News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Mid sump engine in 68 deville?

Started by Lennon_68, November 23, 2022, 10:55:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lennon_68

Hi Guys!

This morning I came across a really good deal on an engine nearby me - a 75 500.  I'm all set on buying it (and essentially giving up on my 472 rebuild).  In chatting with the seller this morning I learned it has a mid sump oil pan on it.  Does anyone know offhand if this will drop into my 68?

If not I believe I can swap the pants out for one of the two I have here but I'm not sure what all is involved.

Engine will be coming with transmission attached which I think makes swapping the oil pan more difficult (maybe not if I can figure out what to stand it up on).

Thanks!!

bcroe

Perhaps the 500 is from an Eldo?  So often I see
these complete with trans and final driver, source
did not bother to separate. The manual will tell
you how to remove about 13 bolts, save that trans. 
I believe you can transfer all the oil and exhaust
parts from your 68 to the 75, might involve a
different dip stick hole.  good luck, Bruce Roe

Lennon_68

Not sure what it was in originally.  He swapped it to mid sump for his build.  He was going to put it in something and it didn't fit right so he's going to ls swap it instead. 

I found an old comment suggesting a mid sump might fit.

If it fits I'd use the transmission and just drop the whole works in the 68 and be on my meery eay

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

"mid-sump" pans were used on the 77-80 425/368 motors used in rear wheel drive cars. The pans are frequently used when the motor is transplanted into something else.  Eldorados (1968-78) use a rear sump pan which is different. When using a "mid-sump" pan on a 500 inch motor a bit of modification has to be done to the pan to clear the 500's "long legs", and a 75 Eldorado would have a front wheel drive transmission, all things to watch for.
As far as the pan itself, just pulling the pan, changing the oil pick up and replacing the pan with a front sump as used on 1968-1976 472/500's will do the trick.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

TJ Hopland

You should be fine swapping the pan and pickup that were on the 368 that was in the car when you got it. 

The 68-69 had a smaller diameter pickup tube so not sure how they dealt with that on the 368 unless that happened to have the 68-69 size tube so they got lucky?  Or maybe the 368 has its original mid sump and it just fits fine in the 68. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Again,
a 1975 500"motor with a mid sump pan would be quite unusual. I would be sure of exactly what it is before you buy it. I have seen a lot of 425's sold for 500's to unsuspecting souls. Again, if it is going into your 68 it will need a front sump pan with the correct pick up tube. Your '68 tube is smaller than one in a 5200 block(71-76) so you will need the correct tube as well. All easily obtainable.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

TJ Hopland

I don't remember what your 472 came out of or what year it was but that is another possible pan and pickup tube for you to swap onto this new motor if it turns out to be a good runner and doesn't have the right pan on it.

At this age ya never know what you are gonna get especially when buying a loose engine but as you well know even what you get in a car can still be a crap shoot.  For those that don't remember his 68 came to him with a really whipped 368 in it.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Ahaa, new info. That must have been a real performer.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

Lennon_68

Thanks guys!!  I'll be picking it up Saturday and will probably be back with questions haha