News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Auto glass

Started by Cape Cod Fleetwood, July 19, 2022, 10:57:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cape Cod Fleetwood

The Ark's original 49 year old windshield lasted until 3 years ago.
The 'new' windshield took a rock on the way home Sunday and was damaged.
The word around here is correct replacement glass for antiques is very
thin and brittle. Does anyone know of a vendor selling 'good' replacement
glass?
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

TJ Hopland

The 'word' I got last year was that there was ONE factory somewhere like India that was making a vast majority of classic auto glass and they decided to go a more profitable route and took a contract from someone like Tesla and converted all their production over to that.    I may have the country wrong as well as who their new contract was with.   It was a classic auto glass dealer that said it.  I don't think it was all the glass but was for sure the place that made the less common stuff.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Big Fins

Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

79 Eldorado

Hi Laurie,
How bad is the damage? I was pretty shocked at how well the "Rain-X 600001 Windshield Repair Kit" worked. Could it fool me knowing there was some damage in a specific spot? No, but wow did it work a lot better than expected. I had 2 points of damage which I thought would be particularly difficult and it worked quite well. I'm sure you will want to continue to pursue the search for replacement glass but, depending on the damage, I would try the repair to see if it would save the current temporarily. Curiosity was enough for me to see for myself if it was up-to-the-hype.

The challenge I had was one damage point was a large crater and the second was a seeming very fine crack. The crater is difficult because the final step involves using a razor across the repair and the combination of size and always some curvature in a windshield made it difficult. The fine crack was so fine I thought the liquid would have a difficult time traveling through the entire width of the crack.

I have a car which never had an in-windshield antenna but one which I would like to add an in-windshield. I tried to contact a place which seemed to be able to make custom glass but they never replied. I'm hoping maybe someone will suggest a place which may be as well a lead for me.

Scott

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Big Fins on July 19, 2022, 02:52:05 PMhttps://www.autocityclassic.com//

Doesn't fit 1970 Fleetwood Brougham, has to be blue tint and with an antennae

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: 79 Eldorado on July 19, 2022, 08:11:16 PMHi Laurie,
How bad is the damage? I was pretty shocked at how well the "Rain-X 600001 Windshield Repair Kit" worked. Could it fool me knowing there was some damage in a specific spot? No, but wow did it work a lot better than expected. I had 2 points of damage which I thought would be particularly difficult and it worked quite well. I'm sure you will want to continue to pursue the search for replacement glass but, depending on the damage, I would try the repair to see if it would save the current temporarily. Curiosity was enough for me to see for myself if it was up-to-the-hype.

The challenge I had was one damage point was a large crater and the second was a seeming very fine crack. The crater is difficult because the final step involves using a razor across the repair and the combination of size and always some curvature in a windshield made it difficult. The fine crack was so fine I thought the liquid would have a difficult time traveling through the entire width of the crack.

I have a car which never had an in-windshield antenna but one which I would like to add an in-windshield. I tried to contact a place which seemed to be able to make custom glass but they never replied. I'm hoping maybe someone will suggest a place which may be as well a lead for me.

Scott

Why would you want an antennae? They never worked.
Here is MA auto glass is zero deductible, I could have someone do the pro "glass patch" but Hagerty
sent me a check in 2 hours for a new one. And I can go back with receipts if I need more money, which
I probably will.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Tassie Devil(le)

The inbuilt antenna in my '72 Eldorado works perfectly.

Never had a problem with receiving radio stations when driving both in USA, and here in Australia.

Not many AM stations here, but FM ones are fine.

Bruce. >:D 
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

79 Eldorado

The in-glass in my '71 Chevelle always worked perfectly. I would suspect a bad connection or broken wire if it didn't work. The leads going to the glass can break. The fender mounted antenna in the particular car, not my Eldorado, is known to cause metal distortion of the fender due to the antenna mount and antenna type.

I suggested the repair because you just got your car finished and so I thought that putting the repair off until the end of the season could be an option especially if the glass was difficult to find.

Scott

J. Russo

I recently used Auto Glassics for replacement glass in my 1941 Cadillac. They matched the original glass and will tint the glass to match your other windows. They are in Oregon.

https://autoglassics.com/our-services/

Thanks,
John Russo
CLC Member #32828

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: 79 Eldorado on July 20, 2022, 12:40:21 AMThe in-glass in my '71 Chevelle always worked perfectly. I would suspect a bad connection or broken wire if it didn't work. The leads going to the glass can break. The fender mounted antenna in the particular car, not my Eldorado, is known to cause metal distortion of the fender due to the antenna mount and antenna type.

I suggested the repair because you just got your car finished and so I thought that putting the repair off until the end of the season could be an option especially if the glass was difficult to find.

Scott

And I appreciate that Scott. I'd have new glass shipped directly to the shop, they can whip that in in a couple of hours. And a 'patch' is an option if I can't find the exact windshield.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: J. Russo on July 20, 2022, 07:35:07 AMI recently used Auto Glassics for replacement glass in my 1941 Cadillac. They matched the original glass and will tint the glass to match your other windows. They are in Oregon.

https://autoglassics.com/our-services/

Doesn't have 1970

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

fishnjim

Try www.vintageglass.com.   
They manufacture and supply Ball's Rod & Kustom

Glass is a crazy material, strong but brittle, lacks crystal structure.   The safety glass in the windshield is laminated, so there's 2 sides.  So depends how it was hit whether a "patch" can work.  The UV cure colorless acrylic used, is very thin and low surface tension to flwo in and more or less "glues" the two sides of the crack to prevent further crack creep.  A large stone probably damaged both sides.   If it's not cracked all the way down now, it will be with normal expansion and contraction.  The usual test for replacement.  The 2019 got a stone hit t the top, just before lease was up, and gratefully, it didn't hit the paint but windshield and in a matter of days it was cracking down the middle.  Has little to do with the thickness.

79 Eldorado

Laurie,
This was the place which I never received a reply from. I think I tried them based on a recommendation for this forum though. Maybe you would have better luck:
https://streetrodglass.com/catalog/

Scott

jaxops

Laurie- try this one....just had to buy a new rear flat window: Vintage Glass
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA