News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

BELT LINE REMOVAL HELP

Started by MTOONS, November 24, 2021, 04:37:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MTOONS

I cant seem to figure out how to get the lower piece of the FRONT DOOR OUTER PANEL UPPER ,piece.
It has a nut on each end . If there is more they are hiding under the lip in the door. The piece looks like a L in the pictures .It is 1/4 wide and is independent from the wider piece.

Big Fins

A big help would be to know what year and model you are working on. Yes, I know some can tell by the door handle, but not all of us.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

MTOONS

OOPS,1973 Eldorado,
it is the hockey looing piece I want off then I can get the brushed looking piece off.

Big Fins

Pulling the door panel will reveal a few more fasteners on the inside of the door skin. You may even have to remove the glass to get to them. You may be able to even reach in up under the glass. Keep the Band-Aids close by. I hate working inside of doors.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Caddylackn

I like those 7 mil nitrile gloves for this type of blind feeling around with your fingers work.  If the gloves fit tight you have good sensitivity to feel what's going on, but will escape from most sheet metal cuts and knuckle scrapes.

Some of this type of trim may want to slide off when you remove the two end fasteners.  There may be some openings in the trim hold down rail that allow this piece to come off the fasteners after it is slid a few inches.  If somebody can post a picture of this trim piece off, it will be clear how to remove it.  Maybe look for one for sale on Ebay that is already removed?
'61 Fleetwood 60- owned for 31 years
'61 Series 62 2-door - sold
'64 Series 62 2-door -sold
'67 Sedan De Ville - sold
'74 Eldorado Convertible - sold

fishnjim

Once you get the two end nuts off, slide a thin plastic trim knife, old credit card, etc under the molding to locate any other fasteners/clips inside the door.   
It looks three piece, you have to remove the bottom and probably the top to get the center out, if it doesn't slide out on it's own once the bottom is off.   Center could be fastened with adhesive tape, also.
You don't give reason why you want it off, so must not have another to replace it.   
All else fails, take to the local body shop and they'll gladly remove it.