News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1968 Eldorado - $13,300 - St Louis Area - For sale - Not Mine

Started by Bryan J Moran, December 07, 2021, 09:53:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan J Moran

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/284589876959559/?ref=search&referral_code=marketplace_search&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3Ac06afee8-b37f-409a-b53c-b278085fd029

What is going on with the hideaway headlights backing?  Do you think that the black paint has just worn off?

I communicated with the seller.  He is a fireman out of St Louis, more into Mopars but bought this car out of San Diego from the original owner several years ago.  Appears to have original houndstooth type cloth upholstery, he says no rust, garage kept, he thinks 88,000 miles, but I keep looking at the odd headlight covers.

CLC 35000 in number only

hornetball

Looks like an honest car fairly priced.  A quick flat-black spray job of the headlight covers will take care of that issue.  I hate vinyl roofs -- that would be the area I'd really want to look at.  Nice that it has the original floormats.

James Landi

The rear air ride compressor is likely not working---(90% certain) and, yes, the car will run and drive, HOWEVER, these cars were built with SINGLE leaf rear springs, and those springs are not designed to carry the weight without the help of the auto/adjustable air suspension.  (my 67, way back in the early 70's, lost its air ride during a lenghy trip and literally broke one of the rear leaf springs when I hit a pot hole. THe vacuum actuated compressor is likely worn out and impossible to repair.  Several work arounds can either restore the suspension to a "mostly" suitable height, or a more complex work around can make it auto adjust.  Several additional cautionary notes:  the automatic climate control probably is not working and that involves a lot of 1/8 vacuum hoses and vacuum/electric actuators....  I'd count on steering parts replacement--- pitman arm and idler arm, ball joints-- and then there are the front wheel drive axle rubber boots. (disc front brakes are far superior to drums all around--- and they likely need up dates)   I absolutely loved my 67--- but to achieve a lovely ride, I had to inflate the tires to Cadillac's pressure specs--- if memory serves, 24 psi front and 22 psi rear.... otherwise, the ride was hard over imperfect road surfaces.  With everything working, the experience was distinctive--- very comfortable, and with a real sensation of being pulled rather than pushed-- and extraordinay on snow covered roads.  They are great cars with everything working as designed.      James

Bryan J Moran

James:

I agree the rear automatic suspension set up worries me.  There is of course, no mention in the ad content of any of these issues.  He did tell me the car came to him with a stack of paperwork.   We all know these are complicated cars.

My "fix" would be air shocks but that sounds simplistic.  And I am not even 100% sure they make air shocks for the Eldorado / Toronado.  Having restored a 1966 Toronado, I replaced both the horizontal and vertical shocks in the rear. 

Another option might be a helper spring affixed to the one long leaf spring. 

Climate control function always worries me as well for 1960's GM cars. 
CLC 35000 in number only

James Landi

Bryan,
I love the description: razor tail--- I recall after market "helper springs" that were easily clamped to shocks...  I owned a 72 and used a schrader valve system mounted under the rear bumper--- the shocks held air for several weeks, simple fixes.    I especially like the paint and roof colors--- this car could have plenty of WOW factor response.  My 67 had ONE wheel bearing per front axle--- a very expensive one--- but I think that was a one year only design----  if the car truly has under 100K miles, it's likely not going to sink anyone with repairs BUT the motor mounts on these became tender over time, so rabbit starts are out. A "pimple" midway on the hood is a tell tail  And, of course, coolant can turn acidic, fluids need to be changed, etc...  A test drive and lift inspection would be essential... the front floors are the first to go on these for obvious reasons.  Hell's bells, it's over 50 years old and a real "looker"  As I mentioned before, it's a unique drivig experience.   Happy day, James