News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Request help on correct 77 Deville Delayed Wiper Switch

Started by d307p, December 01, 2014, 12:07:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d307p

My 77 Deville has delayed wipers and the switch went out.  My mechanic who is a member of CLC and very good at working on old Cadillacs obtained a switch through eBay for me.  The switch now only gives me slow and fast with no delay and if I push the button for washer, the wipers do not turn off automatically.  I want to get the correct switch and found a few on eBay but he said the correct one should have a "break" in the circuit board (see photos).  I looked at all the pictures of switches on eBay and none have a break in the copper circuit.

Mechanic also said a lot of wiper switches are mis-represented on eBay.  Does anyone have info for me so I can get the correct switch.  Thanks.  Dave

Dave Presto CLC#27070
Mount Joy, PA
1977 Coupe Deville
1989 Brougham Monarch Firemist
2003 Oldsmobile Bravada
2012 Durango Citadel (Wife's)

cadillactim

Dave

The delay switch should have "DELAY" on the faceplate, and a non-delay should have MIST instead.

Tim
Tim Groves

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: cadillactim on December 01, 2014, 01:21:54 PM
Dave

The delay switch should have "DELAY" on the faceplate, and a non-delay should have MIST instead.

Tim

Actually both switches have MIST position labeled.

d307p,

You simply need the switch that is labeled DELAY across the top of the slide. That's all.

There are a bunch of them on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X1977+cadillac+wiper+switch&_nkw=1977+cadillac+wiper+switch&_sacat=0
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

d307p

Dave Presto CLC#27070
Mount Joy, PA
1977 Coupe Deville
2003 Oldsmobile Bravada

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Dave,

A lot of them are listed as 77-92 but I wouldn't necessarily accept that as fact, despite appearing the same.

I'd double check with someone who has parts interchange books before leaping. You never know if they made some little unseen change during those 15 years...

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

d307p

Thanks.  I emailed one of the eBay sellers for more information.
Dave Presto CLC#27070
Mount Joy, PA
1977 Coupe Deville
2003 Oldsmobile Bravada

bcroe

Quote from: d307p on December 01, 2014, 12:07:21 PM
My 77 Deville has delayed wipers and the switch went out.  My mechanic who is a member of CLC and very good at working on old Cadillacs obtained a switch through eBay for me.  The switch now only gives me slow and fast with no delay and if I push the button for washer, the wipers do not turn off automatically.  I want to get the correct switch and found a few on eBay but he said the correct one should have a "break" in the circuit board (see photos).  I looked at all the pictures of switches on eBay and none have a break in the copper circuit.

Mechanic also said a lot of wiper switches are mis-represented on eBay.  Does anyone have info for me so I can get the correct switch.  Thanks.  Dave   

I can't see around that silver thing, but that might be metal gong around a square
plastic positioning.  If it does go all the way around, breaking the metal on only one
side will not affect the circuit.  Any chance a bad connection in back (a rivet?)  could
be repaired or soldered to fix your original?  Bruce Roe

TMoore - NTCLC

Your mechanic surely knows more than I do, and the the previous responders no doubt have better advice, but I will be honest with you, anytime I have had an issue with either the delay function, or especially the washer function not parking the wipers, it has been a problem with the components in the wiper motor itself.  Most autoparts stores sell refurbs or new motors with all the components, and it is a snap to change it out.  Most of my cars are the 1977 - 1980 vintage where this problem has occurred.

Again, might have nothing to do with your issue, but I have always had success with changing out the complete motor assembly - just throwing it out there in case it helps.

R Schroeder

Part number is 1614848 , with pulse wiper.
This is for the flowing cars only;
77to79 C,D,Z cars
79 E car.
Others have different part numbers.

Roy

Walter Youshock

The switch also has to match up with the circuit board in the wiper motor.   Although they look the same, there were running changes in both the switch and motor.  The signal sent by the switch may not work with the motor.  I went through this with a '90  brougham.

One bad thing about the '77 through '92 wiper switches is the illumination.   A car driven a lot at night, as mine was, could have a melted or warped switch housing.  The light actually melted the housing just enough that the wipers wouldn't shut off.  The light deformed the switch housing so that "off" didn't make contact.   
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

d307p

Quote from: Roy Schroeder on December 02, 2014, 12:14:29 PM
Part number is 1614848 , with pulse wiper.
This is for the flowing cars only;
77to79 C,D,Z cars
79 E car.
Others have different part numbers.

Roy

Roy, thanks for that part number.  I did a search with and found a switch under that part number and sure enough it shows the break in the circuit just like my mechanic said.

Dave Presto CLC#27070
Mount Joy, PA
1977 Coupe Deville
2003 Oldsmobile Bravada

cadillactim

I looked at the wiper switches I have, and I have both a delay and a non-delay switch that have the same break in them. I also have delay switches that don't have the break in them.  So I don't think that is the deciding factor.

But at least you got the switch you need.

Tim
Tim Groves

bcroe

Quote from: d307p
Roy, thanks for that part number.  I did a search with and found a switch under that part number and sure enough it shows the break in the circuit just like my mechanic said.     

That picture shows it all right.  Here I believe there was a change in delay circuits between
1980 and 1981.  The earlier required 2 extra wires over non delay, and the later only one
extra wire.  In some upgrades, I managed to bolt an 81 system into my 80, and an 80
system into my 81.  Bruce Roe

R Schroeder