News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Kustom 1939 LaSalle Coupe in progress build.

Started by Artistic Precision, February 22, 2022, 01:17:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artistic Precision

Hey guys! I've been hard at work on my 39 coupe project this past year! Made a ton of progress really fast. Lost of hard work and countless hours of labor. Still have a ton of welding and fabrication work to do, to finish the roof chop and side window treatment, as well as patch all the rust cancer below the trunk and the bottoms of my qtr panels and doors all need patch work. But I got the majority of the kustom modifications tackled. I chopped the front of the frame and welded on a new front frame stub from fatman fabrications. Full boxed front frame rails with mustang II crossmember, with tubular control arms, power steering, and disc brakes and air ride. It steers and handles like a dream now. It was all over the place and not safe to drive with the stock suspension up front. I also step notched the rear of the stock frame to give axle clearance, with a gambino kustoms 4 link kit in the rear.

I chopped the roof an even 4 inches front and rear, removing the b-pillar door post to make it a no post "hard top". Will end up with metranga or hirohata style side windows. I also filled in the opening on the hood side panels where the big rectangle vent use to be, and welded in rings to mount 34-35 "bubble" hood side vents. The rectangle vent just looked out of place to me with how round and bubbly the rest of the car is. The big rectangle just didn't fit the car to me. Also I went to town with the bead roller and made custom trunk floor pan with "embossed" LaSalle crest and script, as well as a design on the rear trunk wall with a hubcap medallion in the center that lights up.

I know some guys wont like how I used some of these parts, or the style of my car, being cut and kustom, but this is my dream, and what I do for a living. Just trying to improve on the styling a bit, and make it more sleek and classy with a litte more attitude. I also had my steering wheel re chromed and the grip re cast in clear. And added cadillac clock. I was able to find a few more horn buttons and use them in the center of my hubcaps to match the steering wheel.

Right now, its all raw steel, no clear coat. I keep it garaged. With satin black fenders and lights, but they will get fresh coats of satin black soon once Im done messing with the engine. It came with a 69 ponriac 350 motor and trans when I bought it. I just dressed it up a bit with paint and new parts. The rear end is a posi gto rear end. I want to run 61 cad hubcaps but haven't been able to track down the steel wheels that those caps fit on.

Eventually I want to paint the car, a light silver with a subtle blue tint to it. A soft elegant pearl color, like was used on some old porsches and corvette stingrays I believe. Kind of like a fine silver with sky reflection if that makes sense.

Also plan to customize the dash with 34 guages, in the center of the dash, similar to how the lincoln zephyr's dashes were styled. My stock guages are trash and I think round guages will look much better.

Have a few other interior ideas but will have to wait till I get that far.

Hop you guys appreciate my vision and styling, and thank you to all those of you who helped me make this dream come true. 🙏🙏🙏

Artistic Precision

Artistic Precision

Artistic Precision

Artistic Precision

Artistic Precision

wrench

Well, I like it. A lot of nice fab and details to execute the vision.

A nice presentation of Art Deco styling cues.

The round ports are evocative of the exhaust of inline aircraft engines of the time, the P-40 and P-51 for example. That is a timeless style that looks great on the car.

I will defend the designers of the flat trim as they were 'streamlining' on the drawing board at that point.
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

chrisntam

Looks great!  I like the '34 hood side scallops.  Always a big fan of those.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Artistic Precision

Quote from: wrench on February 22, 2022, 09:29:04 AM
Well, I like it. A lot of nice fab and details to execute the vision.

A nice presentation of Art Deco styling cues.

The round ports are evocative of the exhaust of inline aircraft engines of the time, the P-40 and P-51 for example. That is a timeless style that looks great on the car.

I will defend the designers of the flat trim as they were 'streamlining' on the drawing board at that point.

Thanks 🙏

Artistic Precision

Quote from: chrisntam on February 22, 2022, 09:37:50 AM

Thanks 🙏

harry s

Echoing Wrench & Chrisntam I like it too.   Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

fishnjim

Glad to see the hot rod culture is still alive.   Gene Winfield would be proud.   Needs some "french" touches out of lead.
When you get done, you can come over and finish my P fastback.   I'm short on ambition at my age and getting shorter all the time.  Did I hear a "no thanks"?   Shucks...

Poncholover

Flattie Caddy

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Quote from: chrisntam on February 22, 2022, 09:37:50 AM

Very cool Angelo !!

I wondered if you were going to use my extra 1934 LaSalle hood ports....and there they are.....

Car looks great !!

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

carlhungness

Absolutely phenomenal craftsmanship throughout, and it takes a journeyman craftsman to accomplish what you've done. Wish I could have watched the bead roller work in the trunk, it's amazing you were able to get the shapes you did.
  Overall I don't think it could be better, but to my eye, the current ultra-low-rider look is about an inch and a half too low overall. I can't get used to seeing so much of the rear tires covered up, but that's not constructive criticism, just opinion.
  So well done everywhere, you can sure be proud of yourself. Where is your shop located? I'd like to take some bead rolling instruction. I'm getting ready to sign up for a Wray Schelein (Pro Shaper) workshop, probably the 120 hour course, so I sure know what you've gone through to achieve your great results.

Artistic Precision

Quote from: fishnjim on February 22, 2022, 12:27:46 PM
Glad to see the hot rod culture is still alive.   Gene Winfield would be proud.   Needs some "french" touches out of lead.
When you get done, you can come over and finish my P fastback.   I'm short on ambition at my age and getting shorter all the time.  Did I hear a "no thanks"?   Shucks...

🙏 Doing what I can to keep it alive. I know Gene. Took his class a couple years ago, was a good time.

Artistic Precision

Quote from: Mike Baillargeon  #15848 on February 22, 2022, 12:38:28 PM
Very cool Angelo !!

I wondered if you were going to use my extra 1934 LaSalle hood ports....and there they are.....

Car looks great !!

Mike

Thank You 🙏

Artistic Precision

Quote from: carlhungness on February 22, 2022, 01:42:40 PM
   Absolutely phenomenal craftsmanship throughout, and it takes a journeyman craftsman to accomplish what you've done. Wish I could have watched the bead roller work in the trunk, it's amazing you were able to get the shapes you did.
  Overall I don't think it could be better, but to my eye, the current ultra-low-rider look is about an inch and a half too low overall. I can't get used to seeing so much of the rear tires covered up, but that's not constructive criticism, just opinion.
  So well done everywhere, you can sure be proud of yourself. Where is your shop located? I'd like to take some bead rolling instruction. I'm getting ready to sign up for a Wray Schelein (Pro Shaper) workshop, probably the 120 hour course, so I sure know what you've gone through to achieve your great results.

Thank You. 🙏 I've been doing this the majority of my adult life. Im 39 this year. I have bead rolled a lot of stuff before, but this is the first time I did art like that. And managed to get it on my first shot. I watched videos from Jamey Jordan. Hes one of the best with the beadroller. He has videos and teaches classes. I work for a private collector in Southern California just building his cars for his collection. We have a full shop with fab equipment and paint booth. I work on my stuff after hours and weekends.