News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

66 - fatter front sway bar

Started by scotth3886, May 24, 2022, 11:22:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotth3886

Are there any sources for a thicker front sway bar for a 66?  I increased rear roll stiffness last year when I bought a little stiffer rear springs and went to KYBs.  That increased understeer a bit.  I need to increase front roll stiffness a little to get everything back in balance. 

Caddyholic

Find a sway bar from a limo or CC from 61-68. They are thicker.
I got myself a Cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline (AC/DC Down Payment Blues)

1961 Series 62 Convertible Coupe http://bit.ly/1RCYsVZ
1962 Coupe Deville

scotth3886

https://www.jegs.com/i/ADDCO/020/897/10002/-1?gclid=Cj0KCQjwhLKUBhDiARIsAMaTLnGrnvUOYSsDSiVRcWAyGUqy2YB00i32YtAWpOcXAr7rqvjde8ZsuOUaAkLJEALw_wcB

I know Addco at one time had bars for this application.  I search again and found this one from Jegs.  I thought these were long ago out of production.  Has anyone tried one of these?   I'm not trying turn this into an auto-x car, but just trying to firm things up a bit.

scotth3886

Quote from: Caddyholic on May 24, 2022, 11:30:34 AM
Find a sway bar from a limo or CC from 61-68. They are thicker.

I've been looking, but haven't found anything.

bcroe

I have ADDCO bars on every car, they used to be quite
reasonably priced.  I got the impression they were made
up for each order, have not bought any (or another car)
for a long time.  Use poly instead of the rubber pads and
bushings. 

I got the most improvement, adding a rear bar when
there was none before.  KYB gas shocks are good too. 
Bruce Roe

scotth3886

Quote from: bcroe on May 24, 2022, 12:03:21 PM
I have ADDCO bars on every car, they used to be quite
reasonably priced.  I got the impression they were made
up for each order, have not bought any (or another car)
for a long time.  Use poly instead of the rubber pads and
bushings. 

I got the most improvement, adding a rear bar when
there was none before.  KYB gas shocks are good too. 
Bruce Roe

I did 1 5/8" solid front and 1" solid rear plus Billsteins when I did the frame off on my GM brand 'P' 22 years ago and then a higher effort fast ratio steering box a few years ago.  With the big Michelins from Diamondback, I can auto-x the car and have a few times if the course is open enough.  Many auto-x courses are rice boi sized for their Miata's and my wheelbase is just too long not to knock over cones.   I haven't tried the same with the Fleetwood, but there's no reason it also wouldn't be competitive if enough spacing between cones, given that my wheelbase is just about as long as an entire rice boi car. 

As sensitive as this car is to tire pressures, I have to be real careful to not markedly increase ride harshness or increase 'head toss' on pie crust roads.  What I'm trying to do is emulate period correct 60s F41 or FE3 factory option suspensions.

Regarding shipping: I see that this addco bar is not available until June 9th (I presume this year), but I'm happy to see it avaiable again. 

The Tassie Devil(le)

I added a rear sway to my '72 Eldo, and that made a huge difference.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

fishnjim

I suspect their just getting them from Addco.   They make them.   
I got a 1" on the '58.   The stock was bruised.   Make sure the hardware is adequate.   
I had to shop around to get all the right parts.   There's no forcing it, when it's that thick.

scotth3886

Quote from: fishnjim on May 25, 2022, 09:16:41 AM
I suspect their just getting them from Addco.   They make them.   
I got a 1" on the '58.   The stock was bruised.   Make sure the hardware is adequate.   
I had to shop around to get all the right parts.   There's no forcing it, when it's that thick.

"There's no forcing it, when it's that thick."

What she said !!!!

The link clearly says Addco.  That's it these days.  Used to be three, IIRC, manufactures of aftermarket bars.

https://www.jegs.com/i/ADDCO/020/897/10002/-1?gclid=Cj0KCQjwhLKUBhDiARIsAMaTLnGrnvUOYSsDSiVRcWAyGUqy2YB00i32YtAWpOcXAr7rqvjde8ZsuOUaAkLJEALw_wcB

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

I added a rear bar on my 66 and it handled like a F-1. Well a lot better than without.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

scotth3886

Quote from: "Cadillac Kid"  Greg Surfas 15364 on May 25, 2022, 02:27:50 PM
I added a rear bar on my 66 and it handled like a F-1. Well a lot better than without.
Greg Surfas

I increased rear roll stiffness a bit by going to the new Eaton springs and KYBs so I could dispose of the auto leveling.  I noticed an increase in understeer so now I need to add a little roll stiffness to the front.  I have no issue with going with a rear bar if it still needs some help.

49 Caddy

I bought one for my 49 Sedan from JEGS.  Perfect fit & came with new brackets & stabilizer bolts w/rubber grommets.

scotth3886

Did the Addco front sway bar this morning.  IMO, a big help without increasing harshness.  I haven't had a chance yet to really attack so freeway ramps, but feels to be much less understeer and better balance.  So worthwhile cheap improvement.