News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Correct paint colors for dash and door panels on a 51 sedan?

Started by Caddy Wizard, April 22, 2015, 05:52:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caddy Wizard

Can anyone tell me if this combination looks correct for a blue 51 sedan with a gray interior?  The thing that has me puzzled is that the dash doesn't match the garnish molding on the door.  It looks like the door molding has been refinished, but not the dash.  In fairness, I am familiar with 49s, not 51s, so I am not saying that I think this is incorrect.  I honestly don't know and welcome whatever information others can provide.
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

936CD69

Style 51-6137, 6169, 6219,19X, 6237, 37X Check color of trim to determine matching paints.
WINDOW AND WINDSHIELD GARNISH MOLDINGS
TRIM COLOR PAINT TO MATCH
Tan Trim Pearl Beige Metallic 524 (Dupont)
Gray Trim Light Gray Metallic 1130 (Dupont)
INSTRUMENT PANEL; DOOR AND QUARTER BELT FINISH PANELS; STEERING COLUMN JACKETS, COVERS,
TRANSMISSION SHIFTER CARRIER AND HOUSING, HORN RING HUB AND SPOKES, VENTILATOR BRACKETS.
Matching Colors
TRIM COLOR (Dupont) PAINT TO MATCH
Tan Trim 1198-G . . Cordovan Tan P.S. 0813D (R & M)
Gray Trim 1197 . . Chelsea Gray P.S. 0140 (R & M)
Instyment panels and front door belt finish panels have an insert transfer to match each color.

From the free GM Heritage Center Vehicle information kit
Craig Brillhart CLC# 26217
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Carmine Red White Top-SOLD!
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Triple Black
CLCMRC Benefactor #302

Bob Schuman

Art,
While I am not expert on the 51 models, my mostly original 51-6137 coupe is my point of reference. I think possibly your whole dash may have been replaced with one from a car with the tan/bronze interior. The door panels and moldings, windshield molding, kick panel, and seats all appear to be of shades of gray, but the upper and lower portions of the dash are all bronze. The area with the radio and clock appears to be painted a solid gray color. which I think has been repainted. My car, which agrees with a picture in my 1951 sales brochure, has this panel in a silver background overlaid with horizontal stripes, each about 0.015 inch wide.

Let's hope others with 51 Cadillacs can post more and maybe better answers on this subject.
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

Caddy Wizard

Bob,

Thanks for the info and for sending the photos to me directly.  Here are your photos, since you are not adept in posting them to the Forum.

So I see that the dash (and I guess the front door molding) panels are supposed to have this striped insert in the middle.  Is that only for special models or did all of the 1951 Cadillacs have it?

Also, from your post I gather that the dash and the door molding are supposed to match and that the bronze looking dash is for a tan interior car and not for a car with a gray interior.

Thanks again.
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)

Dan LeBlanc

I know, she's no beauty queen, but my 53 has not  had any restoration work until being taken off the road in the 1980's.  It was the gentleman's daily driver.  Not pretty to look at, but you can see here that the dash matches the door panels.

Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Caddy Wizard

Hmmm.  I am starting to wonder if maybe the bronze-looking dash is correct for a blue 51 with a gray interior.  Here is a photo of another blue 51 S62 sedan with a bronze looking dash and gray steering column.  Maybe this is right after all...
Art Gardner

936CD69

Style 51-6019X Check color of trim to determine matching paints.
Instrument Panel; Door and Quarter Belt Finish Panels; Windshield Garnish Moldings
TRIM COLOR PAINT TO MATCH
Tan Trim Cordovan Tan P.S. 0813D (R & M)
Gray Trim Chelsea Gray P.S. 0140 (R & M)
Blue Trim Falmouth Blue P.S. 0217 <R & M)
Green Trim Keswick Green P.S. 3397 (R & M)
Instrument panel and front door belt finish panels have an insert transfer to match each color.

The Series 60 has slightly different trim color distribution, as the all the moldings and I/p are Chelsea Gray, where the Series 61 & 62 have Pearl gray for the upper garnish moldings.

FWIW, the Series 60 picture you posted definitely looks gray on my monitor
Craig Brillhart CLC# 26217
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Carmine Red White Top-SOLD!
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Triple Black
CLCMRC Benefactor #302

Caddy Wizard

The title of that last picture I posted says Series 60, but the car in the picture is actually an S62 sedan.

By the way, are the patterned transfers for the center strip available or can the effect be replicated in some manner?  This striped look -- how is that replicated these days?
Art Gardner

Bob Schuman

Art,
Your assumption is correct that my 51 interior metal is all bronze color, except the center panel on the dash and doors, and the car's exterior is dark green. I am not sure if all 51 cars had the fine stripes on the center panel. My 51 sales brochure and my 1959 Master Parts Book show stripes in pictures of the 1951 dash, but not the 1952 dash, and do not specify any series numbers, so I THINK all 51 cars had the striped center panels. That book does not list interior colors before 1955 models.

The photo in your most recent post makes everything look gray except the blue front seat cushion on my monitor. In your earlier post the main dash panel looked bronze color.
Bob
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

Caddy Wizard

The last picture I posted was just one I found on line of a 51 sedan.  The actual car in question is what is shown in my first post in this thread.
Art Gardner