News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

‘58 365 vacuum pump

Started by Rdtreur, April 01, 2022, 08:15:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Braits

Hi Friends,
It Is done.. made the steel plate, close up te pump, e refixed the oil Pan, next step, close the pipe. Thanks to everybody
Braits

Braits

Hi,
I have a couple more questions. How do I know if the oil pump is working? and I didn't understand why I have to close the pipe that rises from the vacuum pump behind the block if the pump is sealed anyway... thanks
Braits

Braits

HI
it's done.
built the steel plate and put it between the oil pump and the vacuum pump, I still don't understand why I have to seal the pipe that rises up on the back of the block .. if the pump is closed .. today I would like to put the oil in, how do I know if is the oil pump working?
Thank you
Braits

Roger Zimmermann

Two medhods: either you let turn the engine, with oil in the pan, long enough till the oil pressure lamp is gone. Or you can insert a rod prepared at the end like the distributor shaft to be inserted into the gear from the pump and you let rotate it with a drilling machine (if you have the space).
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Braits

hi,
thanks for the reply.. but I don't think I understand correctly. I didn't even understand why I have to close the pipe that goes up behind the engine block... sorry, the foreign language is difficult.. and the car is also difficult
Braits

Braits

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on March 26, 2023, 01:14:50 PMEnrico, you can leave the rotor inside the vacuum pump. Behind the starter motor, you will find a valve (see the picture). Follow the tube which goes behind the RH cylinder head and close it the way you can.

Valve.JPG

Good morning, I looked closely where the pipe you posted in the picture goes up, it splits into two others, one goes directly to the wiper motor, the other runs under the carburetor and connects to the intake. do I have to close both the tube that goes up from the vacuum pump and the hole above the intake with a plug to remove everything? Thank you i hope you can help me.
Braits

Braits

If I remove the valve, and close the hole With a plug, does It works?
Braits

Roger Zimmermann

Yes, but you have also to plug the corresponding inlet from the vacuum manifold.

2a Manifold.JPG
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Braits

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on April 21, 2023, 03:44:09 AMYes, but you have also to plug the corresponding inlet from the vacuum manifold.

2a Manifold.JPG

HI
where does this piece come from? ???
 I don't think I've seen it, unfortunately many people have worked on my car (very badly) so I already find some modifications that I don't think are good. I want to remove all the windshield wipers. and close all the hole and pipes to subsequently put o  a 12 volt motor.
Braits

dn010

-----Dan Benedek
'57 Cadillac Sedan Deville 6239DX
'81 DMC DeLorean

Roger Zimmermann

Without knowing how your car is modified, it will be hard to answer your questions. Pictures, pictures are the best explanation!
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Braits

Hi everybody,
 unfortunately I can't upload the photos on this forum, I can't find the way, I should try with a computer, I would like to upload some photos to let you know what I'm tryng to do. I would like to do something very simple on the car, I d like to remove the vacuum wildshield wipers.
Then remove the pipes and plug the holes from which they come out. Here someone told me to close the pipe that goes up behind the block from the valve behind the starter, but I'd like to understand if it's better to remove the valve and put a plug in its place... and the same on the pipe that goes up from the intake,  I would like to eliminate it and plug the hole.. I hope I explained myself
Braits

Braits

Quote from: dn010 on April 21, 2023, 04:29:53 PMSee post #13 and #15 in this link:

https://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=140600.0

I looked at the photos on this link, I think that over the years someone has modified the system and removed some pieces, or bypassed something. Tomorrow I'll try to take some pictures and upload them,
I'm sure that with the pictures you can help me quickly and easily.
thanks
Braits

dn010

If you are removing the vacuum wiper motor and the vacuum manifold pictured above, you are fine to either plug the vacuum lines or removed them completely and use pipe plugs to plug the holes. If you remove the manifold and vacuum lines, you are also removing your ability to use the windshield washer function. If you are going electric wiper motor, it is simple to go to electric washer by installing electric pump, lines and run some wire to install a switch somewhere inside the car so you can activate it.
-----Dan Benedek
'57 Cadillac Sedan Deville 6239DX
'81 DMC DeLorean

Braits

Quote from: dn010 on April 28, 2023, 09:37:31 AMIf you are removing the vacuum wiper motor and the vacuum manifold pictured above, you are fine to either plug the vacuum lines or removed them completely and use pipe plugs to plug the holes. If you remove the manifold and vacuum lines, you are also removing your ability to use the windshield washer function. If you are going electric wiper motor, it is simple to go to electric washer by installing electric pump, lines and run some wire to install a switch somewhere inside the car so you can activate it.

Thank you for your answer,
This is what i want to do,
replace the vacuum motor with an electric one. I think someone has already made this modification, there is a water tank near the driver's side headlight, it has an electric pump connected to a pipe that brings water to the front glass.
I absolutely have to find a way to upload photos

Braits