News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1949 Limousine Repairs Finally Underway!

Started by jaxops, December 20, 2020, 09:24:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaxops

We have now completed brake master cylinder replacement, and repaired all of the trunk holes.  Now the spare tire won't become a "fifth wheel."  The trunk lip for the weatherstripping had completely deteriorated...here it is with new metal! 
Next up: the windows will all be repaired to operate.
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

docscantlin

Looks great! Just like mine. It looks complete. However, I have taken apart 3 of these and am anxious to sell some of the extra spare parts... So, if you need anything let me know.
God Bless and happy New Year!
Doc Scantlin

jaxops

Thanks Doc- most of it is there.  I think the worst remaining is the stained rear seat (wool broadcloth).

We just got all 4 windows working.  New tracks and guides were a huge help.  Now he's working on the Divider window. 
Next up: repair the "holy" front floor pan with new metal.

Pictured below: My father (owner #3) at Ed's Rods and Recks Norfolk, VA viewing the working windows and NO LEAKS under the car (that is saying something!).
1979 Lincoln Continental

benx13

1951 Series 62 - Under restoration

jaxops

LF floor has been repaired, RF in progress. Working on a relay bank for the windows and getting the divider window working.  Trunk lip has been sealed and painted after being repaired and re-created.

1979 Lincoln Continental

Sloriter

Gents, Looks like your facing the same issues I've got with my '39 LS coupe. The big one presently is that I'm looking for a right rear shock.
Thanks/RHJ

richardjohnson1570@comcast.net

jaxops

I've got all new shocks, and leaf springs on this one.  We're working the body and accessories now.
1979 Lincoln Continental

jaxops

The trim, headlight bezels, and running boards are off for cleanup and rechroming.  The running boards are stainless, and as Ed from Ed's Rods and Recks says, "they're built like a bridge!"  Next up bumpers and grille, and then painting and chroming!
1979 Lincoln Continental

Jeff Hansen

Mark,

If you don't mind my asking, how are the running boards made?  Are they entirely stainless steel?  Or is there just a stainless steel skin over a non-stainless metal substructure?  I've always wondered about that.

Thanks!
Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

jaxops

Quote from: Jeff Hansen on February 20, 2021, 03:47:05 PM
Mark,

If you don't mind my asking, how are the running boards made?  Are they entirely stainless steel?  Or is there just a stainless steel skin over a non-stainless metal substructure?  I've always wondered about that.Thanks!Jeff
These are stainless all through because they didn't rust underneath either.  The black is a coating of undercoat.  The top looks thin but when you turn them over as in the rather dark last photo above, they are ribbed and strakes all through it to give it strength.  There are 3 metal posts that come out from the bottom that support the running boards.  I had never seen that until they were off today.
1979 Lincoln Continental

Jeff Hansen

Mark,

Thanks!  I appreciate the knowledge!

Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

jaxops

I've been sanding, sanding, sanding.  The interior wood trim parts (rear quarter windows, doors, and divider) have had epoxy or some filler put under the varnish.  When you sand them, it becomes soft and grabs the sandpaper, ripping it up.  I have gone through 3 packs of sandpaper and I am only halfway done.  I did get 1 of 2 exterior quarter window trim polished.   

Interestingly enough, each part has a Cadillac manufacturer's part number stamped on the back, so these were really made in the Cadillac factory.
1979 Lincoln Continental

jaxops

I sent the divider clock to D+M Restorations in Greenville, SC.  I used Fedex because USPS has been so unreliable.  It took 5 weeks to get there......they blamed the snow...which didn't affect the coast.  Must have been a big storm in Atlanta or something.  Also, D+M has had problems with their phone lines, but they are open for business.  I found a 3rd phone number on the Internet.  1 number was out of order, the other 800 number was taken over by a health-scammer company.
1979 Lincoln Continental

jaxops

Body work in progress: left quarter removed.  There were some small rust holes that went right through the door skin.  All fixed, and on to the right quarter panel.
1979 Lincoln Continental

z3skybolt

Mark,

Would you mind saying where you purchased your shocks and leaf springs?  I may want to replace them on my 1940 LaSalle.

Thanks
Bob R.
1940 LaSalle 5227 Coupe(purchased May 2016)
1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. Bought New.

jaxops

Quote from: z3skybolt on April 27, 2021, 08:13:08 PM
Mark,

Would you mind saying where you purchased your shocks and leaf springs?  I may want to replace them on my 1940 LaSalle.

Thanks
Bob R.
Sorry Bob- I tried to send a link but the computer overlords called it spam.  I bought the shocks through Kanter and the leaf springs were made by Stengel Brothers.
1979 Lincoln Continental

jaxops

Right quarter is off, holes on the RR and RF doors repaired.
1979 Lincoln Continental

jaxops

The hood and trunk lid are ready for painting.  Surprisingly the hood stays up now by itself!!!!!  The 2nd owner (before my father) removed the hood springs.  Dad used to prop the hood open with a mahogany flagstaff from a boat.  Friends of mine installed new springs....they were small Filipino fellows and had to stand on an engine block with the car hoisted in the air to attach the springs.  Unfortunately the hood wouldn't stay opened by itself.  Ed Murmillo was able to move the springs back a bit and voila! it stays up now.  Fender skirts all painted.  All that is left to prep are the front fenders.  My father (3rd owner) converses with expert restorer Ed Murmillo.
1979 Lincoln Continental

jaxops

Front Fenders prepped and ready.  The under-doors and undercarriage preps are next.
1979 Lincoln Continental

jaxops

We have paint starting!!  Quarter panels, fender skirts, deck lid, and bumper backing all painted. Next up, doors, fenders, and hood.  The car starts right up no matter how long it sits.  Amazing.
1979 Lincoln Continental