News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Coming home from 2022 G.N. Our 55 Fleetwood Misfiring!!

Started by Bob Kielar, July 04, 2022, 12:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CadillacFanBob

Frankfort, Illinois

Bob Kielar

Heads and oil pan installed. Rocker arm assemblies had to be shimmed to get proper preload on lifters due to the head's being milled. Did not what to use shorter push rods due to what I read about quality issues with replacement push rods. Oil pump was rebuilt. Some years ago I was able to find a new never used vacuum pump that I kept in dry storage with a little oil on it to prevent rust so that was installed. Getting closer to the test stand.

Keep Cruzin,

Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

Bob Kielar

Very close to getting on test stand.🤞 Had to order special motor mounts to mount to the stand. After testing engine the engine and components will be painted correct color.

Keep Cruzin,
Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

Bob Kielar

Engine made it on the test stand. It was running smooth and as quiet as a church mouse. Oil pressure 40psi cold and 35psi hot running at 2000rpm. Ran for 20 minutes then rubber rear main seal started to leak and also a tick developed. Better to find on the test stand than in the car.

Stay tuned,
Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

Lexi

V63

I try and off set the rear main seal so not to coincide with main bearing cap of 3 and 9 o'clock. I try 10:30 -4:30

Bob Kielar

Thank you William, I'll pass this information on.

Regards,
Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

Caddy Wizard

It is extremely easy to install the rubber main seal backwards.  If so, it will definitely leak.  The seal is a dynamic lip seal and if installed correctly, the oil pressure actually pushes the lip down onto the surface of the crank.  If installed backwards, the oil pressure actually lifts the lip of the seal away from the crank.
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

Bob Kielar

I was at the shop yesterday and gave him a print out of Arts rear main install procedure. He tried a rope seal and that leaked also. So he has another seal that came with the cam and crank kit. He doesn't know the brand it came from the engine machine shop. It looks like  it has a double lip and not as pliable as a best gasket it's brown in color. Wish I would have taken a picture. They are not charging us for any labor to get the engine running correctly and leak free.

The tick is gone he found a brand new lifter that looked suspect got a replacement and engine is running smooth and quiet. Now just to get rid of that pesty leak.
Thanks for all the replies.
Stay tuned,
Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

Bob Kielar

Got to see  engine run on test stand. So far all is good no ticks or leaks. He had to use a new rubber seal that came with the rebuild kit from Rebuilders Choice that the machine shop purchased. There was no brand name on the seal maybe I'll call the supplier to see if they know. It has an extra lip on it compared to best and fel pro the brown seal in the pictures is the one he used. The other pictures are at low idle showing oil psi, water temp,vacuum from pump in oil pan. There is a short video if you care to watch running at a higher rpm and another running lower rpm. Next will be paint the engine and install hopefully next week and then more tuning with a load on the engine. The last picture is of Annie waiting in the rafters for her new engine. ;D
Keep Cruzin,
Bob Kielar

https://youtu.be/39zR8z2vBt8

https://youtube.com/shorts/j1VCua3nJ2w?
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

Caddy Wizard

Bob,

The extra lip/double lip on the brown seal doesn't ride on the crankshaft journal -- it helps fill the slot that the seal fits in.  Only the single lip on the brown seal rides on the crankshaft journal.

My guess about the leak is that the other rubber seal didn't fill the opening as well as this one does (it wasn't as tight of a fit in the opening) and oil was going around the seal, not under the dynamic lip.  That is my guess.  Please ask the engine builder if he agrees with that guess.
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)

V63

Is the engine black now? Are you going to paint it Cadillac engine blue or did I miss that mention?

Bob Kielar

The black is the primer it will be painted Bill Hirsch Cadillac blue.

Regards,
Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

Caddy Wizard

Quote from: Bob Kielar on May 18, 2023, 02:54:27 PMThe black is the primer it will be painted Bill Hirsch Cadillac blue.

Regards,
Bob Kielar

Using black (primer or enamel) as a base coat for the Bill Hirsch Cadillac Blue is a good idea.  The Hirsch paint doesn't cover as well as you might expect, so having a dark color underneath can help for any areas where you don't get a good thick layer of the Hirsch Blue.
Art Gardner

Bob Kielar

Waiting for paint to dry.

Regards,
Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

Caddy Wizard

Looks good!  Bob, isn't that bracket for the power steering supposed to be black? (the bracket extending from the head bolt to the intake manifold bolt). That is what I remember...
Art Gardner

Bob Kielar

I believe blue is correct. This is what I found in the authenticity manual.

Regards,
Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

Bob Kielar

Quote from: Caddy Wizard on May 18, 2023, 09:32:58 AMBob,

The extra lip/double lip on the brown seal doesn't ride on the crankshaft journal -- it helps fill the slot that the seal fits in.  Only the single lip on the brown seal rides on the crankshaft journal.

My guess about the leak is that the other rubber seal didn't fill the opening as well as this one does (it wasn't as tight of a fit in the opening) and oil was going around the seal, not under the dynamic lip.  That is my guess.  Please ask the engine builder if he agrees with that guess.

Here is his reply about the brown seal. He also stated it is a tighter fit.
I sealed the underside with right stuff on both halves, as I did with this seal. There seemed no leakage on underside. As the same on rope seal, I did NOT use sealer on rope seal.

Regards,
Bob Kielar

Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

Bob Kielar

Progress, engine installed today! 😎

Keep Cruzin,

Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

Lexi