News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1949 Cadillac Convertible Top Pinch Weld Moldings - smooth or snaps?

Started by ClassicNation, May 23, 2023, 05:35:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClassicNation

Hello - I've got a '49 Cadillac Convertible with a rough Convertible Top Pinch Weld Molding on the rear. The piece appears to have had holes for what I assume were convertible boot snaps, but someone has since welded those smooth. I've seen some 1949 Cadillac convertibles with the boot snaps located on this trim piece, and I've seen others with the snaps located on some soft fabric piece just inside of the convertible top pinch weld moldings. What was original?

Abe Lugo

Just my opinion.  It really depends on the place your take it to get the top done.  I have seen convertibles done with either a chrome strip with the snaps.  Or a rolled fabric stayfast with the snaps both with the little corner ends.  Mine was done with a fabric style finish. 

Forgot to mention. The snaps are there for the boot to snap onto when you have the top down and you want to cover it.  So most times there are snaps. 

Under that between the snaps, top fabric goes a strip of wood or trim material that the actual top fabric gets stapled to.

This piece is usually screwed in and shaped to the rear panel and flat at the outer side.  Some shops seal it with a black weather proof paint or cover it in a vinyl. 

I'm sure someone will chime in.   
I would collect pics of other '49 as references and check.
Abe Lugo  CLC#31763  Sunny Los Angeles,CA @abelugo IG

Jay Friedman

1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

cadillac ken

Interestingly, my '58 Eldo has trim molding for the rear opening where the top resides and does not have snaps. However it was, I believe, in '57 when Cadillac offered a hard boot as an option to cover the collapsed top in the well.  The cars that opted for that hard boot did not have the snaps on the trim molding.

But of course in '49, to my knowledge, (others here my know more than me about this) there was no hard boot option.  Just a fun fact I thought I'd share.