News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Recent posts

I remember the switch on my '59. It would get hot as hell with the halogen bulbs but remain just warm to the touch with the incandescent lights. That thought always carried over to other cars that I would change the bulbs out in. I have no solid numbers as far as amperage draw. But I can really feel the difference in the switch temperatures.

Could it be weak connections? Maybe, not all that sure. I clean them up with contact cleaner and then put them together with dielectric grease. That really helps keep them clean. It sure made a difference in the windshield wipers in my recent '69. They would never park. One of the member did a write up in the S/S about it, I tried it and they worked just like new.

The older sealed beams did have that glass 'tit' that really helped the monitors. The newer ones are mostly just flat. That's why I use the vacuum line. It channels the light to the fiber optic cord. It's not nearly as bright as the older bulbs, but it still works. At night you can see them okay, but during the daytime, it's pretty much useless.
Quote from: Jay Friedman on Yesterday at 11:37:10 PMAfter I installed the new pair a local wheel alignment shop could not get the camber to adjust to the correct specifications. 

Jay,

Thank you for that reply. In my case I will have to get a mechanic to replace my shocks. I plan on getting the correct (1946) rebuilt shocks from Apple Hydraulics and send in mine (1947) as a core swap if they'll accept them.

Apple rebuilt my rear shocks and I installed those myself. I don't want to take a chance with the large springs in the front.
General Discussion / Re: What's the newest Cadillac...
Last post by TJ Hopland - Today at 01:30:36 PM
Ya I was very curious.  Too bad we don't have historical data like this to look at.  I'm guessing there are going to be very few after 96 when most would say without question the last land yacht was produced and that is getting close to 30 years ago now. Lots of formerly loyal Cadillac buyers that have not even considered buying a new one in 30 years. 

44 views and 14 votes, looks like another stat that will be coming out of this survey.  You don't have to reply, you can just click to vote.
General Discussion / Re: Goodbye & thanks.
Last post by MultipleCaddies - Today at 01:22:20 PM
Quote from: 79 Eldorado on Today at 01:18:02 PMJ Doyle,
I said I have no problem paying the membership. My real concern is that the forum will decline unless there's another solution. I won't pay for something until I have a measure of the value. If you restrict potential members before giving them a free sample the forum and the CLC is the loser in the end.

I did search to see if the member list had my CLC number. It does not but here's what I noticed. I searched on part of my name and I got a page of "hits". Take a look at the list. There are 2 CLC members with a total of 6 posts.

Scott

I'm in 100% agreement with you. I assumed you had read my posts above on the subject. I was making a joke about the commenter above who sounds more like someone trying to guilt-shame people into giving money for starving kids in Africa than someone trying to get people to join the club.
General Discussion / USA headlights vs other region...
Last post by TJ Hopland - Today at 01:19:26 PM
Can any of the non USA people that have converted to their regions spec lights or maybe USA people that have imported cars with other spec lights comment on what the real world to the average person differences are in how they operate?   

I know in some cases there are inspections that may have nothing to do with actual performance but I am wondering if inspections were not an issue would the average person really see a difference in a bad way?  If you have the 'wrong' style would you have to adjust them in such a way so you didn't blind people that they would not be any good to the driver?

I'm just asking these questions because we have had a few headlight threads going and from what I can tell the quality of what we can get in the USA for many of the applications of sealed beams is crap but people in other regions apparently have conversions available that use a seperate bulb in a housing like what we call composite headlights here.  I just wonder if importing some of these conversions could work for us in the USA?  And which spec/region would be the best or worst fit for us?
Last post by 79 Eldorado - Today at 01:18:02 PM
J Doyle,
I said I have no problem paying the membership. My real concern is that the forum will decline unless there's another solution. I won't pay for something until I have a measure of the value. If you restrict potential members before giving them a free sample the forum and the CLC is the loser in the end.

I did search to see if the member list had my CLC number. It does not but here's what I noticed. I searched on part of my name and I got a page of "hits". Take a look at the list. There are 2 CLC members with a total of 6 posts.

Scott
Last post by MultipleCaddies - Today at 01:08:25 PM
Quote from: 79 Eldorado on Today at 01:03:37 PMJust a couple of comments:
I thought that forum members who joined before "May" were grandfathered... not certain where I read that but I thought it was May of a prior year which would prevent new spammers from causing an issue.

After seeing Paul's topic I noticed "Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the..." But I don't see a "relevant field" in the forum profile. I also went to the general discussion topic and I don't see it there.

I joined the CLC when there was a reduced cost option around the pandemic but other than posting here and contributing to the Self-Starter I don't use the CLC (but I do appreciate it of course). Anyway I have no idea what my CLC number is. After replying I will check to see if it's listed near my name in the membership search.

As someone else mentioned I too found the CLC Forum through a Google search. I contributed and read for years before joining. As that other member mentioned, had it cost something to join the forum, I would have looked elsewhere. I would have never found the forum and I would have never joined the CLC. I think the point of the forum dwindling is very likely going down the path of paid forum membership.

CT (ChevyTalk) is free but you cannot post photos without a basic paid membership. CadillacForums is very good, no membership fees, easier to post photos and is generally overall easier to use.

To me the CLC Forum needs to find another solution. I don't mind paying the membership fee but I will mind paying for something which is a gutted shell of what it was... That's what I see happening. There are already very few topics which fall in the age range I work on most and going in this direction will accelerate the decline.

Scott

Another man who values his nightly McDonald's cheeseburger more than the $0.068 cents a day it takes to feed this starving child in Ethi... whoops, sorry, wrong forum!
Quote from: Big Fins on Today at 11:59:27 AMFor maintaining usage of the fiber optic monitors, if the little rubber sections are missing in the headlight plugs, cut a 3/8" section of 5/16" vacuum line and as you are plugging the pigtail into the rear of the bulb, slip the section of vacuum line right into the center of the plug and press it home. While you have the plugs off of the bulbs, take a toothbrush and clean up the ends of the fiber optics. It makes the hood and rear deck monitors so much brighter.

This only works if you have a fairly old production bulb that still has that nipple on the back, or have you found a reliable source for bulbs that still have the glass nipple?  Last time I was working on a possibly 80 Cadillac I tried some different brands and kept getting identical bulbs in different boxes that had an white opaque plastic plug instead of the clear glass nipple and they just didn't let much light out.  For sure you had to get it as clean as possible to have a chance. 

I will have to look but I think the last square bulbs I bought that plastic plug was black so no light at all gets out, glad those were not for a Cadillac that had monitors.

It may be getting to the point where someone will have to come up with a likely LED light that will shine in the optic so at least it will work.  Won't tell you that your real bulbs are working but at least you will still have an idea what you have or have not selected to be on or off.
Quote from: dn010 on Today at 12:59:02 PMThe forum, or source of information, is not going anywhere. You're not losing access. Your ability to post questions here is what will change. Many questions have already been answered, you just have to use a google search to search the forum a specific way to find your answers. No one knows what the outcome will be yet but I am sure there will be some that are currently disgruntled, who will eventually pay and realize it is worth it. Those who choose not to pay can use other resources like facebook or justanswers maybe.

Or, maybe they can all band together to create their own forum with free membership.

As I said in another post, "my way or the highway, don't let the door hit ya on the way out whiners" is a hell of a take when this car club and clubs in general are in decline. If you think that attitude will somehow get more people to join, I honestly don't know what to tell you.
Last post by 79 Eldorado - Today at 01:03:37 PM
Just a couple of comments:
I thought that forum members who joined before "May" were grandfathered... not certain where I read that but I thought it was May of a prior year which would prevent new spammers from causing an issue.

After seeing Paul's topic I noticed "Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the..." But I don't see a "relevant field" in the forum profile. I also went to the general discussion topic and I don't see it there.

I joined the CLC when there was a reduced cost option around the pandemic but other than posting here and contributing to the Self-Starter I don't use the CLC (but I do appreciate it of course). Anyway I have no idea what my CLC number is. After replying I will check to see if it's listed near my name in the membership search.

As someone else mentioned I too found the CLC Forum through a Google search. I contributed and read for years before joining. As that other member mentioned, had it cost something to join the forum, I would have looked elsewhere. I would have never found the forum and I would have never joined the CLC. I think the point of the forum dwindling is very likely going down the path of paid forum membership.

CT (ChevyTalk) is free but you cannot post photos without a basic paid membership. CadillacForums is very good, no membership fees, easier to post photos and is generally overall easier to use.

To me the CLC Forum needs to find another solution. I don't mind paying the membership fee but I will mind paying for something which is a gutted shell of what it was... That's what I see happening. There are already very few topics which fall in the age range I work on most and going in this direction will accelerate the decline.

Scott