News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1959 Gas Pedal Not Returning

Started by Cadillac Nut, March 03, 2016, 01:18:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cadillac Nut

The gas pedal is not returning all the way on my '59.  I got a new spring for it, it returns part way but not all the way.  I have lubricated it a bunch of times, was stuck when I got the car but is free now.  Just got the car up and running after sitting a long time.  Any ideas?

Thanks!
Garrett

Julien Abrahams

Can you locate where it is possibly binding? The gas pedal is connected to the carburetor through a number of linkages. See if you can determine where it is binding and why. A helper (who pumps the pedal slowly with the engine off) is helpful in this case. :).
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett

Jon S

Also check where the linkage passes through the fire wall.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Jeff Wilk

Sounds silly I know, but also check under the gas pedal area itself as many times over the years the carpet and padding get torn, bunched up, dirt piles under and around those areas too which can bind them......other than that be sure to disconnect at the carb too and see if it is the linkage binding or is it mechanical binding within the carb mechanism itself.......seen that too......

Jeff
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

bcroe

Quote from: Cadillac NutThe gas pedal is not returning all the way on my '59.  I got a new spring for it, it returns part way but not all the way.  I have lubricated it a bunch of times, was stuck when I got the car but is free now.  Just got the car up and running after sitting a long time.  Any ideas?  Garrett   

That linkage is a bit of a problem, with several things connected to it.  Beside the
pedal linkage and the carb itself, you have a pretty heavy duty rod to your
transmission.  And maybe cruise control?  If it isn't obvious, you might take
most of it off, carbs can get stuck if there is a lot of wear on the throttle shaft
bearings.  If not that, I would suspect a problem with the trans rod, happened
to me.  It all gets a lot simpler with TH400 equipped cars (no rod), and esp if
you don't have cruise (like me).  Bruce Roe

MY 59

determine is it is the linkage or the carb itself.
disconnect the throttle linkage at the carb and try them independently :)
David Bone :)

1959 Cadillac Sedan Deville
1967 (aussie) ZA ford Fairlane

Cadillac Nut

I lubricated the linkage thoroughly to make sure it was completely free.  Then I flipped the spring around so it goes from the carb to the dashpot on the firewall, that fixed it, now it works like it should.    There is probably something wrong with dashpot as I don't think the spring ever went like this originally.   

Jon S

Return spring should go from carburetor linkage to hole in oil filter bracket (foot).
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Cadillac Nut

Yea, that is where I had it before but gas pedal wouldn't return. 

Jon S

Measure the length of the TV rod from the outside nut to the end of the threaded shaft so you can reinstall it in the same spot then remove the TV rod and see if that is the culprit preventing the gas pedal from returning.
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

59-in-pieces

Garrett,
There should be - but often missing - a pieces of sheet metal which covers and protects the linkage at the trans - see pic.
If your car has one, can you tell if it has been damaged - bent - which may also cause drag/binding on the linkage through to the gas pedal.
But, because most cars are missing this shield, the drag/binding is likely closer to the carb and firewall dash pot assembly.
I would suggest removing both linkages to the carb - accelerator and TVP rods.
Place the accelerator return spring on to its proper place - the oil filter bracket.
Operate the carb as it would normally, if the pedal were pushed.
If the spring returns the throttle to normal without drag/binding, the drag/binding is further back toward the firewall - translated by one or the other or both rods.
Connect only the TVP rod and repeat throttle motion.
If the spring fails to return the throttle - that is the culprit.
Otherwise, remove the TVP rod from the carb - reattach only the accelerator rod - actuate the throttle and if drag/binding - that is the culprit, likely within the dash pot assembly or down to the pedal arm which comes through the floor pan.
This should help identify the location of the problem. so you can focus on correcting it.
Have fun.
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Cadillac Nut

Steve,
Just saw your reply now.  Thanks for the info.  My cover shield is present and in good condition.  The gas pedal does not return nor does the car run property with the spring in the correct position.   Spring reversed and attched to dash pot, car runs ok.  However, with spring detached, there doesn't not seem to be any biding, I feel no binding and it linkage has been lubricated.  I think I have a problem in the dash pot.  I know those are trouble prone,  is there a way to fix them?   Also my TV rod must be out of adjustment as it is not kicking down when it should.

Thanks
Garrett

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I am not familiar with the 1959, but when I had my 1957 convertible, I had the same problem. The leather in the large vacuum cylinder  on the firewall got dry and I took the inspection (?) screw out and squirted neatsfoot oil around the inside of the cylinder. That solved the problem. (This is one of those weird "cures" that one tries when all else has failed. ) Good luck. BW.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Jon S

Quote from: Barry M Wheeler #2189 on April 04, 2016, 08:51:05 AM
I am not familiar with the 1959, but when I had my 1957 convertible, I had the same problem. The leather in the large vacuum cylinder  on the firewall got dry and I took the inspection (?) screw out and squirted neatsfoot oil around the inside of the cylinder. That solved the problem. (This is one of those weird "cures" that one tries when all else has failed. ) Good luck. BW.

Barry -

I think you are referring to the brake system/pedal.
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Yes I was, and I apologize for the misinformation and mis-direction. I was getting ready to go to the "Y" to exercise and that always gets me a little discombobulated. Steve sent me a PM and I hope he will see the reply here.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

59-in-pieces

Barry,
No worries.
The PM was just me trying to be a kinder gentler me - politically correct and not calling out anybody in public.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Cadillac Nut

Well I wish the answer was that simple  :D

59-in-pieces

Garrett,
OK, the mystery is really tweaking my interest now.
Please post some pics of your carb., linkage side - I assumed it was a 4 barrel and not tri-power - and linkage as well as the dash pot arrangement.
Make sure to get some close up pics too.
I have never heard of a dash pot being rebuilt, they are available, and cheap.
The diaphragm is a sealed metal assembly, as I recall.
Have you tried to put vacuum to it, to see if the piston moves.
You can adjust the screw to completely remove it from reacting to the linkage - just to see what happens.
There is a pivot point where the pedal linkage translates to the accelerator linkage which may have a burr, where even oiling will not free it up.
drill out the 2 holes through which the pivot pin passes to make it pivot more freely.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

59-in-pieces

Garrett,
Jeff mentioned the gas pedal and possible build up behind and below the pedal.
Here is a pic of what a pedal looks like where it mounts to the floor.
Note there is a pivot point through the mounting bracket for the pedal.
That pivot point could get crusty and not move as smoothly or complete range of motion as it was designed to do.Clean it up of crud and maybe calcium from a leak to the floor.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

59-in-pieces

Garrett,
Here are the pics that I should have posted with 2 posts back.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher