News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Carl 61 Fleetwood Phyllis

Started by Clewisiii, January 20, 2020, 09:10:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clewisiii

My water and fuel pump are back. I hope to drop off the engine for rebuild next week.

Before it can be put on the Dyno I need a few more things. The carb is being worked on. But I need the driver exhaust manifold. I have two that are cracked. And one on my parts car that will be slot of work before I can check to see if it is good.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

James Landi

Carl, did you ever get the engine unstuck?   James

Clewisiii

I completely tore it apart. I had to hammer out each piston. I am finally taking the block and two sets of heads to the machine shop Saturday to see what can be done.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

James Landi

Carl--- I owned a 61 Cadillac convertible, and as a young man, and I was not a mature driver. Purchased in '56 and lasted until '72.  That engine and transmission, as well as the suspension endured a lot of post adolescent punishment, so I attest to the '61's durability --- rust was a problem, especially in the head light "eye lids"  and I had several issues with chassis welds breaking-- but I was far from careful. I hope you have good news about the mechanicals---  how long did you say the car was left standing?   James

spolij

Carl if you can't find a manifold opening the crack depending on where it is and filling it with a modern day epoxy would work. There was a way to fix the crack. First you drill a hole at one end of the crack. Thread and install a bolt. Drill the next hole so it overlaps the first hole and bolt. Thread and install another bolt and so on until the crack is done. I don't remember what type of bolt was used, matching expantion and contraction. A manufacturer can probably tell you.
Good luck with your project. Would love to do that to mine but not enough room or money. And i'd hate to not be able to drive it for that length of time! lol

Clewisiii

I am still collecting the smalls for chrome reproduction parts. Again I want to collect everything before I go in for paint. I am a little worried as a few of these reproduction parts are getting harder to find. For the past year I have not seen the fender spear bezels. They use to be available.

Clewisiii

In the mail today was another manifold. The guy who sold me the last one that I found a hole in, sent me a replacement. It looks great. Notice my original with the bad cracks. This was an early build and cracked in this bend. Notice the other two. They added a fillet in the casting to strengthen this area.

Clewisiii

All, I have a question.  Now that I have my manifold, and my Carb is in process, the only thing I need before the dyno is the distributor.  I want to rebuild my distributor and add a pertronix ignition under the cap. 

But for the time being I will need to have something until I rebuild mine.  I have been thinking about purchasing this billet aluminum HEI distributor.  It is cheap enough for temporary use.  Any thoughts or problems with this approach.  I have delayed working on mine because I have to drill out the pin holding on the gear.

Clewisiii

Current distributor

Clewisiii

I have been looking for and did find a 1961 fabric book. But I am a little disappointed. I wanted a Detroit book. This is another brand. I already knew my fabric was number 187. But I wanted to know what the vinyl and leather colors were. The fabrics are separated per vehicle. But every vinyl is lumped together. No leather shown. I am still happy to have the book. But I a m still going to look for the other.

James Landi

Hi Carl,

You might consider asking the club members about the relative durability of the various soft goods by model years.  I owned 2 '6l's during the mid and late 1960's, and I was disappointed about the materials in that they did not wear well or clean up well.  Attempts at using liquid furniture cleaning detergents were not successful in my experience.  I think asking for folks to provide you with their experiences may cause you to look at "other years."  However, if you're looking toward authenticity, well then you go with what you can get, and hope that the new materials are produced with a longer life expectancy.  As always, I look forward to you narratives and pictures.    Happy day,  James

Dan LeBlanc

This would be the bible for you to have.  My wife got it for me for Christmas in 2013 (I'm keeping the book).  Keep an eye out, one comes out of the woodwork every few years or so.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Clewisiii

Ok quick question.  The machine shop will dyno my engine after the rebuild.  He asked me to bring in my starter and flywheel for that.  But the flywheel is part of the fluid coupling.  I think I will need to bring in the complete trans for the dyno. 

Does anyone have an opinion or knowledge on this.

Clewisiii

Dan,

What would be the proper name of that book.  The 61 Cadillac Data Book is different.

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: Clewisiii on February 13, 2020, 09:50:01 PM
Ok quick question.  The machine shop will dyno my engine after the rebuild.  He asked me to bring in my starter and flywheel for that.  But the flywheel is part of the fluid coupling.  I think I will need to bring in the complete trans for the dyno. 

Unless to fabricate a device replicating the flywheel housing, I don't see another solution.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

James Landi

Yes, that is correct, the spline at the end of the crankshaft fits into the flex plate that is bolted on to the flywheel.  By the way, carefully check the "ears" that form the mechanical connection points and have bolts that attach the flex plate.  My '61 convertible had several broken, and it caused a shake and rattle when under torque...  the splits on the ears are fairly easy to discern once you inspect carefully.  Certainly,  a dyno test can be done with the car assembled using the rear wheels, true?  If the rebuilder doesn't have the machine to do it, it may be wise to have the test done somewhere else upon completion with a representative of the rebuilder in attendance to ensure that all is well.    Hope this helps,   James

Dan LeBlanc

Quote from: Clewisiii on February 13, 2020, 09:53:28 PM
Dan,

What would be the proper name of that book.  The 61 Cadillac Data Book is different.

It is the 1961 Fleetwood upholstery selection guide.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Clewisiii

Well my engine is finally at the machine shop. It will probably be a couple of months till it is finished. My carb is still at the shop. I should call for an update.

I think I will also be able to get the trans done in the next 4 months. The rear end was done a while ago. So that will leave the drive shaft as the last piece I need for the drive train.

Clewisiii

I had been collecting these medallions to try to pick my best set. Well I just broke down and bought a reproduction set.

Clewisiii

I had given myself a $5,000 per year budget for working on my car. With the engine rebuild and chrome bumpers I have already doubled that for the year and it is only February.

But I am going to still work on smalls. I sent my inside rear view mirror to The Mirror Lady. At $300 it is not that bad.
I also bought reproduction side mirrors. And interior handles.

The other smalls I would like to work on when I get the chance.

Exterior Handles $300
Dash restoration. Just Dashes $1500
Radiator ?
Maybe trans and drive shaft this year. It would be nice to have the drive train done.