News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1949 Series 62 Tail Pipe Fit Issue

Started by Joe Jensen, February 04, 2023, 11:26:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Jensen

I have ordered an exhaust system for my '49 Club Coupe series 62 and I am having trouble getting the tail pipe to fit correctly.  I contacted the shop that made it and they tell me it is exactly the same as OEM and they sent me a picture of a tail pipe with what appears to a Cadillac parts tag showing it to be P/N 145 4587.  I checked my MPL and it appears that is correct for all 1949 series 61 and 62 cars.  The exhaust that was on my car was not original, or a reproduction so I can't really compare that one.  I took some pictures to show the fitment issues.  I hope I am just missing something or have a routing issue.

The hoop that goes over the axle seems to go into what I believe is the right place but the end of the pipe comes up short of the rear bumper and has a downward trajectory.

I included a picture showing the pipe zip-tied to the rear tail pipe support so you can see it is supported as shown in the pictures.

Thank you for your help!
Joe

Bill Kaufman CLC# 15225

Joe, I can only speak from having a 48 with the 346 flatty but the exhaust looks similar to mine. The only thing I can think of is that since the car did not have the original exhaust , maybe where you connected the new to the old there was a slight difference causing the tail pipe to tilt lower. Anyway I bet if you took your car to any muffler shop they could find and fix the problem in a matter of minutes. Good Luck !    Bill
If you ain't Wrenching ...  You ain't Livin.  So get out there and Live a little..  !!

Current Labors of LOVE;
1948 series 62 Club Coupe / 346 L head / Rendon Blue
1954 series 62 Sport Coupe / 331 V8 / Aztec Red
1970 Deville Rag Top / 472 V8 / Nottingham Green

Previous Caddies ;

1969 Fleetwood Eldorado / 472 V8 / Wisteria
1974 Sedan DeVille
1993 SLS / White Diamond
2006 CTS / White Diamond

Jay Friedman

I agree with Bill.  I have a 49 which I take to a muffler shop for exhaust issues. They can hang, bend and fit the pipes.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

harry s

Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Joe Jensen

Thank you everyone.  The exhaust I ordered was complete (from exhaust manifold back).  The hanger where the outlet of the muffler to the tail pipe does line up with the hanger bracket so I believe my problem is not from anything from the muffler and forward.

I reset the tail pipe and got it as high as I could (it isn't hitting anything so I believe I can secure it there) and I was able to improve the appearance.  From my Authenticity manual it says the exhaust pipe should come out flush with the rear bumper but my tail pipe is about 3" short of that.  Also, the tail pipe has some space between the bumper.  Should the tail pipe be right up against the rear bumper or is the elevation in the picture see ok?

Thank you for your help.

Joe

toybox

Hi Joe, My 46 coup looked like what you have posted when we bought it and no it should not be touching the bumper. Mine was about 1.5" below it. Sorry I can't send any pictures as I have since added duel exhausts.                       
                                                                                     Tim