish untruths, especially on ebay.

What ever happened to "Truth in Advertising"?

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Barry M. Wheeler #2189

Pristine and untouched, means exactly that. Only minor maintenence items, perhaps tires, but other than that, NOTHING!
This is what we look for when judging original cars for the Past Presidents Awards.
This car wouldnt even be be considered.

Johnny #662

Quote from: Dick HellerTail end appears extremely heavy with continental kit, hope it doesnt have air suspension (LOL).

Johnny - Hows the sunshine state?

Dick

Sunshine state?  I guess for some it is, I would call it Gods Country!  Whats not to like down here?  I finally picked up my 85 Eldo, got some Freeze 12 and a shop to put it in, and I am good to good.  Life is great cruising around Florida in a 85 Cadillac Eldorado.....

Dave MacGregor #18998

Did you touch it?  I didnt either so it must be "untouched."

denise 20352

> Granted this is a beautiful car; personally I dislike the gaudy aftermarket continental kit. But what I want to know is - - what about the car is "100percent ORIGINAL AND UNTOUCHED"?

The pedals.  They show normal wear for a car with 101,568, and a driver who rides the brake with his left foot.

-d

Jerry

Interesting observation Denise about the pedals.  

What I was noticing about this car is that the majority of bidding is from the NY & NJ area - which is coincidentally the same area that the car is being offered for sale.  

I wonder if all of the bids are "real" or are some acquaintainces showing interest in the car on behalf of the seller in order to increase the selling price?

Rhino 21150

What ever happened to "Truth in Advertising"?
It went the way of truth in government. Or, truth in society at large. Im not a pessimist, Im an optimist with an education.