News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1970 Cadillac Fuel Pump?

Started by Houston747, November 16, 2022, 11:05:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Houston747

I have a '70 Deville which I was driving yesterday. The car drove great in the morning, but later that day when I drove it again, I had an issue with it. It hadn't been more than 3 minutes since I started the car, and it stopped running in the middle of the road. Tried to start it a couple times, it would not start at all. The engine was cranking, but I couldn't get it to run, it seemed like it was not getting fuel at all. After I got it towed, it suddenly started to run again. I am not really sure what's wrong with it, but I am assuming it's the fuel pump. Any ideas or similar experiences?
A.AlRub

klinebau

To check for fuel, you can add a bit of gas to the fuel bowl in the carb without taking the carb off.  If it fires up right away, then your issue is likely fuel related.  Oftentimes, ignition problems feel like fuel problems.

Is it running on points or electronic ignition?  If points, it could be a bad condenser as any new ones I've used only seem to last a few hundred miles if I am lucky.  In this case, it will usually start to misfire and within a few miles it might die completely.

1970 Cadillac Deville Convertible
Detroit, MI

35-709

Check your fuel filter.  If it is not a fuel problem then check the condenser as Kurt suggested, the coil also can exhibit those symptoms if failing.  Heat makes them break down and when they cool off they work again until they heat up, etc., etc., etc.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Michael Petti

Was this on a hot day? were you in stop and go traffic? the fact that it started up later suggests the possibility of vapor lock. Is the fuel pump original or a Chinese replacement. Those pumps have issues.

TJ Hopland

For troubleshooting you could buy and bring a can of starting fluid with you.  Thats an easy and less messy way than carrying an extra container of gas to figure out if the stall is fuel or spark related.   When it dies shoot some fluid down the carb.   If it pops and runs for a few seconds its fuel related. If not then it more likely spark.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Houston747

Quote from: Michael Petti on November 19, 2022, 06:41:12 AMWas this on a hot day? were you in stop and go traffic? the fact that it started up later suggests the possibility of vapor lock. Is the fuel pump original or a Chinese replacement. Those pumps have issues.

I actually drove it that morning for about 25 minutes. It was pretty cold outside and it was all highway driving, and I have a temperature gauge in my car and it was no where running close to hot. I left it at the detailing shop for 5 hours and when I came to pick it up the engine was cold. Didn't take more than the 2 minutes after starting it until it stopped running. It runs and idles now, but I have not had the time to take it out and drive it to see if it does it again
A.AlRub