News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Battery tray and hold down for 1941 (through 47) series 62

Started by Scott Anderson CLC#26068, November 29, 2014, 02:21:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Anderson CLC#26068

( Edit - I added some measurements, corrected a statement about McVey's illustrations and braces on the existing tray, and will post some photos. )

I recently removed my battery for a load test and a long dormant project comes to mind. My car has the stock 6V electrical system and an Optima inside an Antique Auto Battery reproduction vintage Delco case.

My question - would anyone with a series 62 from 1941-1947 with a stock type battery tray and hold down be willing to post a photo?  (I don't speak fluent Cadillac by any means but it looks to me that the MPB lists the same part for tray and hold down, but provides no diagram nor is one in the shop manual).

I ask because the battery tray and hold down in my car just must be wrong. They are both quite longer than the battery case, measuring 13 1/2", where the battery is 12" long.

Some time ago I bought what was said to be a stock 6V tray as the measurements for it line up as I'd expect for a battery of the size I have, as well as the fastener holes. It measures 12" long and the reproduction battery fits into it perfectly. It only has holes for the fasteners at the inside where it would attach to the frame. Also no holes in the base or other way of attaching hold down clamps for the hold down on the top. I'd like to know if what I have has the appropriate original appearance. And what an appropriate hold down would look like. I know McVeys sells them but they don't have a battery tray illustration on their website - having dug up an old printed catalog I see that the replacement one I bought looks similar to the McVey unit though is missing what appears to be horizontal ribbing.

Earlier I'd written that the tray I received in the car has braces going to the bottom of the front fender; I was simply wrong, it just fits along the top of the horizontal brace and without yet removing the existing one I simply misunderstood how it went in.

I just would like to know before I put it all back together again.

Thanks very much
Scott

1941 Cadillac 6267X Convertible Coupe
2014 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Bill Ingler #7799

Hi Scott: These pictures are not very good but they might help you. Down the street from me is a 41 62 sedan which is close to original. The battery box on the 41 matches the box on my 47 but I have no battery hold down cover on my 47 box. I think my box came from All Cads or McVey. The box is 12 x 7.5 with a flat bottom, no braces, as you see in the picture. I believe the battery box is the original box on the 41 as you can see what remains of the dust seal that went around the end of the box on the 41 only. Picture 2 shows the bolts holding the box to the frame. The bolt/hook that holds the battery hold down cover is hooked into the frame. Since your car is a 47, that end of the battery hold down cover connection might be the same. If time permits this week, I have a friend with a very original 47 and I will see if I can get some better pictures for you from his car.   Bill

Scott Anderson CLC#26068

Bill, thank you very much for taking a moment to reply and your photos are helpful. It's pretty clear to me from this that the tray and hold down on my car are just wrong.

My car is a 1941 (not 1947) and there is a receiving hole in the frame for the battery hold down cover bolt on the inner end. I may have missed something but I'm not yet sure what the provision for the hold down cover bolt to fasten at the outer end would be beyond a bolt hooked underneath the battery tray.

From your comment about your car not having a battery hold down and the dust seal, that all of these photos are from the near original 41 62 sedan, yes?

Photos of my setup below.

Edit - in the first photo it should read that the tray is 13 1/2" long. The label in the photo is missing the trailing '2'.  : slapping forehead :

Bill Ingler #7799

Scott: Yes the pictures are from near original 41-62 sedan. I will stop tomorrow and take a picture too see where the outer battery cover hold down hook is attached and to what.   Bill

Scott Anderson CLC#26068

Thank you Bill I appreciate it it. As you can see / may well already know the McVeys hold down kit shows a shorter carriage bolt. I would be curious as to how it connects.

Scott

Steve Passmore

Scott, my replacement battery tray is the same as the picture of the correct size replacement you have except. it has an extra small plate on the top to take the hold down straps. Your appears not to have this?
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Bill Ingler #7799

Hi Scott: Bad picture but it does show that the outer hold down clamp is held by a small lip on the end of the box.  It looks like the small hold down clamp in your picture would be part of the clamp shown in my picture.    Bill

Steve Passmore

This is the top of my replacement tray, its either an "Allcads" or "Mc Veys" don't know as it came with the car and frankly I would make it myself rather than buying one. Not much to it really.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

harry s

Here's a repro battery box I got from Martin Blasinsky (may he RIP) a number of years ago. He had an overseas manufacturor and produced may replacement parts for '41 Cadillacs. Please excuse the dust.     Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

harry s

I can't get the picture to post for some crazy reason. Scott I will PM it to you.      Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Scott Anderson CLC#26068

Bill, Steve, and Harry

Thank you all once again for taking the time to help. It's completely clear to me now that the right thing to do is to proceed with the smaller box. Although the box I have doesn't have the outside lip for the hold down clamp fastener I can make do with a proper hold down and a longer bolt to hook under the outer corner of the box. I'll do a cost / benefit check on powder coat vs rattlecan and go from there.

Again thank you for your efforts they made the difference.

- Scott

Bill Ingler #7799

Scott: Why don`t you consider getting an outside lip welded to your smaller box that way you can use the correct hold down clamp. The weld should not cost much.    Bill

Scott Anderson CLC#26068

Bill, that's a good idea. I'll check into it.

Thanks for the thought!

Scott