News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Carl 61 Fleetwood Phyllis

Started by Clewisiii, January 20, 2020, 09:10:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David King (kz78hy)

Rubber the Right Way sells Steele rubber parts and there are several glove box, fuel door bumpers available.  I used 1/8" thick ones on the '55 glove box.
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Clewisiii

I am not tearing into this radio myself. I just wanted to look at it.  Funny thing is this was working when I took the car apart. 

I am trying to make an order of operations and a part list to finish my IP

$1000 for dash wire harness
$600 for radio restoration
$1000 for various chrome
Maybe clock service. It was working
I can include $800 for steering wheel restoration there.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Clewisiii

Curiosity question. Probably no real answer.  This is about the lighter

1. How hot should they get
2. How long should they take to pop.

I never used one of these as a child. 
I soaked a lighter assembly in a cleaning material over night, then I hooked it to a power supply to test it.  After it popped it was at 800 degrees.  I tried to light a piece of paper, but only casually and it didn't light.  I don't know if pulling on a cigarette was necessary for these to light. 
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

The Tassie Devil(le)

They only have to get hot enough to release the bimetallic retaining spring, and every one I have used, many years ago, the coil glowed, and sufficiently hot enough to light a cigarette whilst it is being sucked on.   A cigar might take longer.

I just checked my '72 Eldo, and from cold, the lighter takes 14 Seconds to pop up.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Clewisiii

Restored and unrestored ash tray bracket.  It was nice to be able to go into my shop just on my lunch break and get one of these done.

Clewisiii

Seems like to much to pay someone $900 for this wire harness.  But I guess it is a seller's market.  I tried hunting down all the correct wire colors and fittings.  It would not be cheap enough to remake it myself.

Roger Zimmermann

When you are doing yourself that wiring you will have to buy some material unless you can save some sockets or connectors, then you will realize that the asking price is justified!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Clewisiii

Getting ready to reach out for steering wheel restoration again. I did not get any responses last time.   The lighter blue is horribly yellowed and discolored.  So we will just have to pick a color since there is nothing to match to.  That paint will also need to be used to pain the plastic filler panels on the back of the steering wheel.  Last time when I was asking for quotes I asked them to paint those parts at the same time.

David King (kz78hy)

Dennis Crooks at Quality Restorations did mine, perfect job.  He also did the knobs.  These are color cast like the original, not painted.  Expensive, but quality always is.  The grips will have the correct graining also.

https://qualityrestorations.com/

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Clewisiii

I told myself that I was not going to cut anymore of my vinyl until I got the rest of my order from SMS.  But I decided to risk it and get some material cut to try to tackle my sun visors. 

Clewisiii

I got my join and top stitch done on my sun visors today.  I did one thing differently then original.   The original had a raw cut edge of vinyl exposed.  I have the edge folded under to give a cleaner edge.

I need to move my electroplating parts out of my spray booth so I can glue a cotton batting to the back of these visor covers.  I am at a conference this weekend so I might not do it till next week.

Clewisiii

I do hope this turns out well, the only thing I am worried about now is sewing on the binding edge.

I am still worried about not having enough vinyl, I still do not have my last order of 2 yards from Nov 2020.  Since SMS still hasn't shipped I may call and add a couple of yards to the order for safety. 

Clewisiii

Wow, I just got a look at where the weather-stripping prices have gotten to.  it is going to be over $2000 for me. over $200 just for the rear vent window seals.  if you count the rear vent divider bars about $400.

dogbergs

Quote from: Clewisiii on February 17, 2022, 09:14:58 PM
Wow, I just got a look at where the weather-stripping prices have gotten to.  it is going to be over $2000 for me. over $200 just for the rear vent window seals.  if you count the rear vent divider bars about $400.

I'm right there with you..

Johan
-51 Cadillac serie 62 convertible, project
-64 Dodge Polara 2dHt, 1 driving and 1 for spares.
-70 Volvo 121 (Now sold after 21 years)
-63 Plymouth Max Wedge clone, project
-42 Harley WLA
-43 Royal Enfield WDCO
-33 Ford Pick up, project

David King (kz78hy)

I am over 3k on the 55 Eldorado weather-strips/rubber components.  Just the price to do high end cars.
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Clewisiii

Yes I already dropped over $600 on the body mounts, and I replaced all the bushings long ago.   It would still be great to get the 61/62 door conduits. But they are still not reproduced.

Clewisiii

These door strikers are available as reproduction. I planned to buy them so I felt there was no harm in trying to clean one up.   

The acid dip was very reactive. But I think it cleaned up very nice.  The only thing that didn't improve was the plastic. 

Clewisiii

Steven, Nylon is Plastic. Also goes by the PA for Polyamide.

I have looked into trying to get a CAD scan and reconstruct.
I have a lot of connections in rapid prototype. But it would be about $5000 minimum to get started.  I have 100 pounds of pelletized Santoprene resin in my garage waiting for some day to be able to do it. 

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: Clewisiii on February 20, 2022, 11:17:35 AM
The only thing that didn't improve was the plastic.
Why bother? from the pictures, those parts are still good looking. They will travel more or less into the strikers, depending of their wear. Their function will be the same.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Highwayman68

What are you using to clean the lighter and ash tray bracket?
1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981