News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

66 devile water pump replacement

Started by Frank g, June 08, 2023, 09:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank g

Hi guys

My 1966 caddy deville convertible is passing out antifreeze from water pump ... gonna start replacing it with my buddy on Tuesday night.. any suggestions or tricks of the trade .we are pretty sure it's original water pump ... thankyou in advance

Frank G

Chris McBride

A recent discussion:

https://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=171969.msg539630#msg539630

with some links to start your research.

Perhaps the original poster has more current info?

hth

Chris

billyoung

Remove your factory installed USA built water pump and send it out to be rebuilt then reinstall it. DO NOT buy some new piece of made in China garbage. Word to the wise.
Age 68, Living in Gods waiting room ( Florida ) Owned over 40 Old Cadillac's from 1955's to 1990 Brougham's. Currently own a 1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible and a 1992 Cadillac 5.7 Brougham.

Frank g

Hi thankyou for ur input ... Oh wow. Really ? I had points with OPGI caddilac and ordered there's since it was free.. but I see it has the extra port that you screw in a cap... I've only had my deville for a few years so I'm a novice at best...lol

Michael Petti

Rebuild the original if at all possible.  Our favorite overseas supplier can not offer any where near the same quality.

Frank g

Hi guys

Thanks for imput gents... I put in the Original parts group water pump i fot free with my points  well car is running warm ..didn't change the thermostat cause did recently but pretty sure it's stuck.. gonna change to another 180 degrees stat.. do You guys recommend any particular thermostat ???  Car stalls so have to check timing ...Also where should I send Original pump to get rebuilt??? Will do it to keep for future... thanks so much ... Frank G.

Clewisiii

I sent mine to Arthur Gould Rebuilder. It looks great. But I have not used it yet.

https://agrebuilders.com/
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

TJ Hopland

For a thermostat I would test what ever you get through a few cycles in a pot of water.   With the quality of many of todays parts I would test the original and keep it if its still working.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Frank g

Thanks guys unfortunately the original one didn't come with car .mine is a gates from Napa ... I'm looking for an original one in ebay but in the mean time I'll have to install one from auto parts place...any suggestions??? .yes most if not all parts are crap today ...

Frank g

Quote from: Clewisiii on August 06, 2023, 08:21:22 PMI sent mine to Arthur Gould Rebuilder. It looks great. But I have not used it yet.

https://agrebuilders.com/
thankyou so much !

dadscad

I like the Stant brand for thermostats and radiator caps. In years past, I had bad results using the Napa thermostat. My car ran hotter for some reason.
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

Chopper1942

If you are going to test your thermostat in water on a stove, remember that the rated temp is the temp that the thermostat starts to open, not fully open. Also, make sure the thermostat is a pellet type, because they perform better.

Frank g

Thanks guys ...yes I'll find a Stant 180 ... yes I saw a vid on stove top checking it

Frank g

Actually guys I will take pictures of my water pump I removed i need your help to know if its original ...I'm hoping it's original. I'll have it rebuilt at the place in Massachusetts that the other gentlemen recomeded ....any ball park idea on cost of rebuilding pump ...I figure I'll have the original and a. BAck up ...

Frank g

Well guys the frustration continues... so changed pump last week .today changed thermostat put in a stant 180 .. changed sending unit and crimpped a new clip on wire.  adjusted timing and carb running great ... problem is the stock temapture Guage is still acting wacky ..goes way past the H at times depending the hills direction lol .my mechanic thinks the Gauge may be no good ..?? Are those even fixable ? I will hit the motor with an infro red temp meter tomorrow at storeage where the caddy is parked ... ughhh will it even end?? Lol   Thankyou so much.  Frank G

TJ Hopland

Yes checking it with a gun is a good idea because that will tell you if the coolant temp is actually going wacky and the gauge is telling you the right thing.

The electric temp senders are just a variable resistance to ground so you should be able connect an ohm meter and see what its reading.  I doubt GM used vary many senders over the years so it should not be to hard to find out how many ohms means what temp and compare that to what you read with the IR gun around the sender. 

And speaking of the fact that the sensor works to ground try adding some grounds in various place to make sure its not just an overall grounding issue with the engine vs body or even to the sensor itself.  IF you went nuts with tape or some other thread sealer it may not be grounding to the engine at all so the ground is coming from the coolant which isn't the best ground.

Do the Cadillac's in this era have any sort of an instrument voltage regulator?   I know that was a common thing for some 60's cars, no idea if Cadillac used them tho.   If its got one and its going wacky maybe its sending wacky voltage to the gauge?  But you would also expect it to effect the fuel gauge too. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

dadscad

If the temperature sensor was replaced with one from a local parts store it probably is the wrong resistance for the gage. LectricLimited has the proper replacement sensor for our cars with the correct resistance curve.

https://www.lectriclimited.com/electrical-devices-components
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

Frank g

Omg both amazing posts thankyou.  I got a sending unit at Napa I forget which one....

Frank g

Hi guys

Ok today used a burping kit amd removed enough air to put in another half gallon of anit freeze . DADSCAD I checked the site they didn't have a sending unit for a 66 deville sadly .... I. Using one from Napa...the stock temp Guage stills shows at half then goes up to.3/4 of ev3n the H ... hoping a ground .my buddy's think a bad Guage but it worked perfect before the water pump swap ... I used an I.r. gun and got Temps of 183 to 190 ... ran the heat for awhile too . I'm feeling defeated .sighhhh .please help fellas .thankyou
Frank G .

dadscad

Hi Frank, looks like they have one listed. It has the factory style nail head connector type. They sell repair kits for wiring that has been modified.

https://www.lectriclimited.com/temperature-sending-unit-117482
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille