News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1934 Cadillac 355D Sedan Radiator Grille Re-Manufacture

Started by David Matousek, September 27, 2022, 11:59:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Matousek

I'm an independent fabrication engineer and CNC machinist doing work at a high-quality pre-WWII classic car restoration shop Castle Rock, Colorado. My role is to repair, engineer and re-manufacture parts that are either unavailable, excessively expensive to purchase or available but often in worse condition than the part we're trying to replace.

One of my current projects, which I thought this forum might be interested in, is the re-manufacturing of the upper and lower radiator grille sections for a 1934 Cadillac 355D V8 Series 10 4-Door Sedan. Besides being heavily rusted and corroded the grille took a catastrophic blow to the lower curved grille section breaking the original single casted pot metal frame into several pieces. If it wasn't for the curved spars, holding those broken pieces together, I would have had far less of the original casting to work with to re-engineer it. The original grille was primarily fabricated from sheet metal stampings, chromed then requiring a fair amount of labor to complete the assembly. Disassembly of the upper vertical grille is very difficult and even if I did disassemble it a quote from our chrome plater would have been $50 per spar (grille has 56 straight upper and 46 lower curved spars), due to the heavy rust and corrosion. So instead of going the chrome plating route I'm fabricating and welding, where necessary, the pieces for the entire grille using polished 303/304 stainless steel. I fabricated a fixture to hold what was still present from the original grille as well as adding features to the fixture to support where there were missing pieces.

For reference I've attached a few photos of where I started and the progress I've made so far. I plan to update this post periodically as I progress to a completed grille assembly. Please post a reply if you have any questions or comments.

I do have one question for the forum. I've seen a number of photos of 1934 Cadillac 355D models and have seen grilles that have the lower individual chromed curved spar assembly, like the one I'm fabricating, and others that have a formed curved sheet metal panel in its place, painted the body color. Were both types available in 1934 or is the sheet metal panel the results of a damaged unsalvageable lower grille assembly fabricated during a restoration? It's easy to see why this assembly didn't survive long, as it hangs lower than the bumper putting it in harm's way of high curbs or parking stop blocks.

David Matousek

Attaching photos

35-709

Wow!  I have a '35, same grille, fortunately my grille is in good shape.  Do not think I would ever want to attempt its disassembly and reconstruction.  Beautiful work.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

David Matousek

Hi E. Newcombe... has been awhile but a year ago you replied to a post of mine for re-manufacturing a radiator grille for a 1934 Cadillac. Well, the progress has been very slow but with other machining projects I'm assigned I don't get all that much time on it. For your reference and curiosity, I've attached a few photos of my progress.

You mentioned you had a 1935 Cadillac with an identical grille. I was wondering if yours has a removable access door in the upper right-hand portion of the grille, which I assume was for adjusting the operation of the radiator louvers? The one I'm re-manufacturing has a small removable door that is secured with 2 small visible sheet metal screws. The door lacks design and engineering that I would expect from a factory feature so I was thinking this was a modification at some point in the car's history. For your reference I've attached a few photos.

Would appreciate any input you have of this as there is a fair amount of design and machining to make this access door function without having exposed screw heads. If this is an original factory feature, with exposed sheet metal screw heads, then I would plan to replicate this as an OM feature, even if I wouldn't like how it looks.

Roger Zimmermann

1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

35-709

Hi David, my car is a resto-mod.  I do not have that door, and I do not think (as you suspect) it was factory.  I have seen a few stock '34/'35s and do not remember seeing one on any of them.  There are some other, more knowledgeable, members familiar with those years that visit here that can maybe give a more definitive answer to your question.  Best of luck on that restoration, your work is beautiful.
Geoff N.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Cadillac would NEVER use a trap door. Be careful what you copy.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

David Matousek

Quote from: 35-709 on September 22, 2023, 08:08:37 PMHi David, my car is a resto-mod.  I do not have that door, and I do not think (as you suspect) it was factory.  I have seen a few stock '34/'35s and do not remember seeing one on any of them.  There are some other, more knowledgeable, members familiar with those years that visit here that can maybe give a more definitive answer to your question.  Best of luck on that restoration, your work is beautiful.
Geoff N.

Hi Geoff... thank you for your reply and providing what knowledge and past history you have on this grille access door. Hopefully I'll hear from other members on this subject and why someone would have made this modification, if this wasn't a factory feature. From what I can see, it appears there would be no other way to adjust the operation of the radiator louvers without this access door.

David Matousek

jeff domer

There should not be an access door on the grill. To repair, replace, adjust the thermostat or shutter is to remove the grill shell. The 34 grills have the curved spars on the bottom. 35 grill has the smooth lower panel.  I have seen a few smooth panels on 34s but I suspect they may be replaced or possible mid year production change. I've owned my 35 v12 for 50 years. Bought it in high school. It's been a long time ago I took my grill apart to buff the vertical strips and rechrome the the horizontal bars. A lot of pieces to work with. Good luck with your project.
Jeff Domer