News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1941 Colors for Cadillac

Started by J. Russo, December 02, 2022, 09:38:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J. Russo

Hello all,

I have my Series 63 at a point where I can address the body and paint.

I have the DuPont bulletin that lists the 1941 colors, but the samples are all faded.

I posted a photo of my Cadillac that I believe is Monica Blue. The body plate code says the original color was black.

If it's not too much trouble I would appreciate it very much if folks would post a photo of their Cadillac in this thread so I can decide to either change my color or stay with what I have.

I'd also like to know who might carry the original colors.

Thank you in advance.
Thanks,
John Russo
CLC Member #32828

Bryan J Moran

John
I love your color.  I am a fan of the darker blues and "Hunter" Green. 
CLC 35000 in number only

V63

I would go with what your preference would be and not get too distracted with being authentic. Please yourself.

The original formulas were in lacquer so the color would need to be custom matched today. The colors for the era were very subdued, bland... and I do not know that the color chips would be as faded as you suspect.

Kevin M. Parkinson

They do look good in black.
1925 V-63B Custom Suburban
1941 Series 6719
1956 Fleetwood 75 Imperial Sedan
1967 Sedan deVille
1968 Sedan deVille
1972 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1972 S&S Cadillac Victoria Hearse Senior #779
1980 Fleetwood Limousine
1996 Sedan deVille
2006 DTS 1SD
2018 CT6 3.0TT Platinum
2018 Escalade ESV

2danreed

Reach out to the AACA Library and Research Center (google it for the website) or call - 717-534-2082. They have a collection of original dealership color and fabric books. If the material, such as exterior color samples, are not digitized I believe they can scan the material for you...assuming you're not located near Hershey, PA. and simply drive over and look through the collection yourself.
Dan Reed

Jim Miller

CBB90F7A-573B-4497-9F28-28A0F2C6DA1E.png
Gunmetal gray. But I really like your blue. 
Jim Miller

1941 6219
1949 6237X
1970 CDV
2021 XT6
Past:
1991 SDV
1999 DeElegence
2006 DTS
2013 XTS
2016 SRX

jagbuxx #12944

I like the blue but mine is black...
Frank Burns #12944
76 Coupe d'Elegance EFI Galloway Green Firemist
70 deVille Convert San Mateo Red
61 Coupe Deville Bristol Blue
41 Series 61 Deluxe Coupe 6127D Black
08 STS 3.6 1SC  Thunder Gray
16 GTI Gray
03 T-Bird Black
16 Grand Cherokee Summit, Granite
19 Tiffin Phaeton 40AH
07 Corvette Blue
20 MB S450 White

"Whatever the occasion, there
is no better way to arrive than in a Cadillac.

Jeff Hansen

Attached is a photo of my recently painted 60S.  The car was black when I became its custodian, but I opted to change back to the original Cavern Green.  I did this for two reasons:

• I've never had a green car before
  • You almost always see this model in maroon or black - and I wanted something different

I got the paint code from Brad Ipsen, who, I believe, got it from Terry Wenger who matched it from an old lacquer sample, so its close, but my not be exact.  No matter, I like it!

I have attached two photos - one of the partially assembled car indoors and one of the doors, freshly buffed, sitting in filtered sunlight.  Depending on the light, the color will appear green, black, or somewhere in between.

Jeff

Hansen4160SWithEngineInstalled.jpg
 Hansen4160SDoorsFreshlyBuffed.jpg
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

Bob Schuman

I have seen several Monica Blue 1941 Cadillacs, one 67 Series that was claimed to have original paint, and the colors were just like the photo you posted of your car. My first 41 was painted Monaco Blue, a 1963 Chevrolet color before I got it, and it looked slightly lighter than Monica, but drew many comments on the color. I'm sure you are aware that color photos may or may not look the same as the car does "in person".
If your present color is what you want for a repaint, and modern base coat/clear coat is acceptable, your finish can be scanned by a body shop or auto paint store, and paint mixed to match it.
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Jeff is restoring "my" car, so I like what he's doing to it. I do have a near mint paint chip chart that I could let you borrow if you wish. I also have a few "names" of the special order colors that (no one) seems to have ever seen since the fall of 1942. Carl Steig gave them to me over the phone. It seems that you could paint your 1941 just about any color you wished except white. (They would do this under duress.)

As a side note, while I still had Jeff's car in my garage, I was astounded to find no evidence of Cavern Green paint. Including under the door caps. They had taken those off to paint the car as well as the outside parts.

(I had planned to paint the car a 1933 Cadillac Brown with a tan top.) Have fun choosing.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville