News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Adjustment Screw on Window Motors

Started by Highwayman68, April 04, 2020, 07:25:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highwayman68

Hi all, I have searched through the shop manual and the body manual and I couldn't find any reference to the adjuster screw on the window motors. Is this something that should be adjusted and if so what does it adjust?
1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981

Cadillac Fleetwood

I have only encountered the so-called adjustment screw on the vent window motors. If memory serves, the "adjustment" consists of a threaded stud (with a flat-blade screw slot in the end) and a hex lock bolt.  Decades ago, when taking these apart, I wondered as well, and when disassembling to replace the gear, experimented with it.  My experience was that it prevented the driven gear (the one that gets stripped and always needs replacing) from going up and down as the long worm gear is driving it.  Tightening it too much would restrict the gear travel and/or make excessive noise.  I would test them on the bench after replacing the driven gear (liberally greased, of course) and check for "bobbing" up and down and also listen for noise.  I have a pair of the front ones for a '68 on the shelf in the garage.  I'll take another look and report any new revelations.

Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

Highwayman68

Thanks Charles, these are the vent windows I am working on. I am dissembling them one at a time, cleaning out the old grease, clean the housing, re-grease and reassemble them. You are correct the adjusting screw does seem to turn up or down with the drive gear from the motor.

Your explanation of the gap does make sense and like you I am going to test one on the bench to see how changing the screw in each direction effects the motor.
1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981

In '62 there were two different door panels for cars with and without pwr vents. Is it the same in '68 or is the hole for the crank filled with a blank-out plate in cars with pwr vents (this is the solution found in other GM brands in '68)? They were standard in the Fleetwoods but an option on lesser models.
1962 Cadillac Series 62
1965 Pontiac Bonneville

Cadillac Fleetwood

Quote from: 6262 on April 06, 2020, 03:49:06 AM
In '62 there were two different door panels for cars with and without pwr vents. Is it the same in '68 or is the hole for the crank filled with a blank-out plate in cars with pwr vents (this is the solution found in other GM brands in '68)? They were standard in the Fleetwoods but an option on lesser models.

In a 1968 DeVille or Calais with power vent windows, there was a completely separate door panel assembly, without the hole.  They did not used a "holed" panel for all, and then just fill the hole with a blank-out plate when PVW was specified.

Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

1962 Cadillac Series 62
1965 Pontiac Bonneville