News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

The correct gauges

Started by Claudio, December 03, 2022, 10:38:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claudio

Hello 👋🏼 all I'm new to the Cadillac family but not new to cars... so I know all the colorful words..... lol 😝
Ok my newest venture is the gauge cluster....mine is not a 1959 but a 1960 oh my car is a
1959 Fleetwood.... and I believe that the'60 is a different setup so I'm not exactly sure how it is working....well a couple of things light up when key is on.. Oh and have not driven it yet..because it doesn't run as promised.... Anyway..
Previous owner changed the interior and the cluster also..... so I have '60 interior and gauges... so I'm still not sure what options I have or had.. because of this.. I learned all this because I am new to Cadillac and have been reading about them....oh and he told me.... So I got a good used one... hopefully it is good.... So how do I swap them and what can I replace on the " new " one to make it better...? I've read a few posts about this but they are all slightly different and I have to go back and forth...
New circuit board
New bulbs ( LED )
Clean everything...
What else...?
Thank you

Claudio

Jw4

Okay, what you have on your illustration, appears to be what Google image search shows for 1960 Series 62 cluster. 1959 looks a bit different.
Other than that, I am a bit confused. What are you trying to do? As we've discussed in another thread, did you already go over the main systems to make sure that everything is functioning well to operate the car on public roads?
For the cluster, just make sure that the gauges are working, so you know you are not overheating, have gas, and not going 40 miles over the posted limit. The illumination bulbs are probably accessible from the back. That's about everything you need for now  ;)
You can worry about getting the "correct" parts later on, when the car is moving on its own.
Ivan Beliaev

Michael Petti

A difference between the 59 and 60 cluster is the turn signal indicators. The 59 has them in the cluster in the dash. The 60 has them on the front fenders, not inside.

Claudio

Quote from: Jw4 on December 04, 2022, 10:40:46 AMOkay, what you have on your illustration, appears to be what Google image search shows for 1960 Series 62 cluster. 1959 looks a bit different.
Other than that, I am a bit confused. What are you trying to do? As we've discussed in another thread, did you already go over the main systems to make sure that everything is functioning well to operate the car on public roads?
For the cluster, just make sure that the gauges are working, so you know you are not overheating, have gas, and not going 40 miles over the posted limit. The illumination bulbs are probably accessible from the back. That's about everything you need for now  ;)
You can worry about getting the "correct" parts later on, when the car is moving on its own.
I'm in the middle of going through the whole entire car. My main concern is the gauge cluster I have a 1959 Fleetwood with a cluster from a 1960 so I want a 1959 cluster that is where my question comes from I would like to put the correct cluster back in the car while I have. I ordered one while I have it in my hand. What should I do to it to fix everything so I don't have to take the dash apart three times I'm going through all the systems as we speak and it hasn't been fun but she'll be on the road soon

Claudio

Quote from: Michael Petti on December 04, 2022, 12:12:55 PMA difference between the 59 and 60 cluster is the turn signal indicators. The 59 has them in the cluster in the dash. The 60 has them on the front fenders, not inside.

OK now you have  me really confused. My car is a 1959 Cadillac Fleetwood currently it has a 1960 cluster without turn signals in it and it has turn signals on the top of the fenders. I am trying to put a 1959 cluster back in and would like to know what to do to the  new used cluster I'm getting before I install it I don't want the 60 cluster according to your comment does that mean 59 does not have turn signal indicators on top of the fenders on either side of the hood...?

V63

1960 they moved the turn indicators to the fender tops.

1959 has them in the cluster.

Jw4

I think now everyone is confused. It sounds like the car is either not a 1959, or who ever replaced the interior with the one from a 1960 model, also replaced the fenders, and who knows what else.  ;D

For the replacement cluster, I would check/replace the bulbs, clean everything up well, maybe re-lubricate the odometer, etc., and make sure that all of the gauges work before you put it in. It's 1959, so there should not be anything fancy in there, everything is plain and simple. There are also new replacement faces available for these, but I would keep it all original unless completely destroyed.
Ivan Beliaev

Clewisiii

I once tried buying some 61 parts from a guy selling from a 61. He showed me a picture of the trim plate. However some of the front trim pieces he sent were wrong. They were from 62. Some point in this cars life it was in an accident and the front end was replaced with 62. Frankencar.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Claudio

Quote from: V63 on December 04, 2022, 11:54:08 PM1960 they moved the turn indicators to the fender tops.

1959 has them in the cluster.

Ok I know that I have a 1959 Fleetwood.....

but the interior is from a 1960 Cadillac so is the dash pad and gauge cluster....
Can the 1960 fender top lights be added to a 1959 fender...??
Is there a difference in 1959 and 1960 fenders...??

Claudio

Quote from: Jw4 on December 05, 2022, 12:25:34 AMI think now everyone is confused. It sounds like the car is either not a 1959, or who ever replaced the interior with the one from a 1960 model, also replaced the fenders, and who knows what else.  ;D

For the replacement cluster, I would check/replace the bulbs, clean everything up well, maybe re-lubricate the odometer, etc., and make sure that all of the gauges work before you put it in. It's 1959, so there should not be anything fancy in there, everything is plain and simple. There are also new replacement faces available for these, but I would keep it all original unless completely destroyed.

It is a 1959 Fleetwood
But it has the interior of a 1960 including the dash pad and gauges and now I guess the front fender top lights......? Is there a difference between 1959 and 1960 front fenders....??
For the 59 cluster I'm getting a new circuit board....and replacing all the bulbs with LEDs to make it brighter....plus I will clean everything up.....

Jw4

Quote from: Claudio on December 05, 2022, 09:40:18 AMFor the 59 cluster I'm getting a new circuit board
What's wrong with the old one? You can usually fix cracked traces, etc., with a soldering gun.
With the LEDs - probably a good idea, just make sure that they fit the overall brightness/color scheme of the car and don't look out of place.
Ivan Beliaev

Daryl Chesterman

With a 1960 instrument cluster in a 1959 car, the previous owner must not have had any interior or exterior turn signal indicator lights since the 1959 does not have indicator lights on the front fenders.  Is the 1959 cluster the exact same shape and size as the 1959, so that it will fit into the 1960 dash pad?  From your picture it looks like it will, but only you can make that comparison.

I would recommend replacing all of the illuminating bulbs that are behind the dash: gear shift indicator, clock, radio, both cigarette lighters, glove box, etc.  I would also pull out the speedometer core and lubricate it and reinsert it.  Before placing the cluster in the dash pad, place a folded towel or blanket in the dash area where the cluster would be and rest the cluster on that padding.  Plug in the wire harness on each side of the cluster so that you can check out the function of the gauges and cluster lights before installing the cluster in the dashpad and reinstalling the dashpad.  I hope you have someone who can help you
remove and reinstall the dashpad!  I have done it by myself, but it is not easy, and I did remove the steering wheel to make the job easier.  I would recommend that you get the car running before doing anything with the cluster.  This way you can see if the speedometer and odometer work (is the speedometer needle steady), gauges and indicator lights (oil and generator) work—this assures that the wiring up to those items is functional.  You can use an electric drill to test the speedometer in the "new" 1959 cluster that you are getting, to be sure the speedometer needle is steady.

While you have the dash pad out, look at the defroster duct hoses and the air conditioner duct hoses to be sure they are in good condition.  While you are doing your test drive—before you remove the dash pad and instrument cluster—check to be sure all of the heater, defroster, and A/C works properly.  All of the wiring for the climate control, and the actuators and linkages is under the dash pad and readily accessible while the dash pad is removed.  I would recommend replacing ALL of the vacuum hoses under the dash while the dash pad is removed.  This will ensure that none of them are causing a vacuum leak.  All of those hoses are 63 years old and have deteriorated, unless recently replaced.  Caddy Daddy has a color-coded kit available:

https://www.caddydaddy.com/1959-1960-1961-1962-1963-1964-1965-1966-1967-1968-1969-1970-cadillac-vacuum-line-hose-kit-7-colors-8-pieces-reproduction-free-shipping-in-the-usa.html

Good Luck with your new project!

Daryl Chesterman

billmorrow

i concur on the vacuum hoses.. in '87 when i sold my '59 imperial formal after 20+ years the vacuum hoses were NOT in good shape..
Bill Morrow
Admin/owner:
forum.thinkpads.com
thinkpads.com
billmorrow.com

the stable:
'06 SL55 AMG
'59 Cadillac 62 Convertible
'70 ElDorado, 98k miles, all original
'96 Fleetwood Broughm, Red, 37k miles
2 - '95 & 1 '92 Buick Roadmaster Wagons

She was not what you would call refined,
She was not what you would call unrefined,
She was the type of person who kept a parrot.
~~~Mark Twain~~

Claudio

Quote from: Jw4 on December 05, 2022, 12:42:14 PMWhat's wrong with the old one? You can usually fix cracked traces, etc., with a soldering gun.
With the LEDs - probably a good idea, just make sure that they fit the overall brightness/color scheme of the car and don't look out of place.
I'm switching it because it's not a 1959 but a 1960....
I want the correct cluster so I got a good used 59 cluster and I'm going to freshen it up a bit before installing it..... that is why I'm replacing the board and lighting and.....??

Claudio

Quote from: Jw4 on December 05, 2022, 12:25:34 AMI think now everyone is confused. It sounds like the car is either not a 1959, or who ever replaced the interior with the one from a 1960 model, also replaced the fenders, and who knows what else.  ;D

It is a 1959 Fleetwood
But has the interior of a 60....
Engine from a 60 as well... oil filter location is proof of that...
Fenders are 59 but have 60 gun sights lights on them... this is a learning experience for me... lol 😝...
There are only three gauges in a 59 cluster...??
Fuel... temp... and speedo... right...??

And a bunch of different lights...??
Gen...( will no longer work as I switched to an alternator that looks like a generator but no post for gen light... ) oil... brake... left and right turn... what else am I missing...??
And yes I would definitely want to keep it original and functioning....
Thanks for your help..... And feel free to tell me more....

Michael Petti

There is a way to make the generator light function. I saw it when I was considering changing to alternator but decided to rebuild generator. Maybe someone on this site knows how to do it.

Claudio

Quote from: Michael Petti on December 06, 2022, 06:38:28 AMThere is a way to make the generator light function. I saw it when I was considering changing to alternator but decided to rebuild generator. Maybe someone on this site knows how to do it.

Yes the alternator in a generator can still run the Gen light but must have the extra post to do so ..... I got one without that post..... so no Gen light for me......
But if there is a way to make it work I'm curious....??
Thanks