News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Restoring 1957 Hood Emblem

Started by My57CDV, August 10, 2022, 11:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

My57CDV

Has anyone restored their hood emblem? My 1957 hood emblem has a small section of plastic at the bottom point broken out. See attached pics.
I would greatly appreciate experienced repair directions if that is possible. 
Many Thanks!
Mark

V63

I would buy a new reproduction and Then sell your old one "as-is".

The trick going forward is to avoid water/moisture getting behind the plastic.

Cadillac Jack 82

Its much easier getting a NOS or repro from Ebay or a vendor than it is trying to restore old plastic
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

fishnjim

There's a couple places out there that do this kind of work, but I have no experience or knowledge how good or not, other than they exist.  May want to talk to them.
When I look at restoration, it's usually if the plastic is good and can be buffed out, not missing or cracked/crazed.  Badging is usually the first to go, either through accident or intentional.

Personally, unless yours is a 99 point car and this is the final piece, I'd leave it alone, as is.  More likely to damage, than make it new.  It's in really good shape for it's age.  I don't think anyone would mind if it shows it's age a bit - realistically.  And a botched repair will detract.
You can do cosmetics, spray clear enamel over it to reduce the further deterioration and make it look shinier, etc..  Maybe cut and buff it out with a plastic compound and coat of wax.  Once it's weather checked and cracking, not much other than recast.  I've done reverse painted ones when exterior plastic was good, but these appear to be positive.  You'd need a mold and some other tools to recast.   I was an industrial polymer "expert" so to speak with lots of acrylics, etc. and I wouldn't attempt this.  It's industrial art so to speak.

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

If you try to separate the colored plastic from the
gold metal backing, all of the colored background will
peel off. (Ask me how I know!)

Your best bet is to get a reproduction.  McVey's has
excellent products:
https://mcveys.com/collections/crests-and-emblems

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

My57CDV

Thanks Everyone for all the Replies and advise/suggestions!!

Much Appreciated.

Mark A.

Scott Nellis

If you decide to replace it I may be interested in purchasing this one you have pictured if your price is fair. I have a 1957 Hearse with lots of patina, so this emblem would look just right at this point. The one on it now is okay, but a little too far gone for my liking.
1957 Eureka Hearse
1965 Miller-Meteor Hearse
1968 Miller-Meteor Hearse
1968 Fleetwood Brougham
1970 Superior Hearse