News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1976/77 Eldorado Brake Pads - Hydro-Booster

Started by MIKE2CADDIES, January 07, 2023, 09:09:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MIKE2CADDIES

What are the correct and best replacement brake pads for a 1976 0r 1977 Eldorado?
Where can I get the hydo-booster rebuilt or buy a rebuilt one?
Thanks

1976Deville

I have the same problem. I think you can buy a repair kit. Youtube has Videos how to repair them. I wonder if you can swap them out with a newer truck Hydroboost

TJ Hopland

I don't think there is anything special about the pads, same as any other disc setup where you want to have a good match between the rotors and pads.

The hydroboost are somewhat universal, I think a shop told me there are basically 2 repair kits that cover 90% of the models ever made.   They are kinda like a brake or clutch cylinder in that many times its the 'soft' parts that wear and or harden and cause the issues.  In those cases the standard rebuild kit does the trick.  Its also possible that the cylinder bore has worn and then needs to be machined. 

Check with diesel shops that work on the pickup sized trucks.  They will either rebuild them in house or know someone that does.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Chopper1942

O'Reillys lists a reman unit for a 76 ElDorado for $235 + $27 core deposit.  Hydratech Braking Systems would be another vendor with new units.  You might want to contact them for availability and price. http://www.hydratechbraking.com/brakeunits.html

Cadman-iac

Quote from: 1976Deville on February 20, 2023, 08:29:56 PMI have the same problem. I think you can buy a repair kit. Youtube has Videos how to repair them. I wonder if you can swap them out with a newer truck Hydroboost
Where can you get a rebuild kit from for a Hydro-boost? All the places I've been dealing with tell me that you have to get a complete rebuilt unit exchange. I have gone through them and made it work by swapping parts, but it would be nice to have new pieces instead. The swapped pieces only hold up for so long before they begin to leak as well.
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Chopper1942

Check this link.  They sell new conversion units, but if you want yours rebuilt call them and get a price quote.

https://www.powerbrakeservice.net/new-19371979-cadillac-hy19371979.html

Cadman-iac

Quote from: Chopper1942 on February 24, 2023, 02:15:24 PMCheck this link.  They sell new conversion units, but if you want yours rebuilt call them and get a price quote.

https://www.powerbrakeservice.net/new-19371979-cadillac-hy19371979.html

Just  noticed this. Thanks for the information, I appreciate it.
 I'm using a unit from a early to mid 70's, (not positive on the exact year), P30 chassis in my 56.
 The reason why is because the regular Hydro-boost unit with the pressure accumulator mounted on the right side won't fit. The accumulator hits the power steering pump on the 472.
   This unit has a remote mounted accumulator that sits behind the Hydro-boost.
  I am using the original booster location because I didn't want to have to eliminate the drivers side heater box in order to mount it on the firewall. The Hydro-boost unit and master are almost the same length as the original vacuum booster and master cylinder, so it just fits behind the core support. I had to make a new mounting plate for it, and move it to the left slightly in order to clear the engine and accessories. But the pedal linkage lines up perfectly.
 And then I get a dual brake system.

I couldn't find anything like this one in the catalog from Power Brake Service. And I really only need the seal that goes between the two halves of the Hydro-boost housing.
 I guess I'll just have to keep using the seals from other units if I ever need another one.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"