News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1957 Seville $10,500 Dual Quad

Started by fiftysixcaddy, January 10, 2022, 04:04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Landi

This car must have an interesting history, just judging from the "wide whites" and its general condition.  Perhaps one of our Chicago members will get "the rest of the story."   Thanks for posting, James

Bryan J Moran

Quote from: James Landi on January 11, 2022, 08:01:03 AM
This car must have an interesting history, just judging from the "wide whites" and its general condition.  Perhaps one of our Chicago members will get "the rest of the story."   Thanks for posting, James

I believe I have seen this seller's "ads" on Chicago Craigslist for several years.  I believe he also has a 49 CdV and a 61 convertible and/or coupe.    But I may be incorrect. 

Not sure what all that means, are the cars over-priced?  I think there are just fewer and fewer folks doing restorations, and when they do, they pick more re-saleable cars.

CLC 35000 in number only

David King (kz78hy)

Rick is a CLC member and has a large Cadillac parts business, flips lots of car also.
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

PhantomCaddy

Yea they are Ricks cars i live not far from his garage he has different caddys all the time.

James Landi

This all begins to make sense... in a large metropolitan area the size of CHicago, there are bound to be a few classic cars stored for decades that went into storage in very used but "runnable" condition.  When I see a Cadillac of this vintage, my initial reaction is to consider this "thought experiment, just what would need to be done to get it road worthy, and decent looking, yet realizing that such a "rara avis" among Cadillacs should be restored.  Maybe the stuck engine can easily be unstuck and the rest of the mechanicals are relatively easy fixes..then some body work, and a Maaco paint job.  Well, in any case,    Let's hope that it goes to a good home and is preserved, if not fully restored.    THanks for posting... James

Bryan J Moran

I meant no disrespect to the seller.  I just noticed he has had ads for a long time.   Now he seems to have moved to facebook.   His cars always ended up in my Craigslist searches. 
CLC 35000 in number only

James Landi

All good points, Bryan. And as you've noted, most of the ads on Craig's List and Facebook rarely present cars well.  We've come to expect variious marketing outlets with varying degrees of appeal for us lookers and buyers. There are rare exceptions of listings presented on national platforms  by companies that focus marketing on "select" cars, and these folks are seemingly concerned about their online reputations... the good news, I think, is that one can advertise nationally and attact interest among tens of thousands of interested foks.  I recall decades ago, when The New York Times would run "classified ads" in their Sunday paper...the times they are changin'  and the good news is that we can "window shop" and speculate about what we've discovered.   I think, though, that the days of a locally presented "Sunday Driver" at a really cheap price are gone...  Way back in the 80's when I worked in Naples, the used car manager would call me personally about a Cadillac that came in "on trade" that he thought I might consider purchasing before it went to auction.    Happy day,  James

fiftysixcaddy

I was more curious as to the rarity of the vehicle and that's why I shared it. The first thing I notice is that they never post the ID plate to properly identify the vehicle so that's the first question I have. So, having said that is it rare, i.e. low production or options.

Bryan J Moran

Dan-

Total production of 1957 Sevilles is 2100.    The dual quad motor was an option in 1957.

In the parlance of rarity, 1957 Sevilles surely are BUT because they are a unique "halo" car there are quite a few in the club.   I looked in my 2018 roster and there are just about the same number collected as series 62 or CdVs.

Eldorado Biarritz numbers are also high for 1957. 

This car is appealing to me, but I am one of the rare individuals that prefer the reverse cant of the fin for 1957.  Fins had been around almost 10 years in 1957, so perhaps they were getting to be "normal".  Kind of how you view a new car design like the Chrysler 300C of about 15 years ago and go wow, that's different, and now they blend into the background. 

So I think for 1957, Cadillac designers sought a different look in both the Seville and CdV fins, and they hit a home run. 

This car is a tough one.  Rare, yes, but is 2100 considered truly rare by most?  Not sure.  2nd, cost to restore would be astronomical.  I see the seats still look decent, but if you restored everything around them, they might not.   A full on restoration would likely run $150,000. 

I am not one of those guys that states "buy the best one you can" or "it will never be worth what it costs to restore", these often quoted comments have blurred the reason for the hobby, for some. 

I love this cars colors, whatever they called that Sage Green Metallic, at least it's not Black or White.  But at the end of the day for me the 1957 CdV is just as nice.  The reverse cant C Pillar and Fin, combined with a beautifully styled front make this my favorite Cadillac of the 50's.  In my opinion, a much better looking car then the excessive1959 Cadillacs.
CLC 35000 in number only

rwchatham CLC 21892

Beautiful car but sadly it will probably never be restored . With the costs of restoration and the lack of people willing to do them  it will sadly bounce around as it  sits . In these days it is not  rare enough to stand  out  from the crowd , not a special color combo or a special order  car so nothing separates it from any other 57 seville. Maybe if it was an s o car or a special body number car so unless a buyer has an emotional connection  to this particular car no-one will throw 150k at a restoration on it 
R. Waligora