News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

How To Convert 1958 Cadillac To Air-Conditioning

Started by Cadillac101, August 05, 2022, 11:39:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cadillac101

Im just now researching how to convert my heater only 1958 Cadillac to air-conditioning.

I did this on my 1961 Cadillac and it was super simple however the 1958 seems to require a different dash pad.

Has anyone done this conversion?

Did you use OEM parts or did you install an aftermarket system?  If so what was the vendor and what were the pros and cons of the system you used?

THANKS!!!
Bill
Western Arizona
1958 DeVille 2 Door
1961 Series 6200 convertible

V63

I have done 'both' and the original system is marginal at best. Your dash pad will have 'knock outs' for the dash vents.

I put vintage Aire gen v in one too and redid all the duct work with 2" sewer pipe that helped with velocity. The dash and controls i utilizied original components so looked all original inside the car.
Moreover the vintage air is designed for readily available 134. Parallel flow condensor .  The system works good but I feel it's a little under capacity for the desert climate I reside. If I were to do another I would probably add a rear unit because I like to feel a chill.

Cadillac101

>The system works good but I feel it's a little under capacity for the desert climate I reside.

I live in western Arizona so I really want a system that will actually cool the car.

Can you zap a picture of the Vintage Air system?
Bill
Western Arizona
1958 DeVille 2 Door

V63

None of the vintage Aire  'Unit' Actually shows as I have it under the fender cowl area. The dryer is under fender too. It also has a heater in it.

The OEM system was at horrific (obscene) weight and the new is a mere fraction. Significant weight savings!!!

The original capacity was about 4 lbs and the vintage air is about 1.5 if memory serves. That's a clue as to capacity BTU.

The main issue with original System was pathetic Air discharge. Re working the duct system I greatly increased volume and velocity.

The New compresssor is a Sanden.

The dash looks totally 100% stock OEM.

I am doing a 58 fleetwood  "60's" and am going to put a 2nd unit under the package tray (like Chrysler did).

fishnjim

It's more work, but since your desert clime, better to insulate also. Tint the windows too. 
Spray lizard skin or equivalent under the roof top and insulate the floor and sides similarly with stick on.  I don't like the stick on for the roof, in case it ages and falls down.   Anything you can do to reduce the load will make A/C operate better.  I'd only do this in a retrofit/resto situation when everythings apart.  To take a nice original car and pull it apart and add A/C is not going to add value for the cost.  The original A6 compressors are getting hard to find and keep going.  I'd use a sanden made for whatever refrigerant you're using.  Probably have to adapt the pulley system.  The A/C cars use 3 belts, where non use 2, so you have to find those brackets and pulleys or go after market.  Also the radiator goes in front of the support and there's a 6 blade fan and shroud required for stock.   
I looked at it, but to go original was too much work and marginal performance.  Lots of things to change.
Vintage air is simpler, but not a plug in either but uses modern parts.   One of those things needed to consider before one buys.
I'm not sure if that's the same car I looked at going to auction.  I got my eye on conv. but probably not going to pull the trigger unless it sells cheap.
Lots of Cads going to auction right now, at least 3-4 dozen post war have popped up.  '58s still scarce.

Cadillac101

When I did my 1961 I installed a LS-1 engine and transmission from a 2007 Chevy Tahoe so the compressor part was easy...used a stock rebuilt OEM system for the "in dash" parts.  Then only thing about the 61 system retrofit that I did not like was the OEM blower motor under the dash is very loud and the aftermarket modern style radiator fan is electric and it was also very "hot rod" loud. 

For this one I do not know what direction I need to take...yes insulating and air leaks are always the first upgrades before the installation of the air conditioning system.
Bill
Western Arizona
1958 DeVille 2 Door

Cadillac101

Hi All,

I am just now finding time to work on the Cadillac.

In an attempt to revive this topic I am posting again to see if anyone has upgraded a heater only car to AC. 

I would prefer the dash to look stock with the AC vents on top of the dash so I am wondering how hard it is to get the stock vents removed and then the AC vents installed.  Under the dash I think I can get the flex tubes to run to the driver side to a new system.

Any advice and pictures sure would be appreciated!!!

THANKS!!!
Bill
Western Arizona
1958 DeVille 2 Door

V63

Your original dash pad has 'knock outs' in the steel, all you reallly need are the dash top vents/doors both of those are same 1957 and 1958. Removing the dash dad can be done....but it's a real bugger.

fishnjim

As before, two ways, stock and after market.   Stock takes many parts both engine and interior, which are hard to find these days.
Aftermarket won't be like stock. 
Frankly, I'd find one with air and sell this one.  There's plenty of pictures in the shop manual and items in the part list.