News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1954 Oil decal

Started by Nickl, November 20, 2022, 01:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nickl

Wanted to know where to get original decal for the oil filter housing.
The housing is original black please correct me if I'm wrong....   all decals that I can find are clear with black lettering. So black housing and black lettering?  Is that original ore are all the decals that I have found the wrong ones because sounds wired to me that black on black is original....
Thank you
Greetings Form Lower Bavaria Germany
1954 Cadillac Series 62 Coupe

Roger Zimmermann

I had the same issue with my '57 Brougham: the script on the filter housing was white; I never found the proper decal, only the same as you have. Fortunately, the filter housing was still in a decent shape, I let it that way. Now the car is in Germany, it's not my problem anymore!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

bullet bob

Honda Goldwing 1800  "I don't need no stinkin' map, I've still got gas"

Lexi

Hello Nickl. Back in the old Mid-Century Cadillac CLC Chapter, this issue came up. Site Administrator Lou Commisso (who owned an award winning 1956 Cadillac Eldorado Biaritz), did some research on this topic. I do not recall if his results were restricted to just his year of car, or whether it also applied to multiple model years. Anyhow, at least for 1956 the lettering on the canister he determined was originally white, and that it did not look like what the Cadillac parts vendors were selling. The posted link shows the incorrect style lettering and also they noted that it was blue in color, which is also incorrect.

Lou eventually offered some repro decals for sale that he claimed were accurate. I believe he had commissioned their manufacture and were a one time offering. If anyone knows if they are still available please advise! Attached is an image of the one I bought for Lexi and also that of a survivor oil canister insitu that clearly shows the original lettering which is in agreement with what Lou had reported. I also have a spare period canister that has this surviving lettering still intact.

My research shows that the oil canister is said to be the same for 1954 - 1956 Cadillac cars with power steering. 1954 Cadillac cars without PS used a canister bearing a different part number. Not sure what the difference is, but perhaps in the bracketry I would imagine as it would have to mount differently. At this point it would be reasonable to assume that they incorporated the same lettering, but prior to 1956 and Lou's research I cannot guarantee that. Of note is that the CLC Authenticity Manual implies that 1954 - 1956 are the same and that the canister body was originally painted semi-gloss black, which also contained the lettering. I also have noted 2 different styles of canister lids, which I believe the style changed sometime in 1956. As of writing I presume they would use the same style of lettering though. Clay/Lexi

fishnjim

It may not have one.   
If the top is embossed/raised letters, that's probably all there is. 
There maybe a filter number decal for it that goes on the side/top and since AC might be orange letters, same as the air cleaner decals. 
You'd have to consult the authenticity manual or other documented photos for '54.
I've bought GM decals from Dr Decal.   www.drdecal.com 
He doesn't show Cadillac but some of these are the same as they were AC parts used across the brands.(Buick & Olds mostly would be the same)  You have to know what you're looking for to get the correct one(s).
There's a few other suppliers but you'd have to search.  Search by filter number, too. 
Repro'ed things usually come about by need/market, so that's probably a rare year and not much demand.

Lexi

I did consult the Authenticity Manual as reported in my post. It also says that silk screened lettering appeared on the lids of the 1954 - 1956 Cadillac oil filter. There is no mention of raised or different lettering on this component. If such an animal exists and is OEM I would like to see it. The oil filter canister information I quoted came from GMs Master Parts List for Cadillac. They only differentiate between P/S and non P/S for 1954 cars. I suppose it is possible that the standard steering cars had a different lid, though not likely for the reason I gave. If that unit is indeed different I would like to see a photo of it. The Authenticity Manual also does not differentiate between P/S and standard steering cars with respect to their style of oil canister lids and their lettering. I don't recall seeing images of this part in the MPL, unfortunately. Clay/Lexi

jdemerson

Nicki,

You might check Fusick's Automotive Products. I know they have an oil filter decal listed for 1954-57 Cadillac, but it does not appear to be for the circular top.

The decals for my 1952 Cadillac oil filter canister top are white, and they are easy to find.

Good luck!
John Emerson
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

Lexi

According to Lou's research and my own, that decal that John noted is incorrect, unless it is one that saw life for a short period? Clay/Lexi

Lexi

Nickl you may want to research photos of original '54 Caddy engine bays to see what lettering was on your canister lid originally. What got Lou to research this for his '56 was the (then) available replacement decal was incorrect for his car. It had white lettering that was circular that encompassed the entire circumference of the oil canister lid, on the outer edge flange. Lou determined that was incorrect for his year of Caddy, and to that I would have to agree.

Is it possible that while the canister assembly remained the same for your year; was the decal the same for '54 - '56? I don't know. That would be the sort of thing that the MPL does not itemize. As I recall the MPL doesn't even break down the oil filter assembly parts, they just list the entire unit complete, to order for pieces needed. Did GM change the silk screened lettering for '54 and '55 Cadillac? Not sure.

Complicating things is that when Lou investigated other repro decals available at the time of his research, he found other errors. One that I recall him discussing was the style of sticker for the oil filler breather cap. He posted an image of "correct" Cadillac oil cap styles from the 1950s to the early 1960's. There were a few discrepancies when compared to what vendors were selling as "correct" replacements at the time. Perhaps fishnjim's comment on reproduced items catering to that most needed? So you got to do your research and unfortunately weigh such against what suppliers claim are "replacement" parts. Clay/Lexi

Jon S

Quote from: Lexi on November 21, 2022, 09:28:32 AMHello Nickl. Back in the old Mid-Century Cadillac CLC Chapter, this issue came up. Site Administrator Lou Commisso (who owned an award winning 1956 Cadillac Eldorado Biaritz), did some research on this topic. I do not recall if his results were restricted to just his year of car, or whether it also applied to multiple model years. Anyhow, at least for 1956 the lettering on the canister he determined was originally white, and that it did not look like what the Cadillac parts vendors were selling. The posted link shows the incorrect style lettering and also they noted that it was blue in color, which is also incorrect.

Lou eventually offered some repro decals for sale that he claimed were accurate. I believe he had commissioned their manufacture and were a one time offering. If anyone knows if they are still available please advise! Attached is an image of the one I bought for Lexi and also that of a survivor oil canister insitu that clearly shows the original lettering which is in agreement with what Lou had reported. I also have a spare period canister that has this surviving lettering still intact.

My research shows that the oil canister is said to be the same for 1954 - 1956 Cadillac cars with power steering. 1954 Cadillac cars without PS used a canister bearing a different part number. Not sure what the difference is, but perhaps in the bracketry I would imagine as it would have to mount differently. At this point it would be reasonable to assume that they incorporated the same lettering, but prior to 1956 and Lou's research I cannot guarantee that. Of note is that the CLC Authenticity Manual implies that 1954 - 1956 are the same and that the canister body was originally painted semi-gloss black, which also contained the lettering. I also have noted 2 different styles of canister lids, which I believe the style changed sometime in 1956. As of writing I presume they would use the same style of lettering though. Clay/Lexi

Clay/Lexi -

What you are showing above is the 1958 version and I have had letters made up as follows:466E5720-DAA3-4B3B-85BD-94D46644DFCC.jpeg
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Lexi

Quote from: Jon S
Clay/Lexi -

What you are showing above is the 1958 version and I have had letters made up as follows:
attach id=195951]466E5720-DAA3-4B3B-85BD-94D46644DFCC.jpeg[/attach]

Hi Jon. You sure? By saying "58 version" you meant the decal I presume? I don't know what was on the '58, perhaps the same decal was used then as well, but I have little doubt that Lou's research was correct in that it was also used in '56. Also, I have seen a few originals on '56s and stripped them from parts cars myself which had not moved for decades. Not sure for '54 and '55 what lettering used though. Something Nickl will have to follow up on to be sure for his year. It just appears that the canister is the same as per the Shop Manual, just not sure if GM used different lettering. Attached is another pic I believe of a '56 from Lou who had conducted research and a survey on this. Clay/Lexi

Jon S

Clay -

The 1956 and 1958 decals (silk screening) were identical. In 1957 they changed to the peripheral script as presented by Bullet Bob, above.
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Lexi

The way your 1st reply was written, it was not clear, good you clarified. Do you know what was on the '54 (and '55s)? I don't seem to have any good engine bay shots to post for Nickl who is wondering what went on his '54 canister? I am not sure how far back the silk screen style we provided images of, go back. For a while the peripheral script was incorrectly advertised by some vendors as also  being for other years as well, hence Lou's research. Clay/Lexi

P.S. Nice looking engine bay there

Jon S

All the pictures I could find of a 1954 oil canister look like the 1957 peripheral decal. I have attached two pictures.

BTW, all of the reproduction lettering I have seen for the oil filters have a clear mylar attaching the letters together which why I opted for individual letters as you can see within my pictures above.
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Lexi

Jon thanks. If just one of those is correct from a reference car, that should provide Nickl's answer. The link Bullet Bob posted showed the peripheral type in blue, which I can't say I recall ever seeing that color back in the day.  May not have been a correct color. They also identify it as a replacement for '56, which is incorrect unless some early year models used up old stock first. Not sure about '55. I do remember the earlier repro peripherals as being in white, which Nickl still should be able to source if he casts his search net wide. And yes, I like the way yours was made as I never liked the visible mylar in other reproductions.  Well done.  Clay/Lexi

Jon S

Clay -

I totally agree, and I know that silkscreening was in white; never in blue. I can only talk intelligently about the 1958 since my dad bought my car brand new and I know the complete history of the car.
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Lexi

Jon your Cadillac is an invaluable reference car, especially knowing the vehicle's one family ownership. Clay/Lexi Clay/Lexi

fishnjim

The oil filter cap on my '58 has raised letters which were unpainted*.  I think that's consistent with the authenticity listing.  They changed some parts by engine numbers so might be a early vs late production item.  My car was very late.  The smooth cap requiring decals maybe an early item?   I just don't know for sure, in '54s, but don't assume they're all alike.  They buy/made parts by lots and when they were used up they put the latest ones in.
* - I did some white topping, just for looks, not authenticity.  I could care less about some of that non-sense.
The air cleaners have orange letters as noted.

Nickl

Thank you for your replies
At the moment I have these two decals at the car. The obe with the blue lettering on top and the other one at the side of the oil filter housing... the one on the top has blue lettering but the one at the side is black letters so you can't read it and that is strange or wrong .... don't know and that's im wondering about... it's very difficult to find pictures of these decals from factory original engines
pr42681img1.png
s-l400-1.jpg 
1954 Cadillac Series 62 Coupe

Jon S

Quote from: fishnjim on November 22, 2022, 09:54:49 AMThe oil filter cap on my '58 has raised letters which were unpainted*.  I think that's consistent with the authenticity listing.  They changed some parts by engine numbers so might be a early vs late production item.  My car was very late.  The smooth cap requiring decals maybe an early item?   I just don't know for sure, in '54s, but don't assume they're all alike.  They buy/made parts by lots and when they were used up they put the latest ones in.
* - I did some white topping, just for looks, not authenticity.  I could care less about some of that non-sense.
The air cleaners have orange letters as noted.

My 1958 is a late production, and the letters were silk screened at the factory and were almost flush, not raised from the top
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT