News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Coker Classic WWW tire experience

Started by Raycad, September 22, 2022, 06:38:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raycad

I have been using Coker 235-75R15 tires for 22 years and had very good support in the past when I needed replacements . Recently I have e-mailed them several times telling them I need an out of round one replaced. I get no responce and I phoned the support line and was put on hold and after a long wait the line went dead. I tried a second time and was put on hold again which infuriated me. Does anyone know what is going on at Coker?

35-709

Coker has changed hands at least a couple of more times since Corky Coker sold the company.  You are experiencing the way things are done these days at many businesses that have grown too big for their britches --- Rockauto being another.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Carfreak

Quote from: 35-709 on September 22, 2022, 07:29:05 PMYou are experiencing the way things are done these days at many businesses that have grown too big for their britches --- Rockauto being another.

And Hagerty. 
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

Lexi

I am also inclined to believe that the quality of their product has declined since these business changes in recent years. I as well got an out of round tire that could not be balanced. The set also prematurely turned yellow and showed age cracks well before my older Cokers did. Sad to say. Clay/Lexi

scotth3886

Quote from: Carfreak on September 22, 2022, 10:39:54 PMAnd Hagerty. 

I think Hagerty is consulting the actuarial tables and coming to the conclusion that their long term insured base is becoming a little long in tooth and not going to be around that much longer.  They're repositioning themselves with their chasing modern Mustang, Mopar and exotic punks, and they drive like punks with their takeovers and sideshows.

Take a look at Hagerty Drivers' Club.  Outside of some local Cars and Coffees, those events sure aren't for most of us ...... track days, etc.  And they're hiring kids just two or three years out of school for these public outreach events. Times are changing and they're worried about survival.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a Hagerty tent at a takeover/sideshow at an intersection near us.

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: scotth3886 on September 23, 2022, 10:41:38 AMI think Hagerty is consulting the actuarial tables and coming to the conclusion that their long term insured base is becoming a little long in tooth and not going to be around that much longer.  They're repositioning themselves with their chasing modern Mustang, Mopar and exotic punks, and they drive like punks with their takeovers and sideshows.

Take a look at Hagerty Drivers' Club.  Outside of some local Cars and Coffees, those events sure aren't for most of us ...... track days, etc.  And they're hiring kids just two or three years out of school for these public outreach events. Times are changing and they're worried about survival.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a Hagerty tent at a takeover/sideshow at an intersection near us.

Hagerty is a terrific company, they see the writing on the wall. The young people are the future of the company, the ones who drive their cars and don't keep their cars in a velvet humidity controlled coffin. I think their service is still terrific too. The Ark's windshield got a huge stone crack this summer, I called them, I had a direct deposit in my bank account in 4 hours. "If it costs more than that Ms Kraynick please save your receipts and submit them for reimbursement." What more do you want?

Back on topic: Coker Tires.
This why everyone is using Diamond Backs now.
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

dochawk

I've dealt with Hagerty twice in the last couple of months, and have been impressed.

My wife got hit in the Fleetwood by a couple of crying little old ladies (now, *really*, anyone who couldn't see a white Fleetwood at a stopsign in a Black parking lot should no longer be de=riving!)

She thought she'd been rear-ended, saw no damage, and didn't get their info!  It turned out that they'd hit the rear chrome rocker panel.

I called Hagerty hoping the concierge service could help me find a replacement panel and clips at a reasonable price, and they told me they'd cover it!

And then when I had to get towed, and a mechanic I'd formerly trusted wanted over $500 just to replace a starting motor :o , I called to see if they could get me a break on the towing rates (insurance and body shop get about $50 calls here, but maybe triple that on a private call), and they cheerfully towed it to my house.  (where I found that even without prime, I could get a cheap starter delivered by 8am the next morning for about $75, less than his markup over retail on parts.  And no core, so I can rebuild the old one myself instead of relying on an aftermarket part (I'm told that the brushes I need are two or three bucks!)

So I am *quite* happy with Hagerty!  Their service has been wonderful!

I do, though, wonder what the "daily driver" option on their website options means.  I know it doesn't mean, well, a daily driver, but . . .
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

Lexi

A couple of buddies have made claims through Hagerty for damage (and theft) of their classic Cadillacs. Their reported experiences with Hagerty and how they handled their claim was quite positive. Actually, almost too good to be true. Clay/Lexi

scotth3886

I had my first trip aboard a rollback three years ago for my brand "P" GM car while on the way to Dream Cruise.  A split tire valve of all things.  AAA said it was going to be hours so I called Hagerty and they had someone there within 45 minutes.  So a short trip to a Bridgestone Firestone in Marion and in about 30 minutes, we were once again on our way to Detroit.

The only claim I had was hitting a deer back in 2013.  Damage was minimal, but the 3rd party adjuster wanted to use a locally sourced used fender.  Locally sourced means rust here in Ohio.  No way was there enough damage to require that the fender be replaced. Had to get Hagerty involved to overrule the adjuster. 

Regarding tires, my 66 Fleetwood had Coker WWW when I bought it.  Two of them just wouldn't balance.  For the time being went with Hankook 235/75x15 WWs and they have been fine.  A little on the harsh side I guess, but otherwise fine. So next year time for the correct triple whites from Diamondback.  All of the tires on my other cars have come from Diamondback. 

Abe Lugo

If your question is for a recent purchase you should keep trying.  If it's for some older tires.  I would imagine they might be out of the system. 

Not sure how this turned into a Hagerty thread.  But maybe ask if they will insure your tires?

I guess the point is, is there an extended warranty to be had on tires? Some tire shops have the road hazard. 

If you buy your Coker's on Amazon you might be able to get the 4 year protection? Maybe?

But those old 30k, 40k miles tires are kind a thing of the past.  Also they carry time limits. 

Abe Lugo  CLC#31763  Sunny Los Angeles,CA @abelugo IG

dochawk

Quote from: Abe Lugo on September 24, 2022, 01:52:17 PMNot sure how this turned into a Hagerty thread. 

Hagerty got cited as an example of a good company gone sour.
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

signart

Just have them trued. I bought four Diamond backs for my '53. was not satisfied that the ride was as good as it could be. had them trued and balanced on the car. They will age out before they wear out.
Art D. Woody