News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

What have you done with your Cadillac today?

Started by TJ Hopland, May 07, 2020, 01:57:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K_Cassutt

Let's just say he was more excited about my new job than my wife!
Every little thing checked out indeed!

scotth3886

Quote from: jaxops on May 08, 2020, 09:32:28 AM
We have a running commentary on the American Station Wagon Owners Assoc site.
I replaced my spark plug wires today on the 56 Cadillac.  Some of them are too short to weave through the spreader/holders though.  I sent Fusick a note that not all models can have the same length wires.  Everything works though as a finale to the oil change, spark plugs, points/condenser, and rotor I did over the last 2 weeks.

It's good to stay busy.  I'm running out of projects......uh-oh!

That means time for another car.

Lexi

Quote from: jaxops on May 08, 2020, 09:32:28 AM
I replaced my spark plug wires today on the 56 Cadillac.  Some of them are too short to weave through the spreader/holders though.

Out of curiosity Mark, does your '56 still have the spark plug wire loom holder (that the rubber "spreader/holders" are inserted into)? If yes, it may be too far back towards the firewall. They do have a nasty tendency to move though, and I have found them to be not a stable system to maintain wire loom length. Clay/Lexi

2manycars

I've been dragging my butt on an A/C and under hood rehab on my 64 CdV. Reassembled the rehabbed heater box last week, and getting set to do the same on the evaporator box. Had pass fender off already, and took the rest of the nose off this week, except the rad support. Might get that off today. After that the engine/trans get pulled for cleaning/resealing/painting, plus a new timing chain - just to be sure. ;)

Next week will be more fun as I clean and refinish everything I pulled off of it up until now.
1964 Coupe de Ville
My Current Projects:
1957 Ford Thunderbird
1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS Convertible
My Special One:
2001 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible (bought it new)

2manycars

Quote from: 67_Eldo on May 08, 2020, 09:51:32 AM
Whoa! Pouring money indeed! :-)

Pulling an Eldorado engine is not a trivial task -- that monstrous hood has to come off too, you know -- so have every little thing done while it is out. That goes for the transmission too.
Here is a solution I found to the problem of removing and securing a large heavy hood. I purchased this device from Summit Racing. It secures to the lift beam of my engine cherry picker. Worked like a charm, and I was able to handle this task alone. Bear in mind that I am not a large person - 5 foot 3, age 65 - and I still did it. You DO still have to hold onto it so that the assembly doesn't pivot out of control into someplace you don't want the hood to be - like into your windshield!

The first photo is of the hood fixture attached to my hoist, and supporting the hood, just before I took out the hood bolts from the hinges.

The second photo is of the car just before starting this week's activity on it. It runs well, but leaks oil *everywhere*. Same for the trans. This is why they are coming out. You can see where I cleaned and repainted the evaporator chamber. There had been a sizeable mouse nest in there.

1964 Coupe de Ville
My Current Projects:
1957 Ford Thunderbird
My Special One:

Scot Minesinger

Bill,

You are genius! 

OK, please the link, part number or someway to figure out how to buy the hood holder from Summit that works on a cherry picker.  I have to install the hood on a car I'm working on, and dreading the idea of bringing in two other guys, the scheduling and etc. 

Thanks,

Scot
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

2manycars

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on May 08, 2020, 12:45:53 PM
Bill,

You are genius! 

OK, please the link, part number or someway to figure out how to buy the hood holder from Summit that works on a cherry picker.  I have to install the hood on a car I'm working on, and dreading the idea of bringing in two other guys, the scheduling and etc. 

Thanks,

Scot

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mrm-m998090

There you go! I have purchased quite a bit from Summit, and they are first rate. Shipping is FAST.

That thing was a great invention!
1964 Coupe de Ville
My Current Projects:
1957 Ford Thunderbird
My Special One:

Lexi

Looks like I got to get me one of those. Thanks for posting. Clay/Lexi

35-709

Here's a shot that is a little easier to take it all in.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

2manycars

Quote from: 35-709 on May 08, 2020, 01:22:50 PM
Here's a shot that is a little easier to take it all in.
Thank you!

One thing I think I will try when I put the hood back on, is to tie a piece of rope to either the hood latch or the top section of the fixture, so that I can more easily control the tilt of the hood from behind the hoist. That might make things a bit easier to control.
1964 Coupe de Ville
My Current Projects:
1957 Ford Thunderbird
My Special One:

scotth3886

Quote from: 2manycars on May 08, 2020, 01:01:20 PM
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mrm-m998090

There you go! I have purchased quite a bit from Summit, and they are first rate. Shipping is FAST.

That thing was a great invention!

2nd and 3rd that.  Amazing how much old car stuff Summit can come up with for fast and cheap.  Not just a hot rod / drag racing supplier.

Harley Earl

Quote from: scotth3886 on May 08, 2020, 01:31:15 PM
2nd and 3rd that.  Amazing how much old car stuff Summit can come up with for fast and cheap.  Not just a hot rod / drag racing supplier.

4th it about Summit.  I have used them for several builds and their customer service is the best that I have experienced in the business, especially surrounding parts fitment issues and quality control on certain items purchased.  Order your stuff early enough in the day and the parts are waiting at your doorstep for the work that is planned the next day.  Keeps my ADD from overtaking the planned job...
Hoping for a Standard Trans Cimarron

Previous
1950 Series 61 Sedan - Savoy Gray
1974 Coupe de Ville - Victorian Amber Firemist
1959 Coupe de Ville - Brenton Blue
And 20 "other" Cadillacs from the 40s to the 80s

67_Eldo

Quote from: 2manycars on May 08, 2020, 12:00:14 PM
Here is a solution I found to the problem of removing and securing a large heavy hood.
That is great!

We pulled the hood on my '67 Eldorado in Auto Body class and it took five of us to put it back on.

The main problems are the "floating nut" assemblies that make it impossible to simply stick in a hood-holding bolt and tighten it. Even though the shop manual provides a vital tip -- screw studs into the floating-nut assemblies as guide pins -- you still end up having to chase those bolts around a bit as you're putting stuff back together.

One of those fixtures would have probably kept everything steady enough to ease the pain of re-attachment.

Anderson

Got the steering sorted out on the Eldorado.  Took it up to Williamsburg and back at lunchtime.

2danreed

Ha, ha... interesting topic while we're all stuck in the middle of a pandemic. So, at least it gave me time to spend on issues I haven't gotten to like cleaning and polishing the dash surfaces and knobs in my 1964 sedan. Then I replaced a headlight. I have been out a few times in the Cadillac and able to at least enjoy a nice drive, although to know where but back home again. I work the car show circuit as a vendor so its going to be an interesting season, and not in a good way.
Dan Reed

The Tassie Devil(le)

I still prefer the rope method of removing the Hood, and a lot cheaper, with no chance of removing paint.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Cadman-iac

There's only one problem with that hood tool. It states that the weight limit is only 100 pounds.  Everybody knows that a Cadillac hood is a minimum of 500 pounds, LOL!!!
All joking aside,  I think I'm going to have to get one of those too, or try to make my own.  I'm tired of trying to remove and install hoods by myself. It's possible,  but not easy. And I'm getting too old for this crap now.
Thanks for the tip about this.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

2manycars

Quote from: Cadman-iac on May 09, 2020, 12:21:56 AM
There's only one problem with that hood tool. It states that the weight limit is only 100 pounds.  Everybody knows that a Cadillac hood is a minimum of 500 pounds, LOL!!!
All joking aside,  I think I'm going to have to get one of those too, or try to make my own.  I'm tired of trying to remove and install hoods by myself. It's possible,  but not easy. And I'm getting too old for this crap now.
Thanks for the tip about this.

Rick
I'll be honest with you -- I never even noticed about the capacity. I stumbled onto it when I was shopping for a new engine stand. I saw it there and bought it, and an engine stand. The engine stand I got has a crank on it for rotating the engine. I should be trying that out with a certain 429 before Monday is out. ;)
1964 Coupe de Ville
My Current Projects:
1957 Ford Thunderbird
My Special One:

jaxops

Quote from: lexi on May 08, 2020, 10:40:49 AM
Out of curiosity Mark, does your '56 still have the spark plug wire loom holder (that the rubber "spreader/holders" are inserted into)? If yes, it may be too far back towards the firewall. They do have a nasty tendency to move though, and I have found them to be not a stable system to maintain wire loom length. Clay/Lexi
Yes I have 2 of them.  One pulls the wires back to the center of the valve cover, and the others float between there and the distributor cap.  That's what I meant when I said the wires came up short.  Even without the spreaders/holders, the wires are a bit short. 
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

Lexi