News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1955 Eldorado - Turn signal adjustment

Started by Lockhouse, November 27, 2022, 07:53:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lockhouse

Hi,

The turn signal indicator on my '55 Eldo seems to be working fine except when I indicate right. When indicating right the indicator lever hits the chrome trim on the steering shaft which stops it travelling far enough up to permanently engage so I have to hold the indicator in place when turning right. Please see pic. I have a little too much space when turning left so if I could just adjust the chrome shroud towards the right without moving the actual switch that would solve my problems. I'm assuming it would mean pulling the steering wheel but apart from that is it something that's adjustable when exposed?

Thank you,

Andy
20221127_123914.jpg

Roger Zimmermann

I'm afraid you will have to pull the steering wheel.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Lockhouse

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on November 27, 2022, 09:50:06 AMI'm afraid you will have to pull the steering wheel.

Thanks - I suspected that was the case but once I've done that is it a straightforward fix? The service manual is not much help.

Roger Zimmermann

In fact, the attaching holes should not allow the part to be misaligned. After more than 60 years, who knows what happens?
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Lockhouse

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on November 28, 2022, 02:53:16 AMIn fact, the attaching holes should not allow the part to be misaligned. After more than 60 years, who knows what happens?

That was my worry - pulling the steering wheel and not being able to make any adjustment.

Lockhouse

Hi,

Just got back to this after a break working on other bits.

I've made a short video detailing the issue so you can see exactly what's going on. You can see that the "hump" of the spring is just not being cleared when turning right. It needs just the slightest of adjustments, but it's not clear to me what I need to adjust.

Thank you,

Andy

Roger Zimmermann

The aperture into the chromed ring is not centered compared to the middle position of the turn signal lever. The turn indicator switch is screwed into that chromed ring. I would remove it, make the attaching holes larger till the switch is centered. You will have to remove the steering wheel for that. I have to say that this rework may not be possible, I don't remember if the switch can be rotated a bit with enlarged holes.. If not, you could enlarge the aperture into the chromed ring. With those cars, we have to be sometimes creative...
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Lockhouse

Thanks Roger.

When I pulled the wheel there was just enough play for me to undo and retighten the ring using the indicator lever to hold it in position when I retightened it. Sorted!

Video here:

Best regards,

Andy