News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Sad - 1967 Sedan Deville at junkyard

Started by Mike Shawgo, July 27, 2022, 02:14:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Shawgo

Hi everyone,

I just returned from LKQ Pick Your Park auto yard in Blue Island.  Behind the chain link fence, I noticed a 67 (or 68?) Sedan Deville. I was curious so I went over and looked at it.  It had no wheels, no skirts, however it appeared to be absolutely flawless! From what I could see the interior was also in perfect condition. One of the workers was behind the fence and I asked about it. He said what he had heard was that there was a problem with the car's paperwork, so it couldn't be sold. I asked a manager in the office what they planned to do with it, and he said they would be putting it in the yard for parts. Unbelievable!  I don't know how something like this could happen to such a beautiful car. Didn't appear to have a speck of rust on it!

Mike Shawgo

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

That looks like a VERY nice car. Try to save it!! In Kaliforrnia, the paperwork has to be OK before the car is set. Press the guy to sell it to you. Good luck, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Daryl Chesterman

I don't see how the salvage yard can sell parts off of it unless they have a clear title—something doesn't add up in this situation.  If you are really interested in buying the car, get the license plate number and check with the Department of Licensing to see who is listed as the owner and what the status of the car is.

Daryl Chesterman

J. Skelly

I wonder if it was stolen and recovered?  The whole situation sounds fishy.
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

Snibbor

Wow and dang Mike! You GOTTA get more info on this.

Cadillac Jack 82

Could it possibly be the owner passed with no living relatives to pass it onto?  Happens more often than you'd think with estates.
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

Poncholover

No way to buy a car from LKQ, they buy 'em at auction & if they can turn a buck on the carcass, the parts go flying!
Flattie Caddy

J. Skelly

It's not listed under their online inventory - yet.  I also checked under 1967 Cadillac:

https://www.lkqpickyourpart.com/inventory/blue-island-1582/?search=de+ville
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

Mike Shawgo

I can't buy it, I just think it's a shame.  It is not in the scrapyard yet, it's in the area behind fencing. I don't know what they do with the cars back there. But the manager said that it would probably end up there. Maybe there is no title for it.  It doesn't have license plates.

The Tassie Devil(le)

I just did a couple of searches to see what they had, and in the Prices Department, all the engines were the same price, and each one even had a Wheelbarrow for sale.

Didn't know when Wheelbarrows were any part of a car.   Is it a new accessory that is only available in America?

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Guys,
First, let me tell you , I've saved more cars from junk yards, tow lots, lien sales, storage problems, ETC, than all the members on this board combined!!! And I didn't do it by being shy.
So... my dire prediction in that car is gonna get scrapped!!! Why??? Because no local guy is gonna get off the dime & buy it. How about you Mike??  A $100 under the table to that manager may  go a long way!! Wink!! If someone wants to email me directly at bobscads@comcast.net. please do.
Bob

Cadillac Nut

Bob is 100% right.  I have also done the same thing and saved many cars.  Money talks, these guys are in business to make money.  Scrap on this car is $300 or $400, it's not much. 

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Thanks Garrett,
 Chicagoland is a big area. Somebody has to save it.
Bob

Snibbor

God it was not in ATL I'd be all over it.

CadillacFanBob

Quote from: Mike Shawgo on July 27, 2022, 09:22:24 PMI can't buy it, I just think it's a shame.  It is not in the scrapyard yet, it's in the area behind fencing. I don't know what they do with the cars back there. But the manager said that it would probably end up there. Maybe there is no title for it.  It doesn't have license plates.

Great find Mike, I also go to the same U-Pull-IT in Blue Island and Chicago Heights,  I have not been there in a year because of health issues, but usually go there about 4 times per year, will be going soon to check it out. 10 years ago they had a 1962 Buick Electra, but smashed in the right front area.

Bob
Frankfort, Illinois

Art Director

The dealer plate says Rickenbaugh Cadillac Denver. That dealership is still in operation selling Cadillacs and Volvos, and the only car dealer left downtown. It's definitely a 1967. Somebody save this car! I would if I had room for it.
Tim Coy
CLC Southwestern Regions Vice President
Interim Western Regions Vice President
Art Director, The Self-Starter, International Membership Directory
Life member, Rocky Mountain Region
CLCMRC Benefactor #102

1963 Six-Window Sedan de Ville
1972 Fleetwood Brougham - RIP
1988 Sedan de Ville - RIP
2001 Eldorado ESC - RIP
2003 DeVille DTS - sold

79 Eldorado

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on July 27, 2022, 09:34:56 PMI just did a couple of searches to see what they had, and in the Prices Department, all the engines were the same price, and each one even had a Wheelbarrow for sale.

Didn't know when Wheelbarrows were any part of a car.   Is it a new accessory that is only available in America?

Bruce. >:D
Bruce,
Some of the yards allow you to borrow a wheelbarrow. Some also have sales where it's a set price for all you can carry out by yourself. It's possible that there's a wheelbarrow version of that type of sale as well.

Scott

Michael Petti

That car is worth saving. The Vin number is important. The VIN number can be researched by a police department. If they won't help due to privacy issues, there are people who can do it. It's a matter of cost. Some attorneys can or will get someone they know to do it. Try entering the vin number into car fax or just plain google and see what you get. From the description I'll bet on the death scenario and the heirs had no idea what they had.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Guys,
 Bantering about how the car arrived there is irrelevant!!! The fact is the car IS there. What are we gonna do about it?? If someone gets me the managers phone # & what days he works, I'll call him myself. I need someone to tell me exactly where the VIN is stamped on the frame. Before it's  too late.  Is there a local that's willing to buy the car?? Even if you don't want to keep it, there's money to be made. Mike Shawgo, are to putting out the word on the car???
Bob

wmbuckingham

A friend and I saved a car from that exact yard a few years back.  There was a title but let's just say it wasn't in good order.  We had an in at another yard that helped us.  I won't say it wasn't a pain, but we were able to get it done. 
Bill Buckingham
CLC # 1976