News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

My 1958 limo project

Started by Matt Ferrall, April 26, 2020, 12:23:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Ferrall

Well it has been a long time since I’ve been on the site. Y’all know life can take up a lot of your time. The limo project has slowly progressed over the years but it is finally being painted. Piece by piece. All the Crome and stainless has been redone or polished so it’s ready to go on when I get it back.

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Lookin good Matt !!!!

Do Not Stop !!

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

James Landi

A close friend of mine had one of these during the 70's.  It is a wonderful ride... smooth, quiet, and so luxurious. Once you get this machine totally assembled, you'll thoroughly enjoy the experience of driving and riding in it.  It's the Boeing 707 in its day.   We all enjoy pictures of progress, so I encourage you to keep them coming. Happy day, James

Matt Ferrall

Thanks guys! I won’t stop. I will send more pictures as I go on.

Matt Ferrall

I got the car back from paint last week. I wanted to share some pictures. I’m very happy with how it turned out.

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Looks great Matt !!!

The best part is coming up....put the car back together....everyday it looks better and better....

That's going to be a cool cruiser !!

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

James Landi

Matt, 
DO I see a tri-carburetor set up on top of a GM big block?   Lord knows, having any additional reserve power will provide you with the extra margin you need to keep all the accessories and extra weight moving.    The body and paint work look glorious.  Will the interior be of original design, or do you have an alternative in the making?  It's all looking great, and as mentioned, I spent many hours in a friend's '58 formal limo back in the 70's.  It is a magnificent riding car, and was memorable in so many ways.   James 

Cadman-iac

That looks like an original engine to me. Very nice setup. Good luck with your assembly of it. Beautiful car.
James, I can see why you thought it was a  Chevy engine,  being black and having those chrome valve covers hides the details.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Matt Ferrall

Thanks you guy’s! It is the original 365 engine and transmission. I found the 1958  Edelbrock intake on eBay one night and had to have it. I had it polished and got the stromburg carburetors to go on it. A little adjustments and it runs perfectly. The interior I’m thinking of going tuxedo white and black. The gauges will be removed and install all digital gauges in the original chrome bezel. Just thoughts. Wheel and tire combination is kind of what I’m thinking about now.

Matt Ferrall

It won’t be ready for the grand Nationals this year but hopefully next year. I’ve never been to the event but I’m going this year to see what it’s all about and check out some awesome Cadillacs and meet other Cadillac enthusiasts.

Cadman-iac

I've never been to one either, and I don't know as I can make it to this one,  although I'm sure it would be a great time.
I would love to see your car when it's finished. You're off to a great start. Love that Sixpack!!
CLC# 32373

Matt Ferrall

Thanks Richard. Maybe next year.

harry s

Looks great. The bigger the better.     Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

James Landi

Oh my yes, Harry-- and the weight-- think of the additional weight that adds so much to the ride.  As I mention above, riding in my friend's '58 Limo was a similar sensation to riding in a Boeing 707-- a truly luxurious ride-- size and weight truly matter.   Happy day, James

Lexi

While the convertibles and coup models get most of the press, nothing says you have arrived better, than a Series 75. They were the flagship of the Cadillac line, & embody what many see as the epitome of what a Cadillac should be. I believe it was Richard M. Langworth who wrote:

"One finds it hard to recommend a Cadillac Seventy-Five as a collector car, but for sheer presence and awesome size it can't be beat. They are relatively rare, though rarity is not much of a factor here. Whether you really need one of these behemoths is a question you must ponder closely...

"These Cadillacs may be summarized as follows: enormous in every dimension, expensive to buy, run and live with; impossible to restore; absolute bears to service; of little collector potential; and about the most impressive things [ever to have rolled] out of the guarded citadels of General Motors."
  Clay/Lexi

Cadman-iac

Well put Clay, I couldn't have said it better. Honestly,  I don't talk like that!
Well said!!
CLC# 32373

jaxops

The paint is on!  You are so far ahead of me!  Well done sir.
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

Matt Ferrall

Yes, well put Clay. Yes Mark it finally happened. You will get there my man!

Lexi

Looking forward to updates with photos Matt. Looks like you got a wonderful project going there. Clay/Lexi

Matt Ferrall

The car is going together pretty well. I need a little help. I'm needing the bolts for the front and rear door hinge to body. Can someone point me in the right direction to who might have them? Thanks in advance.

Matt