News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

-51 convertible project

Started by dogbergs, February 13, 2021, 02:57:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dogbergs

Got a visit from Poland yesterday, Artur Osi with friend delivered some fine work.
This is all new to me, usually not puting too much effort giving my cars the shine.
This time it just went that way, couldn't go any other way. The pieces sent were rusty, dented and pitted, it's surreal..

To give you the opposite i post a pic of the usual me, today.
-51 62 convertible, project
-64 Dodge Polara
-70 Volvo 121
-63 Plymouth Max Wedge clone, project
-42 Harley WLA
-33 Ford Pick up, project

dogbergs

The fly wheel did not have threads, so the torus cover must have and that also tells the bell cutting was a waste I guess. Balance weight is on the torus cover, so we will balance that and flywheel tightened together, and assume crank is zero. Engine 1962, Hydra-matic 1951, Bell and torus cover 1955, Fly wheel 1954. That allows a starter for 54-55.

Edit,
And again we need to go back and correct the ideas and thoughts from the past.
Was not enough room for -51 torus parts in -55 torus cover (the one w riveted nuts)

We do some threads in -51 torus cover instead. Theres "almost" not enough material for threads, we'll see about that when torqued.
Earlier bell cutting makes counter nut a posibility if wanted.

The starter issue..

I shamelessly want a mini starter, they (ALL OF THEM) list them as 54-55 starters. I have doubts.
The -54 mount brackets have centered holes, correct. There is no other brackets for -55 but they should not be centered?

-64 Dodge Polara
-70 Volvo 121
-42 Harley WLA

dogbergs

When receiving e-mail from Anderson, Indiana. -with a pic from a previous owner of the original spare and antenna..
Yes, Sweden is a bit far. We will think of it for a while.
-64 Dodge Polara
-70 Volvo 121
-42 Harley WLA

dogbergs

I really like the "let history remain" look planned with the interior. If it's gone or rotten, replace.
If it's just a little pitted, beaten or scratched, it's good enough.

Added

Parts for the top is being painted/sent for rechrome
-64 Dodge Polara
-70 Volvo 121
-42 Harley WLA

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

I'm interested in the chrome work you had done in Poland. Is it good quality and is it cheap compared to Sweden? I'm in England and chrome plating is getting more difficult to get done with all the regulations plus it is very expensive and quality is not always good. I noticed another person from Sweden got their chrome plating in Poland.A road trip to Poland may be worth while!

dogbergs

Well i'm not a notorious rechromer, so my thoughts are based on few occasions.
I have only good things to say about Galvano Osinski, great service and contact.
They have many customers in Sweden so they usually offers pickup and delivery a couple times/year all over Sweden. Quality of work they've been doing for me is spotless, perfect.
About money, it costs a lot to rechrome, but mostly everything costs a bit more in Sweden, for good and for bad. Also I only know of one that does the job here.
-64 Dodge Polara
-70 Volvo 121
-42 Harley WLA

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

Quote from: dogbergs on October 30, 2022, 05:39:14 AMWell i'm not a notorious rechromer, so my thoughts are based on few occasions.
I have only good things to say about Galvano Osinski, great service and contact.
They have many customers in Sweden so they usually offers pickup and delivery a couple times/year all over Sweden. Quality of work they've been doing for me is spotless, perfect.
About money, it costs a lot to rechrome, but mostly everything costs a bit more in Sweden, for good and for bad. Also I only know of one that does the job here.
Thanks I will look them up. It is a bit more difficult for me in the UK now we have left the EU, but I could fill up my modern car with the bits and take the ferry then drive there I suppose.

dogbergs

Started some engine assembly and realized I had 2!! oil pump repair kits for 331 but none for the 390. The only difference is axle lenght. About 1 1/4" too long.
-64 Dodge Polara
-70 Volvo 121
-42 Harley WLA

dogbergs

On with the engine assembly, and yes, the old broken dip stick tube is replaced.

Added

Well people, did the bottom twice..
Found out I used the wrong rear main seal.
I dont want to talk more about that.
I wonder if it will fit under the hood.

Starting to have a list of people helping out.
Heads done by Per Karlstedt, a friend with his own head shop.
-64 Dodge Polara
-70 Volvo 121
-42 Harley WLA

DrDre

Hello,

can you say how much you spend for the rechroming?
1951 Convertible
1958 Coupe 62
1958 60S
1960 Mercury Moterey Conv.
1956 Studebaker Golden Hawk

dogbergs

Hi Andreas,

I wouldn't feel comfortable speaking 2 years old numbers in public regarding another mans work.
Send Artur Osi e-mail with some pics and you will at least get a between thumb and point finger. artur@galvano.pl

/ Johan
-64 Dodge Polara
-70 Volvo 121
-42 Harley WLA

dogbergs

Top is down radically speaking, and the grille/front bumper that I for the last 5 years thought of as perfect drivers condition, still is but things gotten out of hand.
-64 Dodge Polara
-70 Volvo 121
-42 Harley WLA

dogbergs

As mentioned earlier most top parts that once have had some chrome are sent to get some new.
Front bow had some pitting, it looked to come only from outside so the damage felt "visible". My long time friend and co-worker Stefan suggested bronze soldering instead of start fabricating very dificult pieces.
Worked very fine with good result. Front bow had some epoxi primer before top coat, everything else direct to metal urethane coat. Misc parts getting some paint.
Yes, Stefan is the one with the Harley chopper and -34 roof chop you've maybe seen in other pics.
-64 Dodge Polara
-70 Volvo 121
-42 Harley WLA

dogbergs

I had a new repro water pump for 331 which I thought also will fit the 390- No. Would have required some spacing and that felt not too good. Found myself a rebuild kit from TA motor, Sweden for the 390 water pump, and did the work. Sorry for the lack of photos, was laying around for quite a while and then one day it just happened without any thoughts of showing. And yes I got myself a more suitable shop press for everyday work. The big press used for piston pins earlier post always has a special tool for other common production. About the rebuild kit, you had to resurface the core for new sealing, and turn down the impeller to match measure. Kit was bearing w axle, seal and impeller.
-64 Dodge Polara
-70 Volvo 121
-42 Harley WLA

dogbergs

At least trying to make them look stock-ish.

Without having payed much (none) attention to it, long ago ordered the same year motor mounts as motor.
If i've been looking at pictures and giving it some thoughts would have ordered for vehicle year.
Still would not fit..

Got a pic of messurement (80mm) and style for the -51 mounts. Thanks to TA motor!
Comparing 331/390 crank to upper mount hole and crank to pan bottom gives pretty the same
but wider internal mount messure on 390 mount.

For a while thinking maybe 2 holes enough, but imaginary felt the hinge/torque effect and changed my mind.

Leaving hole for cushion until later.

-64 Dodge Polara
-70 Volvo 121
-42 Harley WLA

dogbergs

Finally the -62 390 and factory -51 Hydra-matic is a pair. I'm sure this matter seems odd for some, sometimes I wonder myself. I've come to the conclusion there is a little hot rodder punk rocker in me  that just cant follow all rules. I can tell all real restorers that the factory 331 is around, rebuilt and will follow the vehicle. I got told there were some issues, not just bolt on as for the Chevy guys, and that triggered more than frightened. Now when the pieces are together I can read the 4 year old e-mails from Gene Berck, (Transmissions by Gene) and see that he covered it all when telling I couldn't do it. I did not do exactly as he said I couldn't, but almost. Thanks Gene, you are inspiring and you know what you are talking about. Warbird1 from the HAMB has also been helpful giving me good information. If I'd start this all over again probably should use complete -55 Hydra instead but that option is still there later on, the one I got for parts only misses the govenor and sure can be rebuilt. There is still some misleading information in post 61, beware!

-64 Dodge Polara
-70 Volvo 121
-42 Harley WLA

The Tassie Devil(le)

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

dogbergs

Away from home for work, having some quality time.
-64 Dodge Polara
-70 Volvo 121
-42 Harley WLA

dogbergs

And now with engine mounts in place.
-64 Dodge Polara
-70 Volvo 121
-42 Harley WLA

dogbergs

Not much happening in the shop, but I can see some weeks with time to spend in quite near future.
Got some Chrome pieces back, all very good except one unfortunate shipping accident with some lower grill piece.. Bummer but we'll get it done again. Front seat adjuster mechanism sent for blasting and a random pic the other day.
-64 Dodge Polara
-70 Volvo 121
-42 Harley WLA