News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1957 deville transmission oil change

Started by Braits, March 31, 2023, 06:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Braits

Hi everybody
I would like to change the transmission oil on my 1957 coupe de ville... the car hasn't run for a few years. today I took the cap off the pan and emptied what was inside. then I removed the pan and cleaned its bottom. I saw the filter, I already know that in Italy it will be very difficult to found a new one. how do you suggest I proceed? I've read that many advise against removing the plug under the flywheel and filling only what is needed from the dipstick tube. if someone tell me step by step what to do from this point.. thank you.
Braits

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Have you run it with the fluid that was in it?
For what it's worth, our 55 had been sitting for years. We elected to not change the fluid and it has been fine. It does leak so has had a poor man's fluid change over the years.
So you may want to run it with what it had.
Jeff R
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Braits

hi,
Thanks for the reply,
I haven't driven the car yet,
A mechanic friend told me, since it's on stands, change the transmission oil too. so I think that now that I've opened the pan it's better to put new oil in it. what do you say?
the internal filter appears to be made of metal mesh. very fine, can be washed? or i have to buy a new one.. ? impossible to find it here. can anyone help me with photos of the filter pipes that slipped off when removing the pan Thank you
Braits

Roger Zimmermann

The filter can/must be washed. Replaceable filters came for the 1960 model year. I will try to find pictures from the pipes.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Roger Zimmermann

I'm not sure if I can unload the picture as I'm not at home.
If one of the tubes went away hen you removed the oil pan, the O ring may be missing. There is one for the small tube and another one for the larger tube.
Without the deals, the pump will not aspire the oil correctly.
55 valve body ready.JPG
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Braits

HEY
thanks for the photos! this is great! the washable filter is also perfect .. a big problem less. I believe that the oring is still there,I Will check.I m pretty sure I pulled the filter too hard and the pipe also slipped off..
Braits

Braits

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on April 01, 2023, 05:56:54 AMI'm not sure if I can unload the picture as I'm not at home.
If one of the tubes went away hen you removed the oil pan, the O ring may be missing. There is one for the small tube and another one for the larger tube.
Without the deals, the pump will not aspire the oil correctly.
55 valve body ready.JPG

HI,
do you also have a photo of the transmission in this position without the filter?
 that you only see the ends of the pipes?
Thanks for your help
 ah another question, the oil refill Is made from the pipe where there is the inspection rod?
Thanks

Braits

Roger Zimmermann

Maybe this picture will help.
Yes, the transmission is to be refilled through the dip stick tube.

51 the back is ready.JPG
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Braits

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on April 02, 2023, 05:21:46 AMMaybe this picture will help.
Yes, the transmission is to be refilled through the dip stick tube.

51 the back is ready.JPG
Thanks,
More or less, tomorrow I Will try to upload a Pic where mi doubt Is.. I m sure that you can tell me exactly what I Need.. because I see that you take of everything from that transmission  ;D
Braits

Roger Zimmermann

Over the years, I have overhauled about 30 Hydramatic transmissions. Two more are coming this year...
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Braits

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on April 03, 2023, 06:04:18 AMOver the years, I have overhauled about 30 Hydramatic transmissions. Two more are coming this year...

Hi!
I wish I lived in America to have real help for my car.. Unfortunately I can't upload photos. I have to try with a computer because I can't show my doubt...
Braits

Roger Zimmermann

Just for your info: I'm living in Switzerland...With good connections to the right people in the US, the difficulties can be reasonable!
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Braits

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on April 06, 2023, 03:31:34 AMJust for your info: I'm living in Switzerland...With good connections to the right people in the US, the difficulties can be reasonable!
Ciao,
I'm sorry if I haven't replied, I've had too much to do at work these weeks, this weekend I'd like to finish the last few things and fill in the oil. could you tell me how many kg you need? Do I use dexron 2 or is it better 3? Thank you
Braits

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: Braits on April 20, 2023, 03:03:51 AMcould you tell me how many kg you need?
What would you like to know? I don't understand the question...
Oil: I would use Dexron III.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Braits

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on April 20, 2023, 03:18:27 AMWhat would you like to know? I don't understand the question...
Oil: I would use Dexron III.

Sorry,
I plan to buy dexron III oil too, My question is, to figure out how many liters of oil I need to put in the transmission.
Thanks.
Braits

Daryl Chesterman

In Enrico's first post he said, "I've read that many advise against removing the plug under the flywheel and filling only what is needed from the dipstick tube."  Can someone explain why a person would not drain the torus, since it contains almost half of the total fluid?  I don't understand why there isn't a drain plug in the torque converter of modern automatic transmissions.  To only drain half of the contaminated oil seems like it is not a very good practice.

Enrico, to answer your question as to how much fluid to put in, the answer depends on whether you drain the fluid from the plug behind the flywheel (drain the torus).  If you have the shop manual, it will tell you the procedure for refilling the transmission and how much fluid to use, but the directions are based on draining the torus.

Daryl Chesterman

Braits

Quote from: Daryl Chesterman on April 20, 2023, 01:10:37 PMIn Enrico's first post he said, "I've read that many advise against removing the plug under the flywheel and filling only what is needed from the dipstick tube."  Can someone explain why a person would not drain the torus, since it contains almost half of the total fluid?  I don't understand why there isn't a drain plug in the torque converter of modern automatic transmissions.  To only drain half of the contaminated oil seems like it is not a very good practice.

Enrico, to answer your question as to how much fluid to put in, the answer depends on whether you drain the fluid from the plug behind the flywheel (drain the torus).  If you have the shop manual, it will tell you the procedure for refilling the transmission and how much fluid to use, but the directions are based on draining the torus.

Daryl Chesterman

HI,
I have not drained the torus. just removed the pan, and the oil that was in it.
I saw that the pan had already been removed earlier, as there is no gasket, just a lot of topping paste. and the oil seemed fresh. I bought a new original gasket and thought I'd put new oil in anyway.
I cleaned the pan and filter,
I found a photo that says that the total capacity of the transmission is 10 liters, 11 quarts..
Braits