News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Sad - 1967 Sedan Deville at junkyard

Started by Mike Shawgo, July 27, 2022, 02:14:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I called Glenn Brown and he is looking into it. (He is an attorney.)
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Barry,
 What's he looking into??? As Bill pointed out & I've been trying to convey... someone go down & buy the car. It's that simple!!!  Time IS of the essence!!!
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

skinny_tom

Buy that car and bring it to California. Fill out a statement of facts and pay the fee. They'll mail you a title in about 4 weeks.
- Tom -
1965 Eldorado

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Tom,
 You're close. You need a verification , brake & light & smog if required. Been there  lots of times. LOL!!
 Bob

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Bob, I called him because he has a good relationship with many of the dealers in the area, and quite candidly, I don't believe you can do much over a weekend. I doubt that the "boss" is going to be there on a Sunday, even if the place is open.

And, if he starts getting calls from all over the country about the car, he's going to start seeing $$$ signs himself. Or, get annoyed and trash the car.

(Just for the record, I think the car is lovely, would love to have it myself, and agree most whole heartedly that the car should be rescued -by someone- if at all possible.)
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

What kind of dealers?? And how are they gonna help?? Those kind of yards  work 7 days a week.
Are the members in the Chicagoland area aware of the car??
I'd like to talk to the manager. Can anyone supply his name and  phone #?? 
Thanks, Bob

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Bob, I called Glenn as he knows many of the local (junk yard) dealers. As I said above, you go calling the owner/manager from LA he is either going to up the price to a level that the car won't be worth it, or he will be PO'd that the car is now a "problem child" to him and his staff, and he'll either part it out, or damage the car out of spite. Unless you're going to buy the car for yourself, I'd suggest you relax and let the members in Chicagoland do their best to rescue the car. Getting a phone call from 2,000 miles away about a junk car that he could care less about is not going to make the owner/manager's morning any brighter.

Glenn and his friends managed some time ago to save a '76 Talisman from a similar fate, but it took a while and the task was difficult. I imagine by now the local CLC members are aware of the car, where it is, and will do their best to save it.

(Just got off the phone with Glenn. He has a friend on it, the yard is a corporate owned one, extremely difficult to deal with in cases like this, and Glenn is going to let me know what transpires.)
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

GBrown #8092

Okay, "based on information and belief, the car is spoken for", and it will be saved (not by me).

Can't say any more at this time.

Glenn

jwwseville60

I bought a salvage caddy with no title.
At the DMV, I did a lost title application and said the paperwork and title were lost. Which was true.
It worked!
1960 Eldorado Seville, Copper, "IKE"
1961 CDV, gold, "Goldfinger"
1964 Eldorado, Turquoise, "Billy the Squid"
1963 De Ville Station Wagon Vista roof, silver blue, "Race Bannon"
1963 Fleetwood 60S, turquoise, "The Miami Special"
1959 Sedan Deville flat top, tan, "Jupiter-2"
1947 Caddy Sedanette 62, black, "Johnny Cash"
1970 ASC Fleetwood wagon, dark blue, "Iron Maiden"
Lifetime CLC

Willbarq

I really think examples like this beg this question. "How good are our laws concerning examples like this?" Not very apparently  Maybe the way forward for someone looking to buy this is to actually get the advice from the title office. I think titles get signed off and the owner dies without designating a "new owner".

Barry M Wheeler #2189

The main problem is that nearly all concerned think that we're crazy!

Item: The junk dealers could care less unless they are car collectors too, and then, they sit on the car for twenty years thinking that "one day, a sucker is going to show up and I'll get $15,000 for the car. (He decided on that price the day it came in, and won't budge from it over the years (while the car deteriorates each year.))

Item: The BMV could care less as making more paper work for them is not something they would like to do.

Item: Car dealers only want to sell new cars, and they could care less about a sale yesterday, much less twenty years ago. If they get an older car in, they either price it to the moon, (see Item 1) or someone in the shop gets it for a song. (This happened on my first trade in, a '78 Eldo, and one of the mechanics bought it for a low three figure price.)

Item: Getting 50 state BMVs to agree on something like this would be nearly impossible.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Mike Shawgo

Hi everyone, I was just out at the LKQ Pick Your Park yard this afternoon, and the Sedan DeVille is still there, behind the fenced in area. I tried to talk to a manager, but no one was there except the kids who check people in and out (I was also upset about that because I wanted to get a Bose radio out of a 2001 Seville, but you have to remove the shifter bezel, and to do that the shifter needs to be in neutral, and you need a key to turn the ignition to unlock the shifter. The kids said they didn't think there were keys to any of the cars. I find that hard to believe).

Mike

Mike Shawgo

Hi everyone.  I was down at the LKQ PickYourPart in Blue Island again yesterday.  The 67 Deville is still there.  There was a manager there that I asked to speak to.  He told me that the car was going to be put "in the yard" for parts.  I asked about buying it, and he said "No, we don't sell cars."  My response:  "That's absolutely criminal!"

Mike

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Hi Mike,
 Thanks for the report even if it's bad news. I KNEW that was gonna happen!!! I guess Mr. Browns "help" didn't work. Of all the car collector guys in the greater Chicago area, not ONE of them could save it. REAL SAD!!! 
Bob 

Art Director

Just tell him you need all the parts from that car. He can't argue with that.
Tim Coy
CLC Southwestern Regions Vice President
Interim Western Regions Vice President
Art Director, The Self-Starter, International Membership Directory
Life member, Rocky Mountain Region
CLCMRC Benefactor #102

1963 Six-Window Sedan de Ville
1972 Fleetwood Brougham - RIP
1988 Sedan de Ville - RIP
2001 Eldorado ESC - RIP
2003 DeVille DTS - sold

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Tim,
 That's really not a good comment.....
 Bob

Poncholover

Flattie Caddy

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Mike,
 You seem pretty adamant that it can't be done. Can you share your experience of why you feel that way. What yard was it? What state? How long ago?
 Thanks, Bob

Mike Shawgo

Bob,

I'm not quite sure I understand your question. If you have read the history of this post, you would see that it is in the LKQ Pick Your Park in Blue Island, IL, a suburb of Chicago. And this is current (September 2022), not something from the past. I inquired about purchasing the car (although I wouldn't have the funds to do so), and was told that they would not sell it and that it would be placed in the parts yard. I posted my experience in the hopes that someone in the club might have some other ideas.

Mike

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Hi Mike Shawgo,
 Too many Mikes. LOL! I was directing my comment to Mike Snodgrass. I'd still like to see his response.
Thanks, Bob