News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Daily Driver Died

Started by Clewisiii, June 06, 2023, 09:00:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clewisiii

Well this morning on the way to work going 70 miles an hour on the middle lane of the freeway a deer ran out into the side of my car. 

This sucks but is actually kind of cool.  I work in automotive interiors and have developed airbag deployment systems for over ten years.  I have literally deployed over a hundred airbags in testing. But this was my first close up deployment.  Curtain airbags both sides. Front and rear driver side seat airbags. 

The curtain airbags slapped the side of my face so my cheek is a little sore. It also hit the top of my arm scrapping a little skin.

The seat belt pretensioners deployed pulling the belt tight to my body. So I have a little rash on my shoulder.   

It sucks that this will most likely be a total.  But what a wonderful experience and story.  No one injured because I was not an idiot and try to swerve hitting the other vehicles around me. 

Live life for the stories

IMG_20230606_065946951.jpgIMG_20230606_071119399.jpgIMG_20230606_082034471.jpgIMG_20230606_070448416.jpgIMG_20230606_081821658.jpgIMG_20230606_082001320.jpgIMG_20230606_070159971.jpg       
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Cadman-iac

I'm sorry to hear about your car, it looks like it was a great ride.
 It also looks like the air bags have done more damage than the deer did. That's too bad. I hope your insurance company deals fairly with you.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Dave Shepherd

As a retired adjuster, I can say the real repair cost are the air bags, not the damage.  Some states do not include that non damage cost when deciding if a car is a total. Generally 70% of a comparable vehicle on the market, at retail, is the way it is figured.

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Your story reminded me of an instance that a customer that was thinking of purchasing a 1993/94 Seville and asked about how safe it was. I didn't say a word, just motioned for him to follow me. We went through the shop to the back door, where the junkers were parked.

Another of my customers with the same car had hit another car that had pulled out in front of him when he was going about 70 MPH. The impact was squarely in the front. I walked around the car, opening first the driver's door. Then slammed it shut and opened the LR door. Same deal. Around the back, to the RR, Ditto. RF the same.

All of the doors were perfectly aligned and opened and closed like a car on the showroom floor.

I sold the car. (Since this happened way back in the early 90's some of the details might be fuzzy in this war story. But the fact remains that all four doors did still fit perfectly after a major impact.)
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Clewisiii

Front on impact is always the best impact for survivability.  It is 20% offset that  is the problem.  But not so much anymore.  I like the fact that the car did what it was supposed to do. Protect me not itself. 
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Clewisiii

@Dave Shepherd

Dave,
As they assess value I know it would just be a computer print out estimate.  But do I have ability to argue for value.  Specifically the value of this color combination.  I spent a while go find this Dark blue and cream interior.  Black on Black or white with black just is not comparable to me. 

I also don't think it will help. But they are sending a truck today to take it and come up with a price.

Best foot forward I washed it to maybe get an extra $100

Right now KBB says this is only a $5000 car.  But I do not think this can be replaced for near that cost currently.

IMG_20230606_115308573.jpgIMG_20230606_115404489.jpgIMG_20230606_115329469.jpgIMG_20230606_115539306.jpg   

Clewisiii

I still like this one.  Same car. Only difference color and white walls. 20,000 difference at auction.

z3skybolt

Seems a minor impact as things go.  I've experienced far more damage, more than once, in "non airbag" cars and walked away without a scratch.  In this instance are the airbags an overkill? No pun intended. Just asking.  Food for thought. Not trying to make someone angry.  Below is my LaSalle from 3 years ago. Not even a bruise.  Lucky but......to my point.  If it were not for airbag replacement your car would be a pretty easy fix.    IMG_2007.JPG

Bob R.
1940 LaSalle 5227 Coupe(purchased May 2016)
1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. Bought New.

Dave Shepherd

The regs in NYS state the ins.co. has to find comps
 for your car using private sales info and dealer asking prices, then average all of them, this has to be done in a 100 mile radius if possible. I'd check  with how they are required to come up with a price, another option  if the exact car is unavailable, we averaged, Kbb, Nada and Edmunds.

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Carl, thank you. I haven't seen a shot of one of those big BMWs since I left Berlin in 1963. I'd forgotten all about them. Regretfully, in my role as Administrator, I have to ask you to delete the two pictures of the Big Beemer unless you can sneak a picture of a Cadillac in there with them.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Cadman-iac

Just photoshop a Cimarron in the background, they'll never know, lol!! I won't tell!
CLC# 32373

Clewisiii

They are totaling the car and giving me $9400. About the best I could hope for

Cadman-iac

Sounds like the wash job was a good idea. Glad you got a decent settlement out of it.

Rick
CLC# 32373

Dave CLC#16900

@Clewisiii,

Glad you are ok.  Also, IHSV!

Brother Dave
Dave CLC#16900

1956 C 6237SDX ELS
1975 C 6CD47 CDV

Clewisiii

Quote from: Dave CLC#16900 on June 08, 2023, 08:13:27 PM@Clewisiii,

Glad you are ok.  Also, IHSV!

Brother Dave

You saw that. Kind of washed out in the glare.

My license plate is 18EX55. Planing to get E1855X for the 61. I checked still available.