News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1954 Oil decal

Started by Nickl, November 20, 2022, 01:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishnjim

I was trying to recall the other decal supplier and finally came to me, just as I settled into bed.
Jim Osborn Reproductions.   I've bought from him, too.
But right now I don't see his website but his products are listed by other vendors.   They probably have what you're looking for.

ps: This is a post for a '54 and not a '58, so any discussion there is tangential and moot.   Most likely I erred and my mind's eye got crossed.  I see my car every day practically and am working on it currently, but one gets used to things and going from memory, up here on the computer, and sometimes that doesn't work for an old fart. 
But it is relevant in some items the manufacture sequence.   Also, may encounter differences when different plants were used for the same model. 

Roger Zimmermann

The oil filter decal with the PF-122 is for the 1957-58 Brougham and not for the regular models. I still have many of those decals I never could use because the canister is black...The script should be white, I never found it.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Nickl

Quote from: fishnjim on November 23, 2022, 12:32:37 AMI was trying to recall the other decal supplier and finally came to me, just as I settled into bed.
Jim Osborn Reproductions.   I've bought from him, too.
But right now I don't see his website but his products are listed by other vendors.   They probably have what you're looking for.

ps: This is a post for a '54 and not a '58, so any discussion there is tangential and moot.   Most likely I erred and my mind's eye got crossed.  I see my car every day practically and am working on it currently, but one gets used to things and going from memory, up here on the computer, and sometimes that doesn't work for an old fart. 
But it is relevant in some items the manufacture sequence.   Also, may encounter differences when different plants were used for the same model. 

Thank you for the information!
But sadly Google didn't find products for my Cadillac from Jim Osborn Reproductions.
Maybe you have a link for me?
1954 Cadillac Series 62 Coupe

Nickl

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on November 23, 2022, 02:37:06 AMThe oil filter decal with the PF-122 is for the 1957-58 Brougham and not for the regular models. I still have many of those decals I never could use because the canister is black...The script should be white, I never found it.
So if the letters are white it is the right decal for the canister ?

Daryl Chesterman

You might look at this information on his Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/sr281/about

It lists different ways to contact him.

Daryl Chesterman

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: Nickl on November 23, 2022, 01:56:50 PMSo if the letters are white it is the right decal for the canister ?
Yes, but what is the car you have? A 57/58 Brougham? A picture from the canister you are referring would maybe help.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Nickl

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on November 24, 2022, 02:34:30 AMYes, but what is the car you have? A 57/58 Brougham? A picture from the canister you are referring would maybe help.
I have a 54 series 62 2 door. Bought the decals because there was written for 54 - 56 Cadillac. My canister is painted gloss black

Roger Zimmermann

Your car has a P-115 filter element. That decal is wrong for your car.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Nickl

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on November 24, 2022, 09:51:16 AMYour car has a P-115 filter element. That decal is wrong for your car.
Thank you for the information ao the large one is wrong on the canister? The blue one is correct?

David King (kz78hy)

Here is a screen shot from the 1955 Rochester dual carb adjusting manual.  It shows a nice black & white photo of the power steering pump & oil filter housing.
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Nickl

Quote from: David King  (kz78hy) on November 24, 2022, 11:10:04 AMHere is a screen shot from the 1955 Rochester dual carb adjusting manual.  It shows a nice black & white photo of the power steering pump.

We are talking about the oil filter canister not the power steering canister

David King (kz78hy)

I have the label for the 57/58 Eldorado Brougham oil filter canister.

http://www.keepemrunningautomotive.com/labels.html
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Roger Zimmermann

Too late David! I don't believe that the new owner from my Brougham will be interested...
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

David King (kz78hy)

Quote from: Nickl on November 24, 2022, 11:41:24 AMWe are talking about the oil filter canister not the power steering canister

I updated the text, but in the image you can see the oil filter canister and the label style used.
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Nickl

Quote from: David King  (kz78hy) on November 24, 2022, 12:15:29 PMI updated the text, but in the image you can see the oil filter canister and the label style used.
It's the same that I have... but should it white ? Mine is blue .... the letters are blue but seems to me that the letters have to be white ?  ???

Lexi

As a recap: My understanding is that they were white. Don't ever recall seeing blue-neither had Jon. If his posted reference shots are correct, your 1954 Series 62 would have the same filter canister as I noted previously, with the peripheral white lettering around the top of the lid's edge. Don't ever recall seeing one with raised lettering, (except for the P/S pump lid which is a different item). I have also seen 2 styles of oil canister lids from that era but I believe they all used the same lettering. We can't always rely on the accuracy of re-pops unfortunately. As good as it is, this oil canister lid issue is another item to be expanded on in the Authenticity Manual should it ever be revised. Clay/Lexi

Nickl

Quote from: Lexi on November 24, 2022, 04:30:30 PMAs a recap: My understanding is that they were white. Don't ever recall seeing blue-neither had Jon. If his posted reference shots are correct, your 1954 Series 62 would have the same filter canister as I noted previously, with the peripheral white lettering around the top of the lid's edge. Don't ever recall seeing one with raised lettering, (except for the P/S pump lid which is a different item). I have also seen 2 styles of oil canister lids from that era but I believe they all used the same lettering. We can't always rely on the accuracy of re-pops unfortunately. As good as it is, this oil canister lid issue is another item to be expanded on in the Authenticity Manual should it ever be revised. Clay/Lexi
Hey Lexi/Clay.... so the round white ones are the period correct ones?
Where can I guy them? Thank you all

Lexi

At the time of writing, it would appear to be so. They used to be readily available, but have not seen them listed for a while.  If I run across them I will advise. Clay/Lexi

Daryl Chesterman

Quoting Niki in post #36 "Where can I guy them?"  Where can you BUY them?—did you check my post about them possibly being available from Jim Osborn Reproductions, as fishnjim suggested?  Check Jim Osborn Reproductions Facebook page for contact information and see if he has it or can make it for a reasonable amount of money.  If he can't supply it, he might suggest someone who does.

https://www.facebook.com/sr281/about

Daryl Chesterman

Jon S

Nikki -

I actually have one in white, which says " USE P-115 AC ELEMENT TYPE S-6 AC OIL FILTER" in white (attached). PM me.

Jon
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT