News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Oil pump 64, 429

Started by Hammer150, November 02, 2022, 06:15:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hammer150

Well I just finished replacing the water pump ,timing chain & gears etc. all went back together well, I filled up the oil filter when I installed the front cover . Fired it up to set timing,And the lifters started rattling excessively ,shut it down right away.pulled the oil filter it was dry,So I took off the filter housing and poured oil down the tubes going down to the pump,Filled up the filter,Pulled the distributor ran a drill clockwise to prime the pump gears.When I removed the tool you can see oil coming out of the pump gear shaft.Put it back together fired it up still valve train noise ,Question: should I pack the pump gears with petroleum jelly,Pull the pump cover and check the valve or spend more time priming the pump.Prior to all this the engine ran fine no valve train noise

The Tassie Devil(le)

What I would be doing is to fit an aftermarket cheap capillary Oil Pressure Gauge into the Factory Oil Pressure port, and then wind the Oil Pump Primer by hand till I saw the gauge reading a constant pressure.

Then, reinstall the Distributor, and fire it up, whilst still checking the oil pressure gauge.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TJ Hopland

You could maybe remove the oil pressure sender as sort of a bleed port to maybe help it get primed and get some oil up to the top of the engine.

StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Hammer150

Dave Shepherd

Very important  to prime the pump, this was a common issue with the 429. Pack the gears with Vaseline, fill the oil filter also.  We had to do this many times in the shop, back in the day.

bcroe

I have wheeled another runable car up close, and
used a high pressure hose (6' trans pressure gauge)
to connect together the pressure switch ports of
the 2 engines. Running the 2nd car for a few
seconds, I observe when a quart of oil has been
transferred to the engine to be primed.  Then
spinning that one with the starter (no plugs),
I observe when the quart has been transferred
back.  No need to take apart a pump.  Bruce Roe

dadscad

You can prime the pump by removing the oil filter and then pump oil into the pump outlet to the filter. The threaded stud the filter screws onto is the filter outlet feeding the engines oil galleries. That's how I primed the pump on my 63 after removing the oil pump cover.
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

Dave Shepherd

Correct and easy to get to. :)