News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Avoiding Scammer - Yes This is a Real Thing

Started by JLB, January 12, 2022, 01:05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JLB

I almost got caught up in a scam. To find a part, I posted a note to "Want to Buy - Parts". In reply I received a note. Upon my asking for pictures, the seller did not comply. Next I could not find the seller on the forum, on Facebook, nor on Linkedin.

My suggestions on actions to help avoid a scammer:
- do business with somebody with references,
- ask the seller to put the part on eBay
- pay for the part using US Postal Service Money Order (traceable right into the bank account)  and USPS is said to investigate mail fraud
Jim LeBlanc
jim_leblanc@yahoo.com
1940 V16 Town Car
CLC Member #33340

GregoryAlan

Quote from: JLB on January 12, 2022, 01:05:22 PM
- pay for the part using US Postal Service Money Order (traceable right into the bank account)  and USPS is said to investigate mail fraud

Don't be fooled into thinking that the USPS will do anything to help!

Lexi

On Ebay you usually have buyer protection. Plus if you pay using your credit card there is protection there. Clay/Lexi

dn010

Using eBay also gives you the benefit of seeing one's feedback. If you ask someone to put something on there and you see they have 0 or 1 feedback, then you'd know something is wrong. If they decline putting an item on there, be suspicious. While I try my hardest to sell things outright to avoid fees and now the added reporting/tax that ebay claims they're required to collect, if someone feels more comfortable using eBay, you can bet I will put the part on there to sell it, get it to someone who needs it, and get paid even if fees are taken. No sense in letting a part sit on a shelf even longer over a 10% fee.
-----Dan Benedek
'57 Cadillac Sedan Deville 6239DX
'81 DMC DeLorean