News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Len Langlois Former CLC Member Passes

Started by Scott Nellis, March 11, 2023, 02:51:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Nellis

Hello CLC members. It is with profound sadness that I would like to share the news of the passing of former fellow Canadian CLC member Len Langlois. Peacefully on Wednesday, March 8, 2023 Len drove off to greener pastures. A devoted husband to his lovely wife Mary An for 64 years, a loving father, grandfather and great-grandfather, Len left quite a footprint. My sincere condolences to Mary An, family and his countless friends. For information regarding funeral arrangements please contact McKinlay Funeral Home 459 St. Clair Street, Chatham, Ontario. 519-351-2040
   Len started his career in EMS service at the age of 16 in 1956 working with ABC Ambulance in Windsor, Ontario. He continued working for various private ambulance services through 1974. In 1975 Len became the sole owner/operator of the Chatham and District Ambulance Service. During that time he was instrumental in the development and support of the local EMS service, educational requirements, mentoring of future leaders, and as a leader of the provincial management group, The Ontario Ambulance Operators Association where he served on the board for many years including terms as board member, president and past president.
   To say that Len was an avid antique car enthusiast would be an understatement. Over the years he owned many Cadillac Hearses and Ambulances and was a long standing member of The Professional Car Society as well as the CLC. I first met Len at a PCS meet many years ago and we became fast friends. To this day I still own a 1970 Superior Cadillac 3-Way Hearse that I purchased from him back in 2008. He always had high praise for the CLC and pestered me to join for years. I finally became a member just over a year ago and realized why he was so adamant that I join.
   Len left a lasting impression an all that knew him and touched many lives with his kindness, generosity and wisdom. He was a people person and had a gift for making people feel welcome. He always had a hearty handshake, big smile and infectious humour. Much like our beloved vintage Cadillacs they just don't make them like that anymore. Godspeed my friend.

Sincerely,
              Scott Nellis

1957 Eureka Hearse
1965 Miller-Meteor Hearse
1968 Miller-Meteor Hearse
1968 Fleetwood Brougham
1970 Superior Hearse

Lexi

Although I never met Len, his name is legendary here. He will be missed. My condolences to his family and friends. Clay/Lexi

billyoung

Age 68, Living in Gods waiting room ( Florida ) Owned over 40 Old Cadillac's from 1955's to 1990 Brougham's. Currently own a 1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible and a 1992 Cadillac 5.7 Brougham.

Carfreak

Len was such a wonderful person; we always enjoyed our interaction with him at car shows and fire truck events.  We will definitely miss his smiling face.   

I don't know how he had the time but Len was also responsible for the Ontario EMS Museum at the Canadian Transportation Museum not too far from Windsor. Definitely a fun place to visit which will be lacking without him. 

https://chatham.mckinlayfuneralhome.com/tribute/details/9308/Len-Langlois/obituary.html
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

Scott Nellis

Thank you Carfreak for posting the hyperlink to Len's obituary. My limited computer abilities prevented me from doing so. My original post here barely scratches the surface as to Len's contributions to society. I encourage people to click on the link to read his obituary. He deserves that. Thanks also for pointing out that Len was instrumental in creating The Ontario EMS Museum in Essex County. I was actually there in 2008 for the grand opening ribbon-cutting ceremony along with fellow Professional Car Society members and some Cadillac LaSalle Club members as well. If memory serves, Walter McCall the famous automotive historian and author of "80 Years Of Cadillac LaSalle", was also there.
   I was at Len's funeral visitation today and they had one of his vintage ambulances parked in front of the funeral home. I spoke with his wife, children and grandchildren and we shared some memories. There was an impressive display with many photos of his vintage cars including his beautiful 1968 Superior Cadillac High Top Ambulance which is still on display at The Ontario EMS Museum. I remember when he purchased that car and prepared it for display in the museum. It is a real time capsule.
   For anyone who wanted to attend Len's Celebration of Life but is unable to make it, the funeral home will have a live-stream link at 11:00 am on Sunday, March 12. I have never done this before, but I believe if you go to his obituary on their website you click on the link at the bottom.
1957 Eureka Hearse
1965 Miller-Meteor Hearse
1968 Miller-Meteor Hearse
1968 Fleetwood Brougham
1970 Superior Hearse