News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1936 LaSalle Coupe

Started by Vinnay, March 22, 2013, 09:16:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vinnay

Hi Everyone - new to the Cadillac - LaSalle Club!

I took ownership of a 1936 LaSalle Coupe and a 1926 Buick 2 door sedan last week and wanted to post some pictures of the '36. I don't have much information or many pictures to provide yet as it's at my cousin house while I make room in my garage, I have a 52 Pontiac 2 door Chieftain I been working on in the garage. The LaSalle and Buick I waited 45 years to see, they were in a shed behind a neighbor's backyard fence and as kids we use to peek through the fence to try to figure out what the wooden spokes went to. The big surprise was the '36 and that they just both dropped into my lap. Very blessed to have them but will probably sell the Buick in time.

End of month we will buy a battery and see what happens when we try to turn the '36 over. Not sure if it has been started for some time and my cousin mentioned that this engine uses Babbit bearings that he is not familiar with. Is this true and if so, who in the SF Bay Area has the experience to work on this '36? I can do the body work and paint but will need help on the engine and interior.

Please provide me any information to what I have here, thanks!
Vince Flores

1936 LaSalle Coupe
1952 Pontiac Chieftain
1926 Buick Standard
1983 Buick LeSabre

gary griffin

Hopefully the Cadillac will be started without a bearing job. Babbet bearing restoration is a process of spray welding metal onto the surface and then machining it down to the correct specifications. It may be hard to find someone that can still do this old school process.

Starting an engine that has been idle for decades takes a lot of preparation.  At the very least a change of fluids and belts, and removing the spark plugs and inserting a lubricant. I had a 40 year old motorcycle that had been sitting and was frozen. I mixed light oil and Marvel oil and filled the crankcase to the top of the dipstick so the skirts of the pistons were immersed and then filled the upper cylinders to the top of the spark plug holes and let it sit a couple of weeks. It turned ofer when I tried next time.

Don't be in  a hurry. Cleaning and lubrication are the key to having a chance to restart the engine with out damaging it.

Another trick if it has pressure lubrication and the oil pump can be reached (In 346 engines it is through the distributor) is to pressurize the oil system with a drill motor. You should watch the oil pressure gauge and use a variable speed drill to avoid over pressurization.

Spark plugs and points need to be cleaned or replaced and adjusted too of course. Clean the whole engine up and add fresh coolant.

Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Steve Passmore

Judging by the storage conditions of that lovely old girl and the length of time shes been sat there I would defiantly NOT try to start it. Chances are its frozen anyway and whats the point in a car that needs a full restoration?  who knows what damage you could do?  Iv just dismantled a 36 engine in dry storage for 50 years but that didn't save it from being rusted up inside.  Those 34 to 36 La Salles were really something.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

gary griffin

I can not disagree with Steve but I started and drove my 1942 and then decided to rebuild it.
Gary Griffin

Steve Passmore

Look at that shed Gary, was your 42 stored like that? ;D
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

gary griffin

Steve,

My 42 sat in a shed in Utah for about 35 years. If you look at my restoration Blog there are pictures of it showing the condition it was in.

I drove it after I got it running but the previous owner had started it a year earlier I think.

I have had others sitting for many years also.

I decided to rebuild it when  a head bolt was broken while removing an after market oil filter bracket mounted on the front head bolts.

I could probably drove it for a while after that but decided on a rebuild, and ended up with three sleeved cylinders due to cracks found when boring the cylinders out.

The car was a habitat for numerous creatures while it sat and my 8 year old grand daughter said  "I will never ride in this car Papa" but I know she likes my old cars and trucks and she will surely enjoy the Cadillac also after it is re-upholstered.
Gary Griffin

Blade

I am more in agreement with Steve here, I would also be afraid to start up something that has been sitting for so long, not knowing what is working and what is not. My car is much younger (a '59) and when I purchased it it was in running condition but only driven very occasionally. Soon as I got it into my garage I drained the transmission fluid and I can say I have not seen anything like that before. It looked like honey mixed with mud! Should I have driven the car with that, I could have caused more serious problems. After seeing it never fired the car up and now in the process of draining ALL fluids (including break), flushing all systems out and replacing all filters before I start the car again.

Just because it is running you still wouldn't know what damage you might be causing that could be VERY costly to repair later on.

gary griffin

I do not disagree with either alternate method mentioned, but the owner said he was going to put in a battery and then see what happens.

My suggestions were what I consider minimums and more could certainly be done.

Another method it to clean the internals and install lubricants including in the cylinders and put the car in high gear and rock it (If there is air in the tires) back and forth without too much force, or even turning the fan to get it going.

The main thing in the shorter versions is clean, lubricate, and be gentle. I would not use the starter until the engine is free to rotate as damage could occur. The starter has a lot of force and mechanical advantage and if the engine is not free it could damage the engine internals.
Gary Griffin

Vinnay

Thanks guys for the feedback and I'll go slow with this beauty. The car was actually under a shed and we had to tear the roof off the shed because there was so much overgrown ivy. Next week I will get a better look at the car and engine and come up with a game plan which will included a lot of what was posted here before attempting to start. The man who owned it would turn over the Buick but the wife and daughter were not sure on the LaSalle. Heck I waited 45 years, what's another 45 years! ::)
Vince Flores

1936 LaSalle Coupe
1952 Pontiac Chieftain
1926 Buick Standard
1983 Buick LeSabre

C.R. Patton II

Hello Vince

Welcome to the Cadillac & LaSalle Club Forum.

I would like to congratulate you on your acquisition. The dedication, devotion and diligence to obtain the car of your youth is astounding.

What you have in your possession is a 1936 LaSalle 5077 CPE, of which 1175 were originally manufactured with only 5 currently listed in the 2013 CLC International Membership Directory. This is a 248 cu.in slant 8 engine producing 115hp with serial numbers ranging from 2210001-2223004. The Fisher Body has a wheelbase of 120 inches at a cost of $1175-$1255. Recent auction estimates in number 1 condition are 50k.

Please go to the home page to join our national organization and a region near your residence. There are some awesome club members in your area. This is not a vehicle within my expertise. When you join you will have access to the LaSalle expert, John Bertolone who happens to have a trophy room for a car like yours.

I hope to meet and see your car at our Grand National in Boston this summer.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

Vinnay

thank you C.R. for the excellent information and props but I may arrive late for the Boston Grand Nationals, like maybe 2015 late!
Once I join, I will look up Mr. Bertolone and the other members, Cheers.
Vince Flores

1936 LaSalle Coupe
1952 Pontiac Chieftain
1926 Buick Standard
1983 Buick LeSabre

Vinnay

Here's a few more pictures of the '36 as I found her, few more to follow.
Vince Flores

1936 LaSalle Coupe
1952 Pontiac Chieftain
1926 Buick Standard
1983 Buick LeSabre

Vinnay

More pictures ...
Vince Flores

1936 LaSalle Coupe
1952 Pontiac Chieftain
1926 Buick Standard
1983 Buick LeSabre

KD

Congratulation Vince,
Nice project, another classic saved
Ken Dennison CLC#26801
Ken Dennison

1935 Auburn S/C Cabroilet
1940 Cadillac V16 7 passenger Imperial Sedan (9033)
1929 Ford Closed Cab Pick Up
1960 Austin Healey Sprite

47bigcadillac

I own a 1935 Lasalle coupe which is mechanically 99% the same as a 1936 Lasalle.

The first thing I would do is to remove the oil pan - there will be sludge to be cleaned out first.
You can have a good look at the cylinders walls, camshaft etc..from underneath before anything is moved.

Remove all the spark plugs, spray some penetrating oil inside the spark holes and remove the flywheel cover (the roundish cover behind the oil pan) and you can try to rotate the crankshaft manually and see what happens.

No need for a battery at this stage.

You may need to rotate the crankshaft anyway, in order to remove the oil pan if the crank counterweight of piston 1 (front) is at the bottom position - blocking removal of the edge of the oil pan.

R. Brandys

1932 355B  5 pass Coupe,  Fleetwood          
1935 LaSalle Coupe  5077
1947 Club Coupe      6207

47bigcadillac

34-36 lasalle engine from underneath
R. Brandys

1932 355B  5 pass Coupe,  Fleetwood          
1935 LaSalle Coupe  5077
1947 Club Coupe      6207

Vinnay

Thanks Ken / Rob for the comments and advice.

Rob, I saw your post on the piston removal and repair to your '35, very informative!

Be going to see my '36 on Sunday or Monday and spend some time cleaning her up. Will post pictures afterwards.
Vince Flores

1936 LaSalle Coupe
1952 Pontiac Chieftain
1926 Buick Standard
1983 Buick LeSabre

godi drexler

Hello Vinnay, welcome to this forum I am quite new here as well. Congratulations to your find. I found a 1936 cadillac convertible - look at the topic aboout it. I am jealous I must say I just love those coupes...  :) And you still have a beautiful inline 8 engine - mine is gone long ago and was replaced by a eastern europe 4 cylinder engine...

Regards Godi

Vinnay

Hey Godi - Very cool to have a '36 convertible and would love to cruise it in California. I will keep reading your blog and watching your progress and see you at the finish line.

More pictures ...
Vince Flores

1936 LaSalle Coupe
1952 Pontiac Chieftain
1926 Buick Standard
1983 Buick LeSabre

MoonDog

Very nice!! Just as the others have said, take the time and treat her gently, look forward to seeing the progress.
37 Lasalle
59 fleetwood
60 coupe