News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Where is the ground located for RR window motor 1976 Cadillac Eldorado?

Started by dennisspeaks, August 07, 2022, 12:03:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dennisspeaks

My passengers side rear window is not working on my 76 Eldorado, all the others work fine.  I switched out the switch and no luck so now I am hoping it's the ground. Rather than tear the car up I thought I would just ask where it's located?

All I get is a faint click coming from the motor area when I press window down.

Also is the a trick to getting the motor out?

Thanks in advance.
CURRENT CLASSIC CARS
1939 Cadillac
1976 Eldorado convertible
1978 Toronado XS
1994 Deville
1989 Fleetwood
1989 Town Car
1982 Mark VI

PAST CARS
1978 Biarritz
1978 Eldorado
1978 Biarritz
1978 Biarritz
1974 Eldorado - RIP
1976 Eldorado Vert
1975 Sedan d'Elegance
1990 Sedan Deville -gave to son
1988 Fleetwood Brougham - gave to daughter
1968 GTO
1965 Olds 442
1975 Caprice Classic Sold

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Dennis,

The Ground for the window motor is the actual body of the motor itself, which is attached to the actuator and this is attached to the door, then the door to the body of the car.

It could be the circuit breaker that you are hearing doing the clicking, but you need to check everything, from the switch, which could be filled with dirt to the brushes within the motor itself.

To get the motor out, you have to remove the rear seat and quarter panels to access the inspection plate, then go from there.   Not that hard a job to get the window and regulator out, but the seat base can be awkward to get out, as there is a bit of pushing rearwards and lifting at the same time to clear the clips at the front of the seat base.

The seat back is a matter of removing the outer bottom seat belt bolts, as they secure the seat back into place.

Then it is the quarter panel upper and lower pieces.   

Take Pictures so you know where everything goes back.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   Possible the sill plate as well if it covers the bottom front of the quarter panel.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TJ Hopland

I would have to look at a 76 diagram to know for sure but with windows you often have to have flow through all the switches.  The switches that are off still have to complete the loop for which ever switch is being activated.   This means you can have a switch that operates the window but depending on where it is in the loop could be preventing the other switch from working.  When its not being operated it may not be completing the path needed for the other switch.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

dennisspeaks

Thanks for your reply Bruce.  That is what I thought because I could only found the wires that run under the seat.  I have had the seat out for a couple of days, the bottom anyways, I only titled the back part because it had wires to that little piece I forget what it's called, yes pretty easy and I always take pictures of everything I do and put the screws in baggies with writing in sharpie on where they go. Looking at a new motor I see it has 3 mounting holes.  Do I need to take the complete assembly out or can the motor be removed by itself?

My 75 Deville has the same setup and I took the switch out of it since I know it works but no luck

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on August 07, 2022, 01:40:00 AMG'day Dennis,

The Ground for the window motor is the actual body of the motor itself, which is attached to the actuator and this is attached to the door, then the door to the body of the car.

It could be the circuit breaker that you are hearing doing the clicking, but you need to check everything, from the switch, which could be filled with dirt to the brushes within the motor itself.

To get the motor out, you have to remove the rear seat and quarter panels to access the inspection plate, then go from there.   Not that hard a job to get the window and regulator out, but the seat base can be awkward to get out, as there is a bit of pushing rearwards and lifting at the same time to clear the clips at the front of the seat base.

The seat back is a matter of removing the outer bottom seat belt bolts, as they secure the seat back into place.

Then it is the quarter panel upper and lower pieces.   

Take Pictures so you know where everything goes back.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   Possible the sill plate as well if it covers the bottom front of the quarter panel.
CURRENT CLASSIC CARS
1939 Cadillac
1976 Eldorado convertible
1978 Toronado XS
1994 Deville
1989 Fleetwood
1989 Town Car
1982 Mark VI

PAST CARS
1978 Biarritz
1978 Eldorado
1978 Biarritz