News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Crashed '70 on eBay. Fixable? or move on and buy another?

Started by chrisntam, May 22, 2016, 08:12:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisntam

Found this on eBay, by the looks of it, a tree got in the way. 

Kinda sad, otherwise it looks in good shape.

Too bad I'm not rich, retired, know how to weld, have extra room and nothing else to do, I buy and repair it. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-CADILLAC-DEVILLE-PARTS-/152098679196?hash=item2369c9a99c:g:itwAAOSwU1FXQI7d&vxp=mtr

Anything is fixable, but when frames are involved, I generally move on.

Your thoughts?
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Scot Minesinger

I saw this too, better to buy a good one than fix this.  The trans will not last long after repairs more than likely.  I do not have the space or time to mess with this, wish I did though. 

The front of the car uses the frame to anchor the strut rods on front suspension, these obviously were affected and so I would not trust any front suspension parts on this either.  Wondering if this kind of shock broke something in the rive train - if distance between back of engine and rear diff shortened or was shocked, something might have broken.

There are 3k worth of parts retail, so the value of the car is less.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

James Landi

I get the cautionary about the front frame and its importance, but notice that the front fenders are looking "squared up" and judging from the way that massive bumper is bent and the distance between it and the a/c condenser, the rest of the functioning car looks to be ok.   Would be important to yank that hood off and see what, if anything is seriously effected.  Looks like it may be an honest 61K

Barry M Wheeler #2189

This type of repair is way beyond my level of expertise and my comments are purely observations. But if I had the space and means, I'd store this until I could find a '69 or '70 CDV and go from there. I realize that the convertible frame is different, and that there may indeed be stress related damage to the engine components,

BUT there are many pairs of rose colored glasses out there, and it still is kinda' pretty...
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Man that thing is pretty. Wish I could have 30 minutes alone with it to get parts...... with that being said, look af the condition. If they were smart it was reasonably well insured. That means the insurance company thought there was enough damage to total it. Are you willing to take on that much of a project?
Again, wish I could have it for parts tbo.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Bobby B

I'd go in with a 2K offer and see where it goes. Throw it in storage until a parts car with a decent nose comes along. It's a lot of sheet metal damage, but I think once you get it apart it might not be that bad. :-\  Gotta go look at it if you're close by. Bring a Trailer and CASH........
               Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Here's the chance for you mid west & east coast guys to "STEP UP FAST" and save that car. It has the right colors & the right miles. If it's not rusty, it's very fixable. The value of 70 converts is going up. Don't hesitate!!! Keep us informed.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Frankly, I wouldn't touch it but that's me.

In many years of buying & selling automobiles, I know firsthand the perils of getting involved with a wrecked vehicle and that which can be seen is only the surface more often than not.

Sure, anything can be fixed but economic reality cannot be ignored. (At least for most of us.) Might be a different story were we talking a far more valuable car; the margin for error on a '70 DeVille convertible is a whole lot narrower.

Anyone interested should proceed with extreme caution, preferably hire a repair expert to survey the damage - and keep in mind, there's still only so much even he will be able to tell you.

My 2 cents.

**Right off the bat I noticed the R skirt not properly attached. Could be either a red herring or a red flag.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Bobby B

The Door/ Fender gaps don't look too bad at all, but that's in pictures. Again, you have to go see it, tape measure in hand. If you picked it up cheap enough, the worst that could happen is that you part it out and try to recoup your investment. In agreement that most people wouldn't even think about taking this on, but whatever Floats your Boat. Caution and thoroughness is a must......
                                                                                                                                             Bobby
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Scot Minesinger

If I did buy it, would be for parts only.  Likely an insurance adjuster totaled it already though, so not optimistic.  Carfax would indicate a wrecked car if you ever tried to sell it.  I'm sure someone will buy it for parts, just a matter of price, 3k seems a little too high, 1.5 or 2.0k seems more realistic.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

harry s

Scot, You and I were posting at the same time. My post didn't register, but I said basically the same as you regarding title. You would more than likely get a "salvage title" which makes registration almost impossible and certainly chills any resale of the car as a whole if you were able to fix it.     Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

The Tassie Devil(le)

I would buy it if I was closer.   But, I wouldn't buy it sight unseen.

The only cars I have ever purchased sight unseen were a '71 Eldorado Convertible, and a '78 Eldorado.   The '71 yielded tons of invaluable parts that I shipped home, and even got $176.00 for the rusty remains that I left behind.   The '78 yielded its Aluminium wheels, and some other small bits, and I got $570.00 for the salvage.

Anything is fixable.   Just a matter of how earnestly one wants something.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Having had one just like that (a coupe not a convert) where a pole jumped out in front of me on a rainy day, I would say that there is nothing major other than sheet metal and of course radiator/condenser and bendable engine parts.  That said it of course is titled as a "total", but realistically, unless we have the dedicated classic car coverage, any insurance company will declare anything over $1500.00 worth of damage as a "total". My wife had comeone do a minor sideswipe on her 76 that needed a quarter panel.  Damage was $2,800.00.  The insurance co insisted on calling the car a total, gave me $2900.00 and sold me back the car for $95.00.   Go figure.  I of course did the quarter panel, fixed the car and re-titled it from "salvage" to a clear title.
I would guess that another $3000.00 would get this car back on the road assuming the mechanics were in good shape (accident  most probably did not hurt them).  Im sure the seller would take a little less, but even so, you could have a pretty good looking car for 6 grand.  This absolute authenticity stuff is okay, but it is sure nicer just having a Cadillac doing what it was intended to do, "ease on down the road".
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Jeez... you guys are soooo negative. Obviously the car got totaled by an adjuster. Maybe you get a salvage title. Big deal. Impossible to register?? What planet are you on? No such thing as a Carfax on a NON 17 digit vehicle. "Chills" the resale. Let's assume you're going to fix it & enjoy the car for awhile & not already concerned about selling it. We're not talking about a 2016 $100,000 totaled Escalade here. Part it out??? What are you really gonna sell & for how much?? I just read Greg's post. He's right on!!!
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Bobby B

I'm in agreement with the last few posts. Who really cares about a "Salvage " Title for a 1970 Vehicle? Maybe a used car dealer, or some high dollar auction stuff, but getting this car back on the road, all in for 6-7K, would do it for me. That's a Killer Summer cruiser in the correct color combination, for a few months sweat equity. I guarantee it's nothing but a bunch of mangled sheet metal and it looks worse than it actually is. Is this any worse than welding floor pans, quarters, and rockers in a Rusty Vehicle? I'm all for going to check it out if it's close enough. Nothing Ventured, Nothing gained........
                                Bobby
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

James Landi

Entirely agree Bobby--- I think that bumper saved the entire front end.  I noticed that the front fenders look aligned, and with 62K miles, wow!

harry s

Hey Bob, Last I checked Virginia was still on this planet, although some of their political maneuvers may indicate otherwise. In my experience VA will not issue a clean title allowing registration of a salvage vehicle. Several years ago I went with a friend to look at a '68 Cad conv in Philadelphia. The car looked nice but upon driving we noticed a binding noise from under the car. It turned out the universals were severely rusted as was most of the undercarriage. The next thing we noticed was when the seat backs were tilted forward their was a muddy residue in the crevices. When pointed out there was no comment from the seller. We asked to see his title, it turned out to be a flood car that was totaled by the ins co and had a PA salvage title that stated "Not To Be Operated On PA Roadways" (or words to that effect). I'm sure each state has their own procedures for dealing with these matters. Checking the paper work should be part of the due diligence process just like looking the car over when considering a purchase.  By the way, I think this '70 would be worth a look for anyone interested assuming you could get over the hurdles.    Harry

title report on that
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

76eldo

It would be a great find for someone with a decent parts car.  If the windshield was broken that would indicate a frame twist but the door gaps and fender lines are not too bad.

It may require a minor frame pull in the very front, ahead of the suspension but you really wouldn't know for sure until you strip off the front end to see how bad it is.

Should get fixed rather than crushed.  The speaker installation is almost as horrifying as the crash... 8)

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

How much does anyone suppose the car was worth before the crash?

We already know it's got a "resale red" paint job - perhaps it was born that way but taken in conjunction with the wrong body side moldings, speakers hacked in the rear armrests - just how valuable does everyone suppose the car was to begin with?

We're not exactly talking a pristine, low mileage untouched masterpiece before the "incident" and a '70 DVC is not exactly the rarest Cadillac on the planet - as nice of a car that a 1970 DVC is.

Bob is right about Carfax and 17 digit VINs. Here in PA, salvage can be street legal again - albeit with a bit of red tape but nothing too drastic. I would not take the 62,000 mileage reading as gospel either. 

In any case, I cannot see getting the car corrected for much less than $10K assuming no unexpected surprises. Assuming it was a $15K car prior, where are you going if the car was free?

Much smarter to buy the right one for $20K and eliminate the unknown while having a turn key (or at least as close to turn key as an old car is) instead of subjecting oneself to the drudgery of a tiresome and thankless project of resurrecting a $15K car that was no great shakes to begin with.

I have earned my daily bread in the car business for nearly 30 years. During that time, I cannot count the times I have regretted getting involved with a project that seemed a sure thing the day I wrote the check. By the same token, I have NEVER regretted buying the best - while being far & away more profitable.

In my book, getting involved with wrecks is a sucker's bet - far more often than not.

Once again I will repeat what my father once said many years ago - and it is as true then as it is today:

A junkyard Corvette costs more than a new one on the showroom floor.

Stepping off soapbox now.  ;D
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

76eldo

Eric

What you are saying is true but if you take this car, and another $1000 70 parts car you could be into a nice convertible for cheap if you do the work yourself.

It could be a good project for the right person.

The parts needed are not convertible specific so any 1970 will work as a parts car.

Not for me or you but for someone.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv