News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Cadillac dealership in Indianapolis in 1950

Started by Russ Hobden #1235, March 11, 2006, 11:34:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ Hobden #1235

Do you know the name of the Cadillac dealership(s) in Indianapolis that was in operation in 1950?  I received my packette of information from GM Archives and it says my car was shipped there on January 31st, but doesnt say which dealership.  If they are still in operation I want to write to them and see if they have any information on this car.  Thanks.  Russ Hobden #1235.

Fred Garfield 22310

You could try these. They might know.

Lockhart Cadillac
5550 North Keystone Av
Indianapolis, IN  46220
317-253-1551

Tutwiler Cadillac
2295 North Illinois St
Indianapolis, IN 46208
317-924-6111

Main libraries in major cities also have phone book data going way back. Something like this would be cake walk for a reference librarian.

Russ Hobden #1235

Bob Hoffmann CLC #96

To Russ & other people that are trying to "research" their cars. The average dealership is lucky to have ANY information going back 5 years much less 56 years. Time is time. Even if the owner of the dealership special ordered the car for himself & he was 50 at the time... well;just do the math. Bob

Barry Wheeler #2189

Dealership was Hoosier Cadillac. They were a part of the Cinncinati Zone. They were located at about 2800 N. Illinois Street. The dealership was located there until at least 1965, as I can remember sitting in a brand new Fleetwood Brougham on the showroom floor. It had been transferred to Ed Tutwiller, who still owns the dealership now located on North Meridian Street, just north of the I-465 beltway. They also had a showroom out the "back door" in the forties in a corresponding location a block away at North Meridian Street at Fall Creek Parkway.
As a teenager, I used to start at the Dodge agency just north of the city library (about 11th street) and walk north collecting sales literature, and ending at the Cadillac agency. I would assume the properties were connected, and the showroom on Meridian Street was the main one, as that street was Indianapolis automobile row back then.

Tom Hall 7485

During WWII, this outlet and distributorship was located at 2330 N. Meridian Street and was managed by a C. R. Hammond. By 1963 it had changed addresses to 2323 N. Illinois Street, and the manager had changed, as well.  This according to distributor records of the day.

Robert Bothwell

Hoosier Cadillac was still at the north Meridian street address in 1967. I bought a 63 Caddy convertible there for which I paid the princly sum of $1750. (that after they fixed two rust holes in the front fenders and did a valve job!)
  This was the same dealer who sold my Grandfather his (my) new 1940 60s.
 Bob b.

Russ Hobden #1235

All of you were right.  They dont have any info older than seven years old.  The dealership was Hoosiers in 1950.  The folks I talked to were extremely nice but suggested I try the Dept. of Motor Vehicles for the info I want.  Thanks for your reply.  Russ #1235