News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1962 Transmission Manual Linkage Assistance

Started by midwestisbest, March 23, 2023, 11:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwestisbest

This is a 1962 Engine & transmission in a 1960 Sedan Deville. I am attempting to connect the rod from the steering column TO the transmission lever.

The rod has been connected to the steering column with no trouble. The other end of the rod features the 'spade' and a lock nut. Both threaded.

The 62 Shop Manual says to put the car in 'DR-4'  with the column selector. Next, put the transmission lever in the 'DR-4' position.

From looking and messing with it, here are what I gather are the gears, starting from top:
1 - Park
2 - Neutral
3 - DR-4 (first drive position)
4 - DR-3 ( I think)
5 - Low
6 - Reverse

I can physically move the manual lever to all these positions with no problem. But when I hook it all up, I can only ever move to 'N' and the 'DR-3' position. No more.

Wondering if anything on it is bent. Also of concern is the closeness of the transmission rod to the accelerator rod.

I've included photos.

Any guidance is appreciated.

References:
1962 Shop Manual:
http://cadillac.oldcarmanualproject.com/manuals/1962/1962%20Shop%20Manual/06-Hydra%20Matic%20Transmission/image13.html

20230323_205805.jpg
20230323_205828.jpg
20230323_130336.jpg
20230323_210533.jpg
20230323_210519.jpg 

Roger Zimmermann

Unfortunately, I see no picture. Something is not clear to me: when you say that you can move the manual lever to all positions, it the lever inside the car or the lever attached to the transmission?
Basically, 1960 and 1962 transmissions are the same.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

midwestisbest

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on March 24, 2023, 04:32:17 AMUnfortunately, I see no picture. Something is not clear to me: when you say that you can move the manual lever to all positions, it the lever inside the car or the lever attached to the transmission?
Basically, 1960 and 1962 transmissions are the same.

Apologies. I thought my photos uploaded. Apparently not. Will remedy that.
I mean the lever attached to the transmission. It appears to work as expected.

Roger Zimmermann

Unfortunately, I don't have pictures about the lever at the transmission. Anyway, your second picture is strange for me: it seems that the lever is doing almost a straight line with the rod coming from the steering column.
The lever at the transmission can only be installed in one position due to the splines on the shaft. With some imagination, it's always possible to install something incorrectly. Is that the case on your transmission? If your pictures are telling the truth, try to move the outside lever in another position. Not easy, but I don't see anything else.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

midwestisbest

Russ Austin has informed me that the end of the linkage (called the 'clevis' in the manual) should be STRAIGHT and not bent, as it is in my photos.

Going to try to straighten it out and re-install. But I have doubts.

20230322_202448.jpg20230323_211025.jpg 

Roger Zimmermann

Oups! I did not see that detail (which is not a detail regarding the function). This bent clevis will not help to transmit the input from the gear shift inside the car to the lever at the transmission.
Has the clevis been bent to compensate for something else which is crook? Could the rod between the steering column and transmission be also bent?
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

midwestisbest

I cannot tell if the rod has been bent or not.
I did straighten the clevis but it still would not go into every gear. Seemed better? But couldnt get to Park or Neutral or Reverse.

Another concern is the accelerator rod HITS the trans rod!

I'll post more pics.

(can't add pics via mobile?)

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on March 25, 2023, 12:02:58 PMOups! I did not see that detail (which is not a detail regarding the function). This bent clevis will not help to transmit the input from the gear shift inside the car to the lever at the transmission.
Has the clevis been bent to compensate for something else which is crook? Could the rod between the steering column and transmission be also bent?
20230325_112428.jpg20230325_124051.jpg20230325_123929.jpg20230325_121547.gif20230325_123929.jpg     

midwestisbest

An acquaintance has looked at the photos and said the transmission levers, both the throttle valve (TV) rod linkage and the selector linkage are 'tweaked'.

They'll have to be 'bent' back to stock. But I'll have to take a real close look at a 'correct' 62 transmission to be able to tell what/where needs bent.

The problem has been finding a single photo!

Roger Zimmermann

It's like I supposed. The clevis was bent because something else was bent too. I have a picture from a '57 transmission wich levers are right. Maybe this will help you to shape the levers the correct way.

55 valve body ready.JPG51 the back is ready.JPG 
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Clewisiii

"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Clewisiii

The arm coming out of your trans is bent.  In its full travel the notch opening should remain  in the same plane. The cut out should always face forward.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

wheikkila

I agree the arm on the transmission is bent. One more question. Is there a difference between the 60 column and a 62? Just a thought.
                    Thanks Wayne

midwestisbest

Quote from: Clewisiii on March 26, 2023, 08:24:04 AMThe arm coming out of your trans is bent.  In its full travel the notch opening should remain  in the same plane. The cut out should always face forward.

Thanks. The attached photo is with the manual lever in 'R'.
62CadillacTransBend.png

I think the bend should take place at the red arrow. Excuse the bad photoshop skills. From the white void is the pic, you can see where it 'was/is'.

I'm comparing it to other photos but I only have whats been posted here and this one which I found on an ebay acution.

1962Cadillac Transmission.png

midwestisbest

Quote from: wheikkila on March 26, 2023, 08:39:42 AMI agree the arm on the transmission is bent. One more question. Is there a difference between the 60 column and a 62? Just a thought.
                    Thanks Wayne

I did look up the part where the selector rod connects to the column. Master parts book says they're the same for 60 and 62.

midwestisbest

Roger Zimmermann

Well, my explanation about the splines is not at all relevant. As I'm overhauling mostly 1956 to 1959, I did not recall that the levers were completely different in the years after 1959. I'm attaching a page from the parts list showing the levers. Maybe you can find where to bend the arm.

001.jpg
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

midwestisbest

Now I'm thinking the bend should be further back.

midwestisbest

UPDATE: It's FIXED!

Used my bare hands and in the Park position, pulled the manual lever into position. About an inch and a half.

It shifts flawlessly through ALL gears.

Thanks again to everyone for their input.