News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Trace my 58 Coupe

Started by Andy Green, May 23, 2020, 12:20:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

35-709

I believe you will find that the link "Chrisntam" posted does not apply to vehicles.  They have a similar but different policy for vehicles --- they offer little or no protection for vehicles past a certain age and under certain conditions.  The link below only covers part of what their policy is.
https://pages.motors.ebay.com/buy/security/index.html    Then click on *Restrictions apply. See terms and conditions.

It is important that you contact eBay and it should have done it early on!! Give them the particulars of your failed transaction.  I am afraid, however, that since this transaction took place 4 years ago that they will offer little help.  They may be able to give you some particulars on the seller or contact him for you.  Wouldn't surprise me though if he was no longer an eBay seller, or if he is that he is operating under a different name and they can't trace it back.  There are plenty of scammers working eBay all the time.   

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Andy Green

Thanks guys, that may make a big difference then, the title I had emailed is a little difficult to read on that 3rd digit, every other digit is clear. Well spotted, I will do a check on the revised Title and see what comes back and I will let you know.

Andy

Andy Green

Roger & Eric,

Just done a search and got the same result on the Vin Check, it is not been identified as being stolen or listed on the Salvage check. Back to square one.
Andy

G. Newcombe

Thank you for your info and link for ebay, I will check this out and let you know the outcome.
Andy

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Not familiar with "VIN Check" but the vehicle history services that I'm aware of can only recognize VINs that are the 17 digit length that became industry standard in 1981.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Eric,
That is correct.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

gkhashem

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on May 31, 2020, 11:31:10 AM
Not familiar with "VIN Check" but the vehicle history services that I'm aware of can only recognize VINs that are the 17 digit length that became industry standard in 1981.

Both of my 1959s appear on VIN audit, so it will appear. But keep in mind many states do not required a title on older cars. So there has to be title somewhere for it to appear if no title it will not turn up. So not an all inclusive check.

I suggested VIN audit just by chance if someone else actually owned the car and had a title. The state of NH now uses this since I can get an antique title for a car without one. But if they find it on VIN audit when I apply for an antique title, they will stop me from registering the car again unless I clear it up.

Did you pay the fee and use https://www.vinaudit.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjqbXi-ve6QIVSr3ACh2-2gN6EAAYASAAEgKarfD_BwE

But whenever I get a car without a title I check VIN audit. If it does not show up I can get an antique title for it to ease selling it later.
1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

Roger Zimmermann

By curiosity, I let run the VIN from my '72 de Ville for which I have a title. I got no result.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Andy Green

George,

Thanks for your info, I have clicked on the link you sent me, there is nowhere I can find where it says to pay a fee. The Vin check is free, I have run it again without success as it is not recognised. The example they show has a 17 digit vin which it seems from a guy on this forum that 17 digit vin numbers came it 1981. My 58 coupe only has 9 digits so I assume that is why it isn't recognised.
I have sent them a message giving details, car model and reason why I want the vin checked and asked if they can help or tell me where I can find out so we will see if they come back.
The one I checked a few days ago was NICB National Insurance Crime Bureau) their HQ is at 1111 E. Touchy Ave. Ste 400 Des Plaines, IL60018

Andy
Just to follow up George, I have just heard back from the Vin Audit company and they tell me this:

We do support non 17 digit VINs but records may be limited. We can only provide a report for these VINs if the car has been retitled from the time NMVTIS was established-- early 1990s.
The report should include 1990s to current title records, odometer reading, junk and salvage reported records and checks problems related to title brands. Upon further checking, it appears that we do not have the vehicle records of this vehicle.

Just keeping you up to date.

Andy

gkhashem

Quote from: Andy Green on June 01, 2020, 04:16:55 AM

Andy
Just to follow up George, I have just heard back from the Vin Audit company and they tell me this:

We do support non 17 digit VINs but records may be limited. We can only provide a report for these VINs if the car has been retitled from the time NMVTIS was established-- early 1990s.
The report should include 1990s to current title records, odometer reading, junk and salvage reported records and checks problems related to title brands. Upon further checking, it appears that we do not have the vehicle records of this vehicle.

Just keeping you up to date.

Andy

That's correct so if someone re-titled it recently it could appear. My 1959 Olds shows a 1969 title. My 1964 Olds showed the original 1964 title, but those were both from PA. The 1959 Cadillac had a more current title from a NY registration in 2014.

So it is hit or miss on older cars. But my thought was it might show for you. Just maybe then you have a lead. But it looks like a dead end there.

I check this first on a old car I may buy if the seller states he does not have a title. If no trace on VIN audit I can get a new NH antique title which helps with selling it in states where a title is needed.
1970 GMC C1500
1996 Oldsmobile 98

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville

chrisntam

How about calling the POLICE and letting them know that you were a victim of FRAUD or THEFT?

Why are you fooling around with this VIN search?

I guess I don't understand your logic, other than it's been 4 years so there's no hurry...

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Andy Green

Chris,

The Police is the next step, the vin check would have given me some sort of proof whether the car existed or it had been scrapped. I could then tell the police that I was told the car had been burned up when it maybe still being used by someone else. (I also wanted to know for my own personal information too) So trying to get the most information to support my case, can you see the reason now Chris.
It is far easier for you to follow these things up as you live in the US but for me living a long way from the US and having different rules in the US than we have, it is not as easy as you think it is I'm afraid.
In the meantime I will gather as much information and documentation as I can in preparation to contacting the police. I hope that clarifies my reasoning, whether you may agree with me or not and as frustrating as it is I will get a result.
Thanks
Andy

gkhashem

Quote from: chrisntam on June 01, 2020, 11:09:51 PM
How about calling the POLICE and letting them know that you were a victim of FRAUD or THEFT?

Why are you fooling around with this VIN search?

I guess I don't understand your logic, other than it's been 4 years so there's no hurry...

You could fool with the VIN search to give the police a lead where to start maybe?  ::) 

1970 GMC C1500
1996 Oldsmobile 98

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville

chrisntam

You could fool with the VIN search to give the police a lead where to start maybe?  ::) 

You think the police just do an internet search when there is a crime reported?   ::)

I would suggest the police have access to tools the general public does not.  ::)

Who knows if the VIN is even real? 

Should they believe a crime occurred, I’m pretty sure they’ll interview the “seller “ which would likely be the key to this investigation.

I guess you’re right. When I buy a car, I pay and the seller neglects to release the car and title, I’ll wait 4 years, get on a car forum, ask for advice and then search for my car on the internet with VIN websites.   ::)

I’m out on this thread, mostly due to the inactivity / slow movement (I’m being kind with my choice of words) of the op. I wish I could say what I really think, which is probably what 99% of others here are thinking.

I’ll leave with one last comment. We’re either being trolled or the op received a $13,000.00 life lesson.

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

I dropped out of this forum for a few years because of the poison some people post on here. I thought maybe it had changed, but I see the nastiness is still here.

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Phil,

When you encounter unsavory content, the best thing is to hit the Report to Moderator button, and it can be attended to immediately, if not sooner.

We are trying our best to make this Message Board a friendly one.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

Thanks Bruce, I don't get why people are like that on this forum.

Andy Green

Chris

I have just found your very insulting post, this is totally uncalled for as I am the honest one and who knows you may be a friend of the person who has cheated me and are trying to protect the seller. Perhaps you haven't taken the medication for the day, who knows, but this malicious bad mouth accusations shows your true colours so perhaps you should give all of us a rest and bow out of this forum.

We are here to help each other in various ways either for a technical query or help that I have asked for on this topic. A while ago I answered all your questions with all the details you asked for so it is a puzzle to me why you are so angry and insulting, takes all sorts I guess, don't bother coming back as your words are worthless, thanks.

Andy

Roger Zimmermann

Andy, I understand that you are angry about the comments from Chris. He is in one point right: why did you wait 4 years to ask for help? I'm not 100% sure, but I don't believe he is a friend of the seller and want to protect him.
If we are forgetting the too long delay, if I were at your place I would have difficulties to find the telephone number from the competent police office in Vegas. 2 ways are coming in my mind: Google and the US embassy or consulate. Obviously, you have to act now and not tomorrow!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Andy Green

Roger

Thank you for your information, I hadn't thought of that route.
I do understand why guys are wondering why it has taken me 4 years to go this way, but it is me the guy has conned, he is an extremely convincing person that leads you very much into believing his stories. The promises that have been made to me and waiting for results are very frustrating and I admit to feeling a fool like anyone else would feel. It is difficult to understand about the length of time and yes I realise now that I shouldn't have trusted him like I did and should have taken action earlier but sadly I cannot turn the clock back Roger, I wish I could. I have now sent a complaint in to (IC3) so we will see what I get back from that. I will keep you guys posted if I get anywhere and I thank all of you that have tried to help me.

Andy

Andy Green

Just to give you all an update. I have reported this fraudulent transaction to IC3 for them to investigate so perhaps I will get a result.

After the unsavoury post I had on this forum I had an email from Nicki Bratz which is very coincidental, I suspect a certain person must have contacted him from this forum. In his mail he again promises to repay me and to be patient. Well, how patient do I have to be after all this time whilst he has a yard full of various cars, fifties Buicks, Pontiacs and a Nash Metropolitan. He is off to various states having meals in restaurants but he won't pay his debts. He is just full of bul**** sadly. He will pay me one way or another, I will make sure of that. Will keep you all posted, in the meantime do not deal with Rocket Carz as he will cheat you out of your money.

Andy