News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Finally acknowledged as the Standard of the World

Started by James Landi, November 09, 2021, 06:45:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgrab

Quote from: kkkaiser on November 10, 2021, 10:28:33 PM
(My modus operandi is to buy the best car that will last the longest.  I expect a minimum of 200k miles without any major component replacement, i.e., motor, trans (or EV batteries) etc.  )

get a diesel!!  my 05 silverado 2500 has 467,000,   no major stuff.

Funny, I have been planning on getting a diesel truck...  been looking at GMC vs Titan.  Have to say my coworker has a Duramax and has had gasket failures..  Not doing anything til there is some normalcy though...

As, for this being the last gas powered Cadillac... I'm on the fence that it's the second coming of the '76 Eldorado convertible.
1941 Cadillac 6267D
1948 Packard Custom Eight Victoria
1956 Oldsmobile 88 Sedan

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Big Apple Caddy on November 10, 2021, 10:17:37 AM
There is a V8 in the Escalade.

And for those nostalgic for the 1970s and 80s Cadillac diesels, you can also get an I6 DIESEL in the Escalade offering higher MPG than a Cadillac Cimarron. :)

The Escalade is an abomination.   :-X

SUV:
Suburban
Uhttack
Vehicle
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

The Tassie Devil(le)

I agree.   The Escalade is a glorified Chevrolet Suburban.

When I first saw one in person in 2002, I couldn't believe what I was seeing.   But, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't save Cadillac as they appeared to be popular.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on November 13, 2021, 10:33:00 PM

The Escalade is an abomination.   :-X

SUV:
Suburban
Uhttack
Vehicle

The best selling, most expensive, most profitable with the highest resale value. It is also the only model with 11,000 lbs of towing capacity.

All Cadillacs should be such abominations.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Big Apple Caddy

The Escalade is currently Cadillac's bestselling model in the U.S. and had been its #2 bestseller for a number of years.  So far in 2021, the Escalade has outsold the CT4 and CT5 combined by more than 2 to 1.

jdemerson

Quote from: James Landi on November 11, 2021, 06:58:30 AM
"With these Blackwing cars (CT4 and CT5) the car mag guys are finally admitting Cadillac has shown up the Germans, and they're not qualifying the praise.  Cadillac won.  It's sad to the point of tragic that Cadillac says these are to be the last."

I think Chris makes a salient point.  In 2004 when introduced as a"break through" the critics wrote " XLR is a wonderful car, but, however, in contrast,"  Yes, with the Black Wing" Cadillac finally created "the ultimate driving machine."   (Wonder how many they'll sell?)

Here's a fan of 50s Cadillacs, but I very much appreciate the points that James, Chris, Big Apple, Eric and others are making. The two new BLACKWING models are fantastic cars and world class. For those who long for larger cars with smooth rides and V8s, I'll mention the CT6-V Blackwing (also the Platinum model with the Blackwing engine) as superior cars worthy of the Cadillac badge.  But of course they are gone because big sedans are not what the market wants. What the market DOES want is Escalades, especially the new model...

John Emerson
1952 Cadillac Sedan 6219X  (great car, but no match for a CT6-V Blackwing or a CT5-V Blackwing)
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

Jamurray

cadillacmike68

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: Jamurray on November 16, 2021, 07:27:00 PM
They don't write songs about BMWs.

There are actually a number of songs that at the very least mention BMWs.  Do a search for "songs about BMWs" and you will see various examples, forum discussions, etc. about these songs.

And it's not just Bimmers, there are songs about all sorts of makes/models out there.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Just found this which I found surprising.

While Mercedes may appear more often in popular music in terms of raw numbers, I think "Cadillac" songs probably have better overall recognition with the general public.

https://journal.classiccars.com/2019/08/21/what-car-brand-is-mentioned-in-the-most-music-lyrics/

LyricFind, a company that works with more than 5,000 music publishers and specializes in licensed lyrics, has found that Mercedes or Benz is the most-mentioned car brand, included in 4,952 lyrics.

Cadillac is second with 2,022 mentions, followed by Bentley (1,852), Chevrolet/Chevy (1,807), Ferrari/Rari (1,673) and then comes Porsche (1,455), just ahead of Lamborghini/Lambo (1,451).
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Scot Minesinger

The horsepower race is a little silly now.  No one can drive those Cadillacs on the street like they were being driven on the race track.  When I drive my 1970 Cadillac, I'm never thinking "wish this had more power".  Most who ride with me think I drive too fast and too aggressively, few ever tailgate me.  Much beyond 300hp in a sedan or 400hp in a large SUV/truck is not that useful.  Once the power is adequate, then styling, comfort, driving pleasure and etc. become priorities.  If my Mother in law was driving the Cadillac CT5 V, I could beat her to any destination using normal streets and highways in my 1970 Cadillac because driving skill is important.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

dochawk

Quote from: Big Apple Caddy on November 14, 2021, 09:36:14 AM
The Escalade is currently Cadillac's bestselling model in the U.S. and had been its #2 bestseller for a number of years.  So far in 2021, the Escalade has outsold the CT4 and CT5 combined by more than 2 to 1.

it has them out-cylindered by a similar margin!
;D

1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: dochawk on January 19, 2022, 10:37:54 PM
it has them out-cylindered by a similar margin!
;D

Largely true, although the CT5-V Blackwing also has a V8.  Plus, the CT5-V and Premium Luxury and the CT4-V Blackwing have V6 engines.

Scot Minesinger

Yes a V-8 sounds so nice.  My 6 cylinder modern BMW could eat my 1970 Cadillac alive on the race track.  However, the 1970 Cadillac engine sounds better, the 1970 Cadillac is way cooler, and the 1970 Cadillac is more comfortable (riding/driving/plush).
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

jaxops

1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

Michael Petti

At some point the government will end the subsidy and we the car buying public will be Char,ie Brown kicking the football!